Favorite Sea Animal to Eat

JohnnyBlaze

Seafood Fight  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is your favorite kind of seafood?

• Fish
    • Crab
    • Lobster
    • Shrimp/Prawn
    • Octopus
    • Squid
    • Oysters
    • Clams
    • Mussels
    • Scallops
    • Some other sea animal
    • I don't eat that crap! I wanna gnaw on a land mammal or some kind of bird!
    • No thanks. I'm a vegetarian/vegan.
  2. 2. What's your favorite way to eat that favorite sea animal?

One VILE sea animal to eat is sea urchin. It's like munching on a dirty kitchen sponge.

Sounds about as appealing as jellyfish. Jellyfish is nasty. Tried it once. Won't do that again.

My favorite of all the sea foods...tuna or salmon sushi.

I love seafood. scallops are to die for. Shrimp is delicious. Crab is amazing. Octopus and squid in Italian food is damn good. and Lobster? :banana: It's all good.

And fish? I love walleye, salmon, grouper, perch, sea bass, and of course seared Ahi Tuna, which is my favorite.

Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 2

Wow. I'm the only lobster person? I picked that when forced to pick one, because I do love it! But I also love fish, especially swordfish and marlin, especially grilled, and salmon all kinds of ways! Also scallops, crab legs, and wild gulf shrimp; it's all delicious! :drool:
  • Like 3

Wow. I'm the only lobster person? I picked that when forced to pick one, because I do love it! But I also love fish, especially swordfish and marlin, especially grilled, and salmon all kinds of ways! Also scallops, crab legs, and wild gulf shrimp; it's all delicious! :drool:

I would've picked lobster but Alaskan King crab legs gave crab the slight edge.

Everything you mentioned there is great to me too. It's just a little past 10:30am, I haven't eaten today, and I can imagine eating some tasty swordfish NOW.

• Like 1

One VILE sea animal to eat is sea urchin. It's like munching on a dirty kitchen sponge.

Sounds about as appealing as jellyfish. Jellyfish is nasty. Tried it once. Won't do that again.

I had a bite of jellyfish ((as much as you can "bite" it that is)) and didn't like it. I didn't want to vomit or anything but no I won't be trying it again.

Sea urchin is usually available in supermarkets and restaurants out here so I've tried it a couple of times. I gave it a second shot because that second time was at one of my favorite seafood restaurants. And it was still as vile as Lucifer's sphincter. Of all the great seafood out here I can't imagine choosing sea urchin on a bed of steamed rice. It's like a waste of a meal !!!! :LOL:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I had a bite of jellyfish ((as much as you can "bite" it that is)) and didn't like it. I didn't want to vomit or anything but no I won't be trying it again.

Sea urchin is usually available in supermarkets and restaurants out here so I've tried it a couple of times. I gave it a second shot because that second time was at one of my favorite seafood restaurants. And it was still as vile as Lucifer's sphincter. Of all the great seafood out here I can't imagine choosing sea urchin on a bed of steamed rice. It's like a waste of a meal !!!! :LOL:

Ha ha good to know in case I am ever offered some!
  • Like 1

:LOL:

This may sound weird but I still think people should try it. Really, the only time I won't try something new is if it smells bad. And many dishes I give several tries before saying "never again".

This reminds me...

I despise eggs. Loathe! But I've eaten them at least a few dozen times. My hatred of eggs is such a thing in my family that my brothers used to offer me money to take a bite. Hey, a buck's a buck. ;)

One bro & I also made an egg song ((called "Etlog Blues"...'Etlog' is Tagalog for 'egg')) on acoustic guitars about twenty years ago. Lyrics and awful singing to match. :LOL: The tune ended with me eating a mouthful of scrambled eggs. I nearly vomited. So in desperation I took a huge swig of beer to wash it down. That video exists somewhere. :LOL:

• Like 3

This may sound weird but I still think people should try it. Really, the only time I won't try something new is if it smells bad. And many dishes I give several tries before saying "never again".

This reminds me...

I despise eggs. Loathe! But I've eaten them at least a few dozen times. My hatred of eggs is such a thing in my family that my brothers used to offer me money to take a bite. Hey, a buck's a buck. ;)

One bro & I also made an egg song ((called "Etlog Blues"...'Etlog' is Tagalog for 'egg')) on acoustic guitars about twenty years ago. Lyrics and awful singing to match. :LOL: The tune ended with me eating a mouthful of scrambled eggs. I nearly vomited. So in desperation I took a huge swig of beer to wash it down. That video exists somewhere. :LOL:

Gotta love brothers !! :D

• Like 1

This reminds me...

Did you ever try balut?
  • Like 1

This reminds me...

Did you ever try balut?

f**k no! :LOL:

As I said, smell is important. Probably THE most important thing to me. I've eaten things that literally look like pieces of crap but since they didn't stink, I was more than willing to bite down. The smell of balut can permeate throughout an entire household. It's the one thing I'll never try. It doesn't help that it IS an egg too...albeit with a half developed unborn chicken often with feathers and beak inside.

I've tried to eat scorpion at a couple of restaurants in Beijing but they were sold out at both spots. It's popular there.

I wanted to go to some snake restaurant in Taipei but my friends pussied out and we ate at another place instead. Those snake restaurants had a peculiar smell to them I have to admit, but it wasn't enough to put me off though.

There was a beetles stand in Bangkok that I was thinking about trying but the stand itself looked dirty...I mean REAL dirty. Dirty enough that I could smell how old it was, as if mildew were in the trays. So yeah, I skipped the beetles.

• Like 3

This reminds me...

Did you ever try balut?

f**k no! :LOL:

As I said, smell is important. Probably THE most important thing to me. I've eaten things that literally look like pieces of crap but since they didn't stink, I was more than willing to bite down. The smell of balut can permeate throughout an entire household. It's the one thing I'll never try. It doesn't help that it IS an egg too...albeit with a half developed unborn chicken often with feathers and beak inside.

I've tried to eat scorpion at a couple of restaurants in Beijing but they were sold out at both spots. It's popular there.

I wanted to go to some snake restaurant in Taipei but my friends pussied out and we ate at another place instead. Those snake restaurants had a peculiar smell to them I have to admit, but it wasn't enough to put me off though.

There was a beetles stand in Bangkok that I was thinking about trying but the stand itself looked dirty...I mean REAL dirty. Dirty enough that I could smell how old it was, as if mildew were in the trays. So yeah, I skipped the beetles.

I think one of the nastiest things that I HAVE tried is shirako ((literally translated as "white child")). I've mentioned it on TRF many times before and have shown some pics...revulsion from several TRFers followed :LOL: . I knew what it was before I tried it but since it didn't smell, I thought I'd give it a go. Texturally, it's the most repulsive thing I've sampled.

In the Philippines, my cousin said that the dish I was eating was goat testicles. That could've easily been a joke or totally for real. I can't tell with him since he's got a deadpan delivery for everything :LOL: . The smell and taste were slightly gamey but whatever it was, it wasn't too dissimilar from a standard meatball you'd get from a North American supermarket. So yeah, either my cousin was BSing and I was eating a standard beef meatball OR I was eating goat nuts.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I think one of the nastiest things that I HAVE tried is shirako ((literally translated as "white child")). I've mentioned it on TRF many times before and have shown some pics...revulsion from several TRFers followed :LOL: . I knew what it was before I tried it but since it didn't smell, I thought I'd give it a go. Texturally, it's the most repulsive thing I've sampled.

In the Philippines, my cousin said that the dish I was eating was goat testicles. That could've easily been a joke or totally for real. I can't tell with him since he's got a deadpan delivery for everything :LOL: . The smell and taste were slightly gamey but whatever it was, it wasn't too dissimilar from a standard meatball you'd get from a North American supermarket. So yeah, either my cousin was BSing and I was eating a standard beef meatball OR I was eating goat nuts.

They could have been goat testicles! When we lived in Colorado, goat nuts and especially bull/calf nuts or Rocky Mountain Oysters as they were called, were a big thing. They were served like fried clam strips with seafood cocktail sauce. One bar near us was famous for them; but different organizations would also have their own "oyster fry" picnics on the weekend as fund raisers. They didn't taste bad but I'm not big on deep fried food unless it's Oreos or Twinkies, lol.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/images_19.jpeg

• Like 2

These pics aren't for the squeamish. You've been warned.

Here's the balut that goose asked me about earlier:

It smells much worse than it looks. Yeah.

Here's the shirako that I was talking about too:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

They could have been goat testicles! When we lived in Colorado, goat nuts and especially bull/calf nuts or Rocky Mountain Oysters as they were called, were a big thing. They were served like fried clam strips with seafood cocktail sauce. One bar near us was famous for them; but different organizations would also have their own "oyster fry" picnics on the weekend as fund raisers. They didn't taste bad but I'm not big on deep fried food unless it's Oreos or Twinkies, lol.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/images_19.jpeg

There is a bar not far from me that has an annual "Turkey Testicle Festival". I've heard it's quite popular. :scared:
  • Like 1

Sea Bass is heaven on earth!! :D

You should make a fish poll. Anyone else doing it would be wrong.

Then I would be stepping on your toes. :P

That's troutman code for "too lazy to do it" :P

Well,

After last night. You are correct. :LOL: