The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Texas King

The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

• The Allman Brothers Band
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd

The Allman Brothers, and it's not even close!

And don't get me wrong, I like a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd. They were a really good band.

But the Allmans are legendary. Musicianship- exponentially better. Live performances- otherworldly. Just unbelievable stuff.

(I can forget about Reach For the Sky and Brothers of the Road ;)...all the rest of their catalog ranges from really good to stone-cold classic).

• Like 2

The Allman Brothers, and it's not even close!

And don't get me wrong, I like a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd. They were a really good band.

But the Allmans are legendary. Musicianship- exponentially better. Live performances- otherworldly. Just unbelievable stuff.

(I can forget about Reach For the Sky and Brothers of the Road ;)...all the rest of their catalog ranges from really good to stone-cold classic).

Well said.

• Like 2

The Black Crowes

The Crowes would beat Skynyrd, but I'd still take ABB over them. I just listened to Croweology about a month ago...that album is brilliant.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

Skynyrd is probably the right answer, but I prefer the Allman Brothers.

Ramblin' Man was the anthem for my recent Father-Son five-week road trip.

In what way should Skynyrd win? I think that the ABB have had better musicians, better singing, better songs, better albums, and have done it for much longer. 25 years after their first album, ABB came out with an album which is almost as good as Skynyrd's best work in the 4 years where they actually made good music.

• Like 1

The Black Crowes

I'll like your post, even though I can't stomach the Crowes being considered a 'southern rock' band.

But I suppose... :huh:

"You say hippie, I say tomato."

-Chris Robinson, 1992

• Like 1

The Black Crowes

I just listened to Croweology about a month ago...that album is brilliant.

:o

I know what you were doin'...

:P

I wasn't, but it does put me in a relaxed mood.

The Black Crowes

I just listened to Croweology about a month ago...that album is brilliant.

:o

I know what you were doin'...

:P

I wasn't, but it does put me in a relaxed mood.

Ahh, okay. I just remember you saying that that music was regular accompaniment to a particular pastime.

The Black Crowes

I'll like your post, even though I can't stomach the Crowes being considered a 'southern rock' band.

-Chris Robinson, 1992

OK, so I know your white ass loves the Crowes, so how would you classify them?

To me, the are all of the best things about "Southern Rock." They are rock, blues, gospel, blues rock, you name it.

Skynyrd. Best lyrics in all of southern rock and some of the best lyrics in rock in general. Better energy. Better party music.

I do like early abb. I saw them once at red rocks and was terribly disappointed though.

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

BTW - I don't mean to totally derail the thread. I think both Skynyrd and ABB are both brilliant. In my most humble opinion, Skynyrd was more Rock, and ABB was the definition of Southern Rock.

Imteresting. To me skynyrd is southern rock straight up where the allmans while southern rock were more of a jam band.

After ls and abb my fave southern rock is early charlie daniels in particular nightrider and fore on the mtn.

• Like 2

The Black Crowes

-Chris Robinson, 1992

OK, so I know your white ass loves the Crowes, so how would you classify them?

To me, the are all of the best things about "Southern Rock." They are rock, blues, gospel, blues rock, you name it.

Indeed I do...definitely more than Skynyrd (not even the same league, honestly), and pound for pound, more than the Allmans.

I would classify them as hard-edged blues-rock. They are rock, blues, soul, gospel, folk, and even straight up country, at various different times.

Honestly, I can only call their music 'Black Crowes music'. It's unique (but also very familiar at the same time).

I may not like the term 'southern rock' just because of its connotation with rednecks and so forth.

• Like 1