The Black Crowes or Pearl Jam?

Texas King

The Black Crowes or Pearl Jam?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. The Black Crowes or Pearl Jam?

• The Black Crowes
    • Pearl Jam

I have more Black Crowes music ( including Rich Robinson's solo stuff ) and seen them in concert so.... Black Crowes. Their earlier music has a Stones feel to it.

I have the Pearl Jam Ten album and it is fantastic music.

• Like 2

Yep, I saw the Crowes in Feb 1990 - they opened for Junkyard, and there were about 5 people watching the Black Crowes

They were incredible, and definitely a band that needed to be seen live to be fully appreciated ..

• Like 1

Black Cowes wrote great music. From the heart. Honestly ReRushed great music doesn't have to be innovative to be excellent and Black Crowes are one of the most outstanding bands I have ever come across. Just great song after great song. They made a lasting career and have many fans, and really, in all honesty Pearl Jam are great but they don't exactly have the most consistent discography. Black Crowes do.

OK. Again, my point isn't to persuade. Like what you like. I just find the Black Crowes to be a very derivative band.

That's hilarious to read on a RUSH forum.

Black Cowes wrote great music. From the heart. Honestly ReRushed great music doesn't have to be innovative to be excellent and Black Crowes are one of the most outstanding bands I have ever come across. Just great song after great song. They made a lasting career and have many fans, and really, in all honesty Pearl Jam are great but they don't exactly have the most consistent discography. Black Crowes do.

OK. Again, my point isn't to persuade. Like what you like. I just find the Black Crowes to be a very derivative band.

How so? Are you saying Rush is as blatantly derivative as the Black Crowes?

• Like 1

I don't even think Pearl Jam musically belong in a same line with bands Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. Firstly they don't have nothing in common with metal, secondly they don't have nothing in common with punk rock as these other bands have. PJ is a band from the Seattle scene which is musically closest to the 70's American hard rock sound.

Pearl Jam's founding members were in Green River, which is far more punk than any of the bands you listed. They did their classic rock/grunge thing, but have moved back to a more punk sound than any of the bands you listed ever did, other than Nirvana. Of course, I like the non-punk stuff much better.

This matchup seems very strange to me as the bands are nothing alike. The Black Crowes are much more rooted in classic rock and blues, and Pearl Jam is far more diverse.

This matchup seems very strange to me as the bands are nothing alike. The Black Crowes are much more rooted in classic rock and blues, and Pearl Jam is far more diverse.

I think a better match would be PJ and the Smashing Pumpkins.

• Like 1

That was a long-time knock on RUSH by the critics. And you have to admit that RUSH have notoriously changed their sound based on trends.
  • Like 1

What an odd combo. Two completely different bands.

Those were my thoughts as well.

I think I'm going to create a poll pitting Men Without Hats against Jefferson Airplane. ;)

• Like 1

What an odd combo. Two completely different bands.

Those were my thoughts as well.

I think I'm going to create a poll pitting Men Without Hats against Jefferson Airplane. ;)

:LOL:
  • Like 1

The only album from PJ that I ever cared for was Ten...and it got so over played, I have no desire to here it. As soon as hear Jeremy on the radio, I instantly change the station.

I still enjoy listen to the Black Crows.

They are. What...exactly...is the "Rush sound". They've always sounded like what's current.

Yep, I saw the Crowes in Feb 1990 - they opened for Junkyard, and there were about 5 people watching the Black Crowes

They were incredible, and definitely a band that needed to be seen live to be fully appreciated ..

I saw them live 49 times, over a period of seventeen years- including 16 or 17 shows from July '96 to July '97 alone...among the best live rock and roll I've ever witnessed.

Oh, and also- they never played the same set list twice. Time was when you could go to three shows in a row and not hear so much as one repeated song.

• Like 5

That was a long-time knock on RUSH by the critics. And you have to admit that RUSH have notoriously changed their sound based on trends.

That's differennt than being derivative. Sure, the first album was derivatve of Zeppelin and a song here and there sounds like, or more accurately, is in the style of a trend or what was current, but it alwasys sounded distinctly Rush. I never heard or saw Rush sounding or looking like Yes or ELP or the Police. The influence or inspiration, sure. The Black Crowes come across as carbon copies. Anyway, like I mentioned, l prefer Pearl Jam and Rush to the Black Crowes because I feel they have a more unique identity from their influences than the Black Crowes. They are less derivative. How's that?

They are. What...exactly...is the "Rush sound". They've always sounded like what's current.

I'll give you Zep on the first album. Otherwise, other than incorporating new styles, where do they sound like other bands? Are you saying you can confuse "The Enemy Within" with the Police? Or "Everyday Glory" with U2? I never felt that Rush was a band that originated a trend or style. I always felt they went with the flow, so to speak. But, I never felt they were derivative to the point of unoriginality. I don't feel that way about the Black Crowes. I remember when they came out in the early 1990s and thinking they were a tribute band. Now, that doesn't mean they weren't capable of having a good song. They were never my thing, that's all.

• Like 1

Ten and Vs are like Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman. They're so flawless that you can be spotty for the next thirty years and still be seen as a great artist. :)

Just like with the Smashing Pumpkins, you can take outtakes from the first 3 albums and make another great album from that. Pumpkins actually did do that, and Pearl Jam came close with Lost Dogs, though they included a lot of crap too.

• Like 1

I'll give you Zep on the first album. Otherwise, other than incorporating new styles, where do they sound like other bands? Are you saying you can confuse "The Enemy Within" with the Police? Or "Everyday Glory" with U2? I never felt that Rush was a band that originated a trend or style. I always felt they went with the flow, so to speak. But, I never felt they were derivative to the point of unoriginality. I don't feel that way about the Black Crowes. I remember when they came out in the early 1990s and thinking they were a tribute band. Now, that doesn't mean they weren't capable of having a good song. They were never my thing, that's all.

I wonder if their first hit weren't Hard to Handle if you'd still feel that way.

The band grew up a ton between Shake Your Money Maker and Southern Harmony, and again between Southern Harmony and Amorica.

Ten and Vs are like Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman. They're so flawless that you can be spotty for the next thirty years and still be seen as a great artist. :)

Dead on.
  • Like 2

I wonder if their first hit weren't Hard to Handle if you'd still feel that way.

The band grew up a ton between Shake Your Money Maker and Southern Harmony, and again between Southern Harmony and Amorica.

They are not my thing. I don't go out of my way to listen to them, but I heard enough and watched enough videos to reach the conclusion that they aped their influences. Now, it's not my opinion that they are bad at doing it, they are good at what they do, nostalgia and tribute. Like 'em all you want. I simply find them derivative and unoriginal.