Norwegian Black Death Metal

My band plays host a weekly jam nite in my home town at the only bar that really has any live rock music. Of course we get some really good players and then you get those that get an "A" for effort.

Anways there were a bunch of guys one night playing Norwegian Black Death Metal. Then of course the extreme metal heads were talking about all the important bands of this genre. I would like to think I'm a true lover of music, but hell I just didn't get it. I like really heavy music. I love bands like, Sepultura, Corrosion of Conformity, Fear Factory, Slayer, Sevendust, ect... This stuff was way beyond that. I really don't remember the names of any of these insane bands that were mentioned. I was wondering if anyone knows names of bands in this genre, so I might be able to check them out and give the genre a fair assement. Maybe it was just becuase it was a bunch of guys jamming it in a bar, but I can't imagine that it was far off from the truth. So let me know.

trink39.gif

Of course I have already done a google, but the bands I have found all have poor recording available for people to listen to. So I'm thinking they aren't signed bands. I would like to hear the professional crazies at there best.

I know there was a band called Emperor, and a very pleasant chap by the name of Burzum (aka Grishnak) who did time for burning Christian churches and, more seriously, stabbing and killing Euronymous, the leader of a rival Black Metal band called Mayhem.

Of the more recent crop of Norwegian bands that I've heard, Dimmu Borgir are the best, but it's not really my cup of tea to be honest.

A lot of these bands are dismissed as satanists, but more so than satanism, they seem to be harking back to a pre- Christian Scandanavian paganism that seems to resemble nazism more than any other contemporary ideology.

I just had a look at wikipedia, and here's what it has to say

laugh.gif

Yep. F*cked up, aren't they?

I'm no fan of Mayhem or Emperor, but I do like some of Satyricon and Darkthrone. I'm not really into their ideology though... and "pagan" bands aren't really the worst, there's a "nazi black metal" scene, too. The Metal scene really is home to the greatest f*ckwits.

Related links: (good for a laugh)

Top 10 Most Ridiculous Black Metal Pics of All Time

(The Other) Top 10 Most Ridiculous Black Metal Pics of All Time

QUOTE (Oberon @ Sep 17 2005, 01:04 PM)
laugh.gif

I'm no fan of Mayhem or Emperor, but I do like some of Satyricon and Darkthrone. I'm not really into their ideology though... and "pagan" bands aren't really the worst, there's a "nazi black metal" scene, too. The Metal scene really is home to the greatest f*ckwits.

laugh.gif Those pics are hiliarious!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 17 2005, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE (Oberon @ Sep 17 2005, 01:04 PM)
laugh.gif

laugh.gif Those pics are hiliarious!

The joys of photoshop and Immortal...

http://metalamber.tripod.com/metal/imlaughter.html

As for black metal itself, there's a few bands that I can listen to. Dimmu Borgir, but mostly their older stuff with the exception of Progenies of the Great Appocalypse. Finntrol isn't too bad either.

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Sep 17 2005, 05:49 AM)
Anways there were a bunch of guys one night playing Norwegian Black Death Metal.

I really don't remember the names of any of these insane bands that were mentioned. I was wondering if anyone knows names of bands in this genre, so I might be able to check them out and give the genre a fair assement.

Every Norweigan Black Metal band's name is a city or geological feature of Mordor . . .

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 17 2005, 11:20 AM)
I know there was a band called Emperor, and a very pleasant chap by the name of Burzum (aka Grishnak) who did time for burning Christian churches and, more seriously, stabbing and killing Euronymous, the leader of a rival Black Metal band called Mayhem.

Actually, his name is Varg Vikernese (sp?) (AKA Count Grishnak). Burzum is the title of his solo project. And he wasn't in a band that rivaled Mayhem. He was IN Mayhem.

He did stab Eury to death though. He's still in jail, and has dismissed himself completely from the Black Metal scene. I think he makes ambience now...

Anyways, It's "Black Metal". Death Metal is a completely different genre. And yeah, BM spawned from Norway. And it kicks your ass.

Emperor

Immortal

Satyricon

Darkthrone

Burzum

Borknagar

Vintersorg

Check those out. And a lot of Black bands are signed, but have bad production and sound anyway. But I still love it.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Sep 18 2005, 09:22 PM)
And yeah, BM spawned from Norway.

It didn't quite, IMO. The second wave of it (most of the bands that you mentioned), yes. But the original "Black Metal" begun with Venom (England), Hellhammer and Celtic Frost (Switzerland), Mercyful Fate (Denmark), Bathory (Sweden), Mayhem (Norway) and others, all appearing (and for the most part, subsequently kicking ass) around 1980-84.

I strongly recommend ENSLAVED and FINNTROLL.

Enslaved is a black metal band from Norway, but instead of using traditional BM riff structures they play in a way very similar to VOIVOD, while remaining undoubtedly BM.

Finntroll is more of a joke band, playing polka black metal (you read that right) and claiming they are trolls. They are from Finland but sing in Swedish.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Sep 18 2005, 06:33 PM)
I'm not usually blunt. But right now I'm going to be blunt.

Whoever wrote that article is a close-minded dumbass.

Well of course. That's a hallmark of rock'n'roll is of the devil websites.

Archived