The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Texas King

The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

• The Allman Brothers Band
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd

Honestly, I'm surprised that the Allmans aren't running away with this one.

Why? Skynyrd is a great band.

Well...you can read my initial post in this thread to find out why I feel that way.

I really like a lot of Skynyrd songs. But they are not a patch on the Allman Brothers Band in terms of musicianship.

In my opinion, a line of THE seminal blues guitarists of the 20th century can be drawn from Robert Johnson to Elmore James to Duane Allman. He is in the same league with them.

And Gregg's vocals, and his Hammond B-3- there is also nobody else like him. He is one of the best, if not the best, white blues/soul shouter in the history of the world.

Skynyrd was a really good band, and wrote some really good songs. But the Allman Brothers, they were not.

• Like 4

Gotta go with Lynryd Skynryd.

I can't help myself since I was born in Jacksonville. :P

Edited by catherine
  • Like 2

Well...you can read my initial post in this thread to find out why I feel that way.

I really like a lot of Skynyrd songs. But they are not a patch on the Allman Brothers Band in terms of musicianship.

In my opinion, a line of THE seminal blues guitarists of the 20th century can be drawn from Robert Johnson to Elmore James to Duane Allman. He is in the same league with them.

And Gregg's vocals, and his Hammond B-3- there is also nobody else like him. He is one of the best, if not the best, white blues/soul shouter in the history of the world.

Skynyrd was a really good band, and wrote some really good songs. But the Allman Brothers, they were not.

You're right. They were better, imo.

• Like 1

Allman Brothers, easy.

http://youtu.be/NBo_POKv21w

I was hoping you'd be in this thread, custom.

I was never a southern rock fan but I did own a few of the earlier ABB and LS albums. I did re-buy the ABB albums when CD's came out but not LS.

That Van Zant whistle 'really' annoys me.

http://youtu.be/J3iOpX-cQ88

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

I totally get appreciating the musicianship of the Allman Brothers Band over Skynyrd. The Allmans were bluesier and jazzier. The ultimate jam band. I personally perfer Skynyrd's songcraft. Catchier riffs and stronger melodies.

• Like 3

I totally get appreciating the musicianship of the Allman Brothers Band over Skynyrd. The Allmans were bluesier and jazzier. The ultimate jam band. I personally perfer Skynyrd's songcraft. Catchier riffs and stronger melodies.

Yeah, pretty much. In terms of fantastic jams, Skynyrd doesn't have anything that touches Jessica, but song-wise, Skynyrd has a more listenable catalogue.
  • Like 1

Yeah, pretty much. In terms of fantastic jams, Skynyrd doesn't have anything that touches Jessica, but song-wise, Skynyrd has a more listenable catalogue.

A Decade of Hits disagrees: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Decade_of_Hits_1969%E2%80%931979

That greatest hits is better than the entirety of Skynyrd's catalog, in terms of melody, songwriting, riffs, singing, playing...really, in every possible way.

A Decade of Hits disagrees: https://en.wikipedia..._Hits_1969–1979

That greatest hits is better than the entirety of Skynyrd's catalog, in terms of melody, songwriting, riffs, singing, playing...really, in every possible way.

Dear Lord, I really need to listen to that album. I haven't heard any of those songs.

The Black Crowes

I'll like your post, even though I can't stomach the Crowes being considered a 'southern rock' band.

But I suppose... :huh:

"You say hippie, I say tomato."

-Chris Robinson, 1992

OK, so I know your white ass loves the Crowes, so how would you classify them?

To me, the are all of the best things about "Southern Rock." They are rock, blues, gospel, blues rock, you name it.

Indeed I do...definitely more than Skynyrd (not even the same league, honestly), and pound for pound, more than the Allmans.

I would classify them as hard-edged blues-rock. They are rock, blues, soul, gospel, folk, and even straight up country, at various different times.

Honestly, I can only call their music 'Black Crowes music'. It's unique (but also very familiar at the same time).

I may not like the term 'southern rock' just because of its connotation with rednecks and so forth.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/GIFs/thats_racist.gif

I'm from Southern Maryland, and live in Virginia, so I've been a southerner my whole life. But even we laughed at those deep south folks.

I agree with you that they are definitely hard edged blues rock, but then all the other styles you list make me think Southern Rock.

How about we call them Progressive Southern Rock, or Southern Art Rock?

• Like 1

The Black Crowes

I'll like your post, even though I can't stomach the Crowes being considered a 'southern rock' band.

But I suppose... :huh:

"You say hippie, I say tomato."

-Chris Robinson, 1992

OK, so I know your white ass loves the Crowes, so how would you classify them?

To me, the are all of the best things about "Southern Rock." They are rock, blues, gospel, blues rock, you name it.

Indeed I do...definitely more than Skynyrd (not even the same league, honestly), and pound for pound, more than the Allmans.

I would classify them as hard-edged blues-rock. They are rock, blues, soul, gospel, folk, and even straight up country, at various different times.

Honestly, I can only call their music 'Black Crowes music'. It's unique (but also very familiar at the same time).

I may not like the term 'southern rock' just because of its connotation with rednecks and so forth.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/GIFs/thats_racist.gif

I'm from Southern Maryland, and live in Virginia, so I've been a southerner my whole life. But even we laughed at those deep south folks.

I agree with you that they are definitely hard edged blues rock, but then all the other styles you list make me think Southern Rock.

How about we call them Progressive Southern Rock, or Southern Art Rock?

This just shows you how relative things can be. Way down here in Florida Maryland and Virginia sound like way up north....

Gotta go with Lynryd Skynryd.

I can't help myself since I was born in Jacksonville. :P

I grew up there! The Allmans were formed there too you know

Oh that's right. Doh! Still LS for me though.