Pony Car War

ILSnwdog

Pony Car War  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these three cars would you rather own?

• Chevy Camaro
    • Ford Mustang
    • Dodge Challenger

Old or new, it's same: Mustang.

Rented an ecoboost Mustang convertible last summer. Very nice sports car. Would want. Upwards of thirty five grand though

Two camps. The 'SPORTS CAR' camp, to which a TWO SEATER is the ONLY vehicle who should be afforded the title 'SPORTS car', while anything with more than two seats and doors should only be awarded the title of 'SPORTY' car. I'm with the more HARD LINE group. All of the 'newer' Retro look cars, Dodge, Chevy and FORD, are SPORTY cars. Not SPORTS cars. As the term PONY car goes, here is the Wikipedia definition: "Pony car is an American class of automobile launched and inspired by the Ford Mustang in 1964. The term describes an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a SPORTY or performance-oriented image." no Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth entries until the early '70s and even the Challenger stretches the definition a bit. I, myself, tend to LIKE the Retro Remakes of popular 'Pony cars' such as the Mustang, Camaro & Challenger and Charger.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20on%2050s%20pick-up.gif

Rented an ecoboost Mustang convertible last summer. Very nice sports car. Would want. Upwards of thirty five grand though

Two camps. The 'SPORTS CAR' camp, to which a TWO SEATER is the ONLY vehicle who should be afforded the title 'SPORTS car', while anything with more than two seats and doors should only be awarded the title of 'SPORTY' car. I'm with the more HARD LINE group. All of the 'newer' Retro look cars, Dodge, Chevy and FORD, are SPORTY cars. Not SPORTS cars. As the term PONY car goes, here is the Wikipedia definition: "Pony car is an American class of automobile launched and inspired by the Ford Mustang in 1964. The term describes an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a SPORTY or performance-oriented image." no Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth entries until the early '70s and even the Challenger stretches the definition a bit. I, myself, tend to LIKE the Retro Remakes of popular 'Pony cars' such as the Mustang, Camaro & Challenger and Charger.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20on%2050s%20pick-up.gif

Sigh.. see what I mean? Mustang may have inspired the pony car term but the Plymouth Barracuda came first dammit!!! Fukk Wikipedia!

The 60's (A body) barracudas were pony cars but I'm not sure the E body cars (70-74 Challenger and barracudas) would be considered pony cars.. I may be wrong though

As for the retro styling, as a mopar fan it pains me to say this but Camaro did a better job. Squint hard enough and the new Camaro looks just like a 69.

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

Sigh.. see what I mean? Mustang may have inspired the pony car term but the Plymouth Barracuda came first dammit!!! Fukk Wikipedia!

The 60's (A body) barracudas were pony cars but I'm not sure the E body cars (70-74 Challenger and barracudas) would be considered pony cars.. I may be wrong though

As for the retro styling, as a mopar fan it pains me to say this but Camaro did a better job. Squint hard enough and the new Camaro looks just like a 69.

Barracudas were available AT THE SAME TIME as Mustangs, according to Wikipedia. Just saw it with my OWN EYES. so SHUP! :nya nya:

:banana:

Edited by OldRUSHfan

Barracudas were available AT THE SAME TIME as Mustangs, according to Wikipedia. Just saw it with my OWN EYES. so SHUP! :nya nya:

:banana:

Fuc dat mate I read it in a magazine like 15 years ago.. I don't forget mindless car facts. Especially mopar ones! Gotta look for proof now.. lol

• Like 1

That was easy :)

http://www.allpar.com/model/cuda.html

This looks like a cool page actually, but ya the barracuda beat mustang to showrooms by 2 weeks according to this.

Edited by MMCXII

This looks like a cool page actually, but ya the barracuda beat mustang to showrooms by 2 weeks according to this.

Sorry, but I don't trust 'personal Blog' type sites. they are nothing but a barrel to stand on and lie atrociously. [and I MEAN that] It's just a peculiarity of mine.... :LOL:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/dance%20banana016.gif

• Like 1

Sorry, but I don't trust 'personal Blog' type sites. they are nothing but a barrel to stand on and lie atrociously. [and I MEAN that] It's just a peculiarity of mine.... :LOL:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/dance%20banana016.gif

Luckily In this upside down world of fake news and alternate realities we each get to live in our own parallel universe ;)

• Like 1

Luckily In this upside down world of fake news and alternate realities we each get to live in our own parallel universe ;)

[ Ed McMahon voice] "You are CORRECT, SIR!"[end Ed McMahon voice] :LOL:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/PBJ%20time%20Banana%202.jpg

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for the Camero. I hold it as a very close second to the Mustang and, depending on the year, it's a better car. I think that up until the Mustang went to independent rear suspension, the Camero was much better on the track and more comfortable. That changed in 2015.

How was it? I have a hard time accepting a four banger into the Mustang herd.

I rented a Cadillac ATS this week since I'm already very familiar with Charger and Challenger. The ATS has a turbo four in what is intended to be a sporting vehicle. In touring mode the turbo lag is unsatisfactory, in sport mode the computer mapping provides smother satisfying acceleration. I prefer a torque monster and would choose the 5.0 over the Ecoboost.

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for the Camero. I hold it as a very close second to the Mustang and, depending on the year, it's a better car. I think that up until the Mustang went to independent rear suspension, the Camero was much better on the track and more comfortable. That changed in 2015.

Car and Driver swears the new Camaro is superior, they thought they loved the Mustang in the Camaro showed up.

• Like 2

A couple of points:

1. No one cares about the first barracuda. It was pug ugly and sold like it and ran like it.

2. The Mustang IS the original pony car, hence the name. No one can deny the spectacular styling, though the chassis and performance is open for critic.

3. I'm a GM F body guy but the first gen camaro really sucked. 69 and up was much improved. My favorite two cars ever were a 75 camaro and my current 01 Trans Am.

4. Mid sized cars like the Grand Prix or Gran Torino are true muscle cars if so equipped, but not pony cars.

5. Even full sized cars can be muscle cars with the right equipment.

6. The 70-71 Cuda is perhaps the sexiest car of all time. Yup.

• Like 3

For one, it's faster than the V6

And that V6 is faster than the V8 was six years ago

• Like 1

A couple of points:

1. No one cares about the first barracuda. It was pug ugly and sold like it and ran like it.

2. The Mustang IS the original pony car, hence the name. No one can deny the spectacular styling, though the chassis and performance is open for critic.

3. I'm a GM F body guy but the first gen camaro really sucked. 69 and up was much improved. My favorite two cars ever were a 75 camaro and my current 01 Trans Am.

4. Mid sized cars like the Grand Prix or Gran Torino are true muscle cars if so equipped, but not pony cars.

One of your favourite cars is a 75 Camaro.. Kudos to you for being man enough to admit that on a public forum. ;) ;)

Agree with number 6 though. Right up there with the 69 charger!

• Like 1

A couple of points:

One of your favourite cars is a 75 Camaro.. Kudos to you for being man enough to admit that on a public forum. ;) ;)

:LOL:

My '79 Mustang Cobra Turbo was a '4-Banger' with a Turbo booster, and about a year after I bought it, a kid with a brand new 5.0 8 cylinder,pulled up next to me revving his engine. When the light turned green, I left him in the dust with my '4-banger' and my friend and I had a BIG LAUGH!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20riding%20train.gif

A couple of points:

It wasn't stock. Had the vette engine, four bolt main,, 2.02 heads, high rise with a double pumper, headers and thrush mufflers with the clips that you could pop off and run straight headers. Never got around to putting a four speed in it but it did ok with the 350 turbo.

I never minded the chrome front bumper. Had the only one around. : )

• Like 1

For one, it's faster than the V6

And that V6 is faster than the V8 was six years ago

Yep, I'm continually amazed by the arms race going on. That's why it depends completely on the year and not the model.

• Like 1

My '79 Mustang Cobra Turbo was a '4-Banger' with a Turbo booster, and about a year after I bought it, a kid with a brand new 5.0 8 cylinder,pulled up next to me revving his engine. When the light turned green, I left him in the dust with my '4-banger' and my friend and I had a BIG LAUGH!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20riding%20train.gif

That was a decent car in it's day, but comparing it to the old 5.0 isn't really saying much.

The four-cylinder Mustang II that was made between 74 and 78 was the reason that the Mustang II is remembered as the Mustang that isn't worth the name.

It was a mistake back then to make the four-banger Mustang. They should have left that to the Pinto.

Technology has come a long way and you can squeeze a lot of horsepower out a smaller displacement engine now. But that's not what muscle cars are all about. (IMO)

• Like 2

A couple of points:

It wasn't stock. Had the vette engine, four bolt main,, 2.02 heads, high rise with a double pumper, headers and thrush mufflers with the clips that you could pop off and run straight headers.

Thanks for explaining because I was impressed and perplexed at the same time reading your post.

1 and 2. It's all true...sadly all true. Us Mopar guys like the arrived first bit. It was a fastback Valiant but the Vailiant wasn't good looking yet. The 2.5 million in sales for Mustang prove it started a new genre of car. The first Barracuda ran well enough for the times.

3. Don't tell anybody lest I lose my Mopar cred, I like GM F bodies shhhhhh a lot. It pains me that in Enid some homeless guy is living in a 20th anniversary package Trans Am. Share your '01 Trans Am with us.

6. Truth.

• Like 2

A couple of points:

It wasn't stock. Had the vette engine, four bolt main,, 2.02 heads, high rise with a double pumper, headers and thrush mufflers with the clips that you could pop off and run straight headers.

Thanks for explaining because I was impressed and perplexed at the same time reading your post.

1 and 2. It's all true...sadly all true. Us Mopar guys like the arrived first bit. It was a fastback Valiant but the Vailiant wasn't good looking yet. The 2.5 million in sales for Mustang prove it started a new genre of car. The first Barracuda ran well enough for the times.

3. Don't tell anybody lest I lose my Mopar cred, I like GM F bodies shhhhhh a lot. It pains me that in Enid some homeless guy is living in a 20th anniversary package Trans Am. Share your '01 Trans Am with us.

6. Truth.

Ever notice how the back window area on an early 70's Firebird looks suspiciously like a late 60's Cuda? Hmmmmmmm.. ;)

http://carswithmuscles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/1969-plymouth-barracuda-440-side.jpg

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay1019483.jpg

Funny how Ford tries to make a turbocharger sound like something new and economically friendly.

A couple of points:

Proving, once again, that humans in general, and Americans specifically, care more about looks than just about anything else. How else could you explain a Ford Falcon under the sheet metal selling as many cars as the early Mustang bodies did?

A couple of points:

6. Truth.

Ever notice how the back window area on an early 70's Firebird looks suspiciously like a late 60's Cuda? Hmmmmmmm.. ;)

http://carswithmuscles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/1969-plymouth-barracuda-440-side.jpg

Nice, by 1967 the Barracuda became an attractive option for the pony car buyer.

• Like 1