• Ridley Scott
    • John Singleton
    • Steven Soderbergh
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Oliver Stone
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Robert Zemeckis

Self-explanatory.

After a period of time (aka when I get bored), I'll take the winners of each group and make a second thread to determine TRF's most favorite director.

I'm sure I left some directors out but that was due to the number of options being limited + I couldn't keep all of them in mind. Additionally, I just refuse to put people like Michael Bay and M.Night Shyamalan on there. ;)

I also tried to put in a 4th question but apparently 3's the max. The 3rd question would've been:

Which of the 3 groups (A-F, G-M[e], M-Z) is your favorite?

:blaze:

Great topic

Dario Argento vs Woody Allen would have been impossible for me to decide ... Hitch vs Kubrick was hard, but Hitch has such a huge body of work ..

Repulsion, Knife In The Water, Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant - great films, and Polanski comes back with The Pianist ..

• Like 2

- Dario Argento

- Woody Allen

- Kiyoshi Kurosawa

- Hitch

I love Kubrick, but I wish he'd been more prolific .. Bergman is great too ..

John Carpenter, George Romero and Tobe Hooper have all directed some of my favorite horror films, but all three lost it big time along the way

Brian DePalma rarely gets credit, but he had a string of great films

Edited by Lucas

Carpenter, Hitchcock and Scorsese.

Hey TD, you think Carpenter lost it over time ??

Yeah, Halloween, The Fog, Escape From New York, Christine, Starman, Big Trouble, Assault on Precinct 13 are all classics. After that none of his films were great again, some of them are ok, they all have something interesting but don't quite work overall or they're above average or downright mediocre overall. A couple of other things he did in the 70's are good too.

• Like 1

Fincher

Howard

Scorsese

Carpenter is amazing, but just like Hitchcock older movies are a hard watch for me personally.

Not on that list: Alex Payne and PT Anderson.

Coens are my favorite.

Also missing, Wes Anderson.

Not familiar with Alex Payne at all.

I simply forgot about PT Anderson but he's got some great movies particularly Magnolia and There Will Be Blood.

As for Wes Anderson, I just left him out because I've only seen 2 of his 8 films (Rushmore & Grand Budapest, both good).

I was also thinking of the biggest names out there along with having made a lot of films. PT Anderson has made maybe 1 or 2 fewer than Wes.

No Werner Herzog? No Terrence Malick? :eh:

Tough for me to chose between the Coen Bros and Woody Allen, but the Coen's were more consistent. That's my pick (would have gone with Herzog)

With no Malick to choose, Hitchcock is a pretty easy pick for me in group two.

For group three I have to go with Oliver Stone for his run of Platoon, Wall Street, Talk Radio, Born on the Fourth of July, JFK, Natural Born Killers, and Nixon (disrupted only slightly by Heaven and Earth). That's an amazing run of quality film-making. Apologies to Polanski, whose Knife in the Water is one of my favorite films.

Fun poll!

• Like 2

No Werner Herzog? No Terrence Malick? :eh:

Tough for me to chose between the Coen Bros and Woody Allen, but the Coen's were more consistent. That's my pick (would have gone with Herzog)

With no Malick to choose, Hitchcock is a pretty easy pick for me in group two.

For group three I have to go with Oliver Stone for his run of Platoon, Wall Street, Talk Radio, Born on the Fourth of July, JFK, Natural Born Killers, and Nixon (disrupted only slightly by Heaven and Earth). That's an amazing run of quality film-making. Apologies to Polanski, whose Knife in the Water is one of my favorite films.

Fun poll!

I've only seen two each from Herzog and Malick. I was bound to leave someone out just from memory. Besides, I've never seen any TRFer mention Herzog.

Malick's made fewer than 10 movies. And, as far as I've seen, Malick's only been mentioned in regards to Thin Red Line.

There's always a spinoff thread possibility for any director I missed if you or anyone else is up to do it. :yes:

• Like 1

I only want to vote for one:

Hayao Miyazaki

You should vote for him in that section then pick two others in the other sections :hail:

I like Miyazaki but not to the degree like you and a few others here. I put him in there specifically with you guys in mind. :cheers:

He's definitely a visionary though. :yes:

• Like 1

I have only gone to see a movie because of who directed it once and that was tarantinos four rooms which is a terrible movie. I guess I'm just a fan of movie directors.

I've gone to see the movie because of the directors in these cases:

- Eyes Wide Shut...interesting and good (not great) but far from Kubrick's best

- Kill Bill 1 & 2...garbage. This was the beginning of the end of Tarantino for me. I saw part 2 because I thought he might redeem himself from the crap of part 1. He didn't redeem himself.

- Prometheus...thought this was guaranteed to be a good one with Scott back in command. Man was I wrong!

There have been more but these are the ones that first came to mind.

(edited to add): Oh, Four Rooms was terrible but he's not totally to blame for that. He definitely was bad for the part he contributed to though.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Carpenter

Kubrick

Miyazaki

The third group was brutal! Miyazaki, Scorcese, and Spielberg. Fuuuuuck. Had to vote for Miyazaki though...I feel like every movie he's made is perfect.

For me, the first group was tough. Could've gone with Woody or Clint but chose the C-bros.

Group 2 was guaranteed to be Kubrick. Hitchcock might be second.

Group 3 was either Scorcese or Spielberg. Went with Spielberg

Group 1: The Coen's

Group 2: David Lynch

Group 3: Roman Polanski

Good lists with some notable past and present absentees

Bergman (Sweden)

Jarmusch (USA)

Fellini (Italy)

Sorrentino (Italy)

Wenders (Germany)

Herzog (Germany)

Tarr (Hungary)