The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Texas King

The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

• The Allman Brothers Band
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd

Honestly, I'm surprised that the Allmans aren't running away with this one.

Why? Skynyrd is a great band.

Well...you can read my initial post in this thread to find out why I feel that way.

I really like a lot of Skynyrd songs. But they are not a patch on the Allman Brothers Band in terms of musicianship.

In my opinion, a line of THE seminal blues guitarists of the 20th century can be drawn from Robert Johnson to Elmore James to Duane Allman. He is in the same league with them.

And Gregg's vocals, and his Hammond B-3- there is also nobody else like him. He is one of the best, if not the best, white blues/soul shouter in the history of the world.

Skynyrd was a really good band, and wrote some really good songs. But the Allman Brothers, they were not.

I totally get appreciating the musicianship of the Allman Brothers Band over Skynyrd. The Allmans were bluesier and jazzier. The ultimate jam band. I personally perfer Skynyrd's songcraft. Catchier riffs and stronger melodies.

The more...generic...and...derivative...of the two...gets the...ReRushed vote...

Hehehehe

Well...you can read my initial post in this thread to find out why I feel that way.

I really like a lot of Skynyrd songs. But they are not a patch on the Allman Brothers Band in terms of musicianship.

In my opinion, a line of THE seminal blues guitarists of the 20th century can be drawn from Robert Johnson to Elmore James to Duane Allman. He is in the same league with them.

And Gregg's vocals, and his Hammond B-3- there is also nobody else like him. He is one of the best, if not the best, white blues/soul shouter in the history of the world.

Skynyrd was a really good band, and wrote some really good songs. But the Allman Brothers, they were not.

I totally get appreciating the musicianship of the Allman Brothers Band over Skynyrd. The Allmans were bluesier and jazzier. The ultimate jam band. I personally perfer Skynyrd's songcraft. Catchier riffs and stronger melodies.

I agree. I also say ronnie was the superior lead singer.

Billy powell is kinda skynyrds unsung hero.

That said its splitting hsirs between the two. Skynyrd effectively died with the crash. The bros started to blow shortly thereafter too imo.

The more...generic...and...derivative...of the two...gets the...ReRushed vote...

Hehehehe

At least he likes good music.

Sorry couldn't help myself. Much love Segs!!!

Happy New Year!!!

• Like 1

I just want to announce that Lucas is a secret 80's southern rock reenactment enthusiast! He has the oily denim jacket, the fake beer gut, the dirty fake beard, ratty beer-drenched wig, the skull rings and the badly sweated up cowboy boots. He dressed in this outfit on alternate Saturday nights and goes out with his other southern rocker reenactment pals and goes apeshit for 5 hours!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hehehehe

I don't know if being less bluesy and less jazzier means being more generic and more derivative, but I can live with it.

And I seem to be a bug up a few asses. I can live with it.

I just want to announce that Lucas is a secret 80's southern rock reenactment enthusiast! He has the oily denim jacket, the fake beer gut, the dirty fake beard, ratty beer-drenched wig, the skull rings and the badly sweated up cowboy boots. He dressed in this outfit on alternate Saturday nights and goes out with his other southern rocker reenactment pals and goes apeshit for 5 hours!

.. you got me TD

Did you see the '79 F150 parked behind the shop ?

Hehehehe

At least he likes good music.

Sorry couldn't help myself. Much love Segs!!!

Happy New Year!!!

CHEEKY!

And I disagree...his taste bores me...not enough quirk haha

Hehehehe

I don't know if being less bluesy and less jazzier means being more generic and more derivative, but I can live with it.

And I seem to be a bug up a few asses. I can live with it.

Please know I'm honestly only teasing.

I'd miss you if you didn't post. I love strong opinions, and those who don't care what others think of them.

Makes it fun!

(As for my previous post...read that as you wish...I didn't argue in my defence haha!)

• Like 1

This post reminds me of a time that I went to see the Allman Brothers, sometime in the first half of the 1990s- and illustrates that both they and Skynyrd have their allotment of horribly redneck fans...

I was walking through the parking lot immediately after the show, lots of people milling around, just the buzz of the post-gig scene...and I pass these two guys- the one who spoke to me looked like the quintessential redneck lumberjack- big beer gut, long-sleeves red and black flannel shirt, and John Deere baseball cap.

He stops when he sees me and says, "Dayum! You're thin! How tall're you??" And so I told him, and he said, "And how much you weigh?" So I told him that, too, and he says "DAYUM! You got AIDS or somethin'?"

Very classy. :sarcastic:

Okay, just an aside...carry on.

• Like 3

.. you got me TD

Did you see the '79 F150 parked behind the shop ?

That's what clinched it!

Love both bands immensely, but you all do know that without the ABB we may not have had Skynyrd, the Crowes, .38 Special, Molly Hatchet, etc., etc., etc.........

Actually lynyrd skynyrd changed their name around 1969 and core members played for years prior to 1969 so they likely pre date the bros.

Edit. Then again considering they were brothers and their last name..

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

Honestly, I'd probably take .38 Special over the Allmans.

Me too! lol

.38 special is very underrated. Don Barnes was a hell of a front man.

Totally agree. Glad to see some love here for them. I actually would have picked them over either of the groups in this poll. Thats how much I like their hits. Not a big fan of their deep cuts but their greatest hits, the material you will usually hear live, is great (IMO).

I have seen 38 Special 3 times, the Allman Brothers once and Skynyrd twice. The first time I saw 38 Speical was in 92 or 93 in Rochester NY under a festival tent and they headlined a show with Bad Co. opening. To this day its probably one of the 5 best shows I have ever seen. Certainly a top 10 show. Both groups were great. The second time I saw they was in the mid 90's when they headlined a Southern Rock festival at SPAC. The other groups playing that night were The Outlaws, The Fab Thunderbirds & The Marshall Tucker Band. Another very strong show. The last time I saw them they opened for Styx & REO Speedwagon and IMO they were the best of the 3 groups that night. REO was 2nd best (IMO). That was around 2010.

The Allman Brothers headlined a festival which included a number of small, unknown & self described "alternative" rock groups. The opening groups did nothing for me, not did the Allman's & I eventually walked out on the show. This was at SPAC in the early 2000's.

As for Skynyrd, the first time I saw them was at SPAC in the mid to late 90's with Ted Nugent opening. A very strong show by both groups. The second time was, I guess, in the early 2000's and was again at SAPC. This time they had Deep Purple with them and I thought Deep Purple was the better act.

Since 38 Special is not in the poll, since I have enjoyed Skynyrd's live shows more and I prefer their big hits more I will vote for them.

• Like 2

Me too! lol

Totally agree. Glad to see some love here for them. I actually would have picked them over either of the groups in this poll. Thats how much I like their hits. Not a big fan of their deep cuts but their greatest hits, the material you will usually hear live, is great (IMO).

I have seen 38 Special 3 times, the Allman Brothers once and Skynyrd twice. The first time I saw 38 Speical was in 92 or 93 in Rochester NY under a festival tent and they headlined a show with Bad Co. opening. To this day its probably one of the 5 best shows I have ever seen. Certainly a top 10 show. Both groups were great. The second time I saw they was in the mid 90's when they headlined a Southern Rock festival at SPAC. The other groups playing that night were The Outlaws, The Fab Thunderbirds & The Marshall Tucker Band. Another very strong show. The last time I saw them they opened for Styx & REO Speedwagon and IMO they were the best of the 3 groups that night. REO was 2nd best (IMO). That was around 2010.

The Allman Brothers headlined a festival which included a number of small, unknown & self described "alternative" rock groups. The opening groups did nothing for me, not did the Allman's & I eventually walked out on the show. This was at SPAC in the early 2000's.

As for Skynyrd, the first time I saw them was at SPAC in the mid to late 90's with Ted Nugent opening. A very strong show by both groups. The second time was, I guess, in the early 2000's and was again at SAPC. This time they had Deep Purple with them and I thought Deep Purple was the better act.

Since 38 Special is not in the poll, since I have enjoyed Skynyrd's live shows more and I prefer their big hits more I will vote for them.

PLEASE do not judge Lynyrd Skynyrd based on the glorified bar band that retains their name nowadays. I saw the real Skynyrd (before the plane crash) in October of '76 and they remain one of the best live bands I've ever seen and I've likely attended over 200 shows in my life. Ronnie's brothers can't carry his mic.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 3

Me too! lol

PLEASE do not judge Lynyrd Skynyrd based on the glorified bar band that retains their name nowadays. I saw the real Skynyrd (before the plane crash) in October of '76 and they remain one of the best live bands I've ever seen and I've likely attended over 200 shows in my life. Ronnie's brothers can't carry his mic.

Many thanks for the feedback!! Love comparing notes on shows - thats why I sometime toss in what some might feel is to much info on some of my responses. They are not just "war stories". Well, they are. But it's also designed to get stuff just like this - others responses and "war stories" about shows they saw to help expand my horizons.

I will try to keep your point in mind. Since I am not a huge Skynyrd fan I would wonder if any of those shows they did were filmed and are sitting around in some vaults someplace. The Who have released several in recent years from the Keith Moon era and Rush has released a fair number (inc. from the Rabbit Hole) which go back a number of years and were of good quality. That would be cool if they ever released some from the era you refer to. Pardon my ignorance if some are all ready out their and I am not aware of it.

Dang, I am envious of you to have seen them in their prime. I have seen a fair # of shows, perhaps 75 - 100, but you have a lot of concert insight / experience I don't have. Many thanks for sharing it!!!!

Me too! lol

Many thanks for the feedback!! Love comparing notes on shows - thats why I sometime toss in what some might feel is to much info on some of my responses. They are not just "war stories". Well, they are. But it's also designed to get stuff just like this - others responses and "war stories" about shows they saw to help expand my horizons.

I will try to keep your point in mind. Since I am not a huge Skynyrd fan I would wonder if any of those shows they did were filmed and are sitting around in some vaults someplace. The Who have released several in recent years from the Keith Moon era and Rush has released a fair number (inc. from the Rabbit Hole) which go back a number of years and were of good quality. That would be cool if they ever released some from the era you refer to. Pardon my ignorance if some are all ready out their and I am not aware of it.

Dang, I am envious of you to have seen them in their prime. I have seen a fair # of shows, perhaps 75 - 100, but you have a lot of concert insight / experience I don't have. Many thanks for sharing it!!!!

Skynyrd in their prime are on fire energy eise

Tons of stuff on youtube. Like the old grey whistle test. An early show.

Even better

Me too! lol

Skynyrd in their prime are on fire energy eise

Tons of stuff on youtube. Like the old grey whistle test. An early show.

Even better

I have this show on DVD as a bootleg. Downloaded it years ago. Very good stuff indeed.

For something to watch of the original band that's been officially released, "Free Bird: The Movie" is what you're looking for. It's been bundled with another video called "Tribute Tour" which is not the original band. Free Bird The Movie was recorded in England. HIGHLY recommended. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.c... bird the movie

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1