• Martin Scorcese
    • Ridley Scott
    • John Singleton
    • Steven Soderbergh
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Oliver Stone
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Robert Zemeckis

I love Con Air and Pearl Harbor is a dirty secret guilty pleasure haha!

Michael Bay sucks but his films are enjoyably crud at best. (I genuinely love Pearl Harbor...shoot me).

I love Con Air and Pearl Harbor is a dirty secret guilty pleasure haha!

Michael Bay sucks but his films are enjoyably crud at best. (I genuinely love Pearl Harbor...shoot me).

Con Air was directed by Simon West. So you're off the hook when it comes to that movie at least. :LOL:

I have only gone to see a movie because of who directed it once and that was tarantinos four rooms which is a terrible movie. I guess I'm just a fan of movie directors.

I've gone to see the movie because of the directors in these cases:

- Eyes Wide Shut...interesting and good (not great) but far from Kubrick's best

- Kill Bill 1 & 2...garbage. This was the beginning of the end of Tarantino for me. I saw part 2 because I thought he might redeem himself from the crap of part 1. He didn't redeem himself.

- Prometheus...thought this was guaranteed to be a good one with Scott back in command. Man was I wrong!

There have been more but these are the ones that first came to mind.

(edited to add): Oh, Four Rooms was terrible but he's not totally to blame for that. He definitely was bad for the part he contributed to though.

Meant to say I'm a fan of movies not directors. Anyways, the only redeeming thing from four rooms was topless witches.

I have only gone to see a movie because of who directed it once and that was tarantinos four rooms which is a terrible movie. I guess I'm just a fan of movie directors.

- Kill Bill 1 & 2...garbage. This was the beginning of the end of Tarantino for me. I saw part 2 because I thought he might redeem himself from the crap of part 1. He didn't redeem himself.

- Prometheus...thought this was guaranteed to be a good one with Scott back in command. Man was I wrong!

(edited to add): Oh, Four Rooms was terrible but he's not totally to blame for that. He definitely was bad for the part he contributed to though.

Meant to say I'm a fan of movies not directors. Anyways, the only redeeming thing from four rooms was topless witches.

In regards to your first sentence, I thought as much.

Taking it the opposite way, I've avoided movies by Shymalan and Bay so it makes sense that I'd go to movies by directors that I thought were good.

I only want to vote for one:

Hayao Miyazaki

You should vote for him in that section then pick two others in the other sections :hail:

I like Miyazaki but not to the degree like you and a few others here. I put him in there specifically with you guys in mind. :cheers:

He's definitely a visionary though. :yes:

When are you voting JB?

Hayao Miyazaki

You should vote for him in that section then pick two others in the other sections :hail:

I like Miyazaki but not to the degree like you and a few others here. I put him in there specifically with you guys in mind. :cheers:

When are you voting JB?

Haven't I?

Hayao Miyazaki

When are you voting JB?

Haven't I?

No, it's a public poll and you're not in there.

I have two questions for fans of Werner Herzog, or anyone who has seen these movies :

- Grizzly Man - The entire thing is a hoax, right ?? - I was stunned when I first saw it because it was so obviously faked .. A few years before Grizzly Man, Herzog wrote and starred in a mockumentary called Incident At Loch Ness that is very similar in some ways to Grizzly Man - only it is an acknowledged fake ..

- Heart Of Glass - has anyone seen this film ?? .. I love slow moving and/or subtitled films, but Heart Of Glass holds the distinction of the lone film I gave up on midway thru .. It was beyond boring

Hayao Miyazaki

When are you voting JB?

Haven't I?

Not sure why not because it's there and it says "delete my vote" which means I voted. OR you can check the post I quoted Stormtron in which I explained what I voted for. :yes:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Hayao Miyazaki

When are you voting JB?

Haven't I?

Not sure why not because it's there and it says "delete my vote" which means I voted. OR you can check the post I quoted Stormtron in which I explained what I voted for. :yes:

When I checked, it was my votes which put Kubrick and Spielberg in a tie for first in their groups :yes:

Hayao Miyazaki

When are you voting JB?

Haven't I?

Hmmmm weird...

Michael Bay

http://i.imgur.com/5QCs1nZ.jpg

The best thing he ever did was that Meat Loaf video. He should have stuck with that format. I've seen the first 3 Transformers on Rifftrax so I have a right to judge.

If you want good action movie directors, watch Tony Scott and Walter Hill films.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

In regards to your first sentence, I thought as much.

Taking it the opposite way, I've avoided movies by Shymalan and Bay so it makes sense that I'd go to movies by directors that I thought were good.

They're worth watching on Rifftrax. Hell, The Happening is a great movie if you watch it as a comedy because it sucks if it's serious drama.

"Cheese and crackers!" :LOL:

Michael Bay

http://i.imgur.com/5QCs1nZ.jpg

The best thing he ever did was that Meat Loaf video. He should have stuck with that format. I've seen the first 3 Transformers on Rifftrax so I have a right to judge.

If you want good action movie directors, watch Tony Scott and Walter Hill films.

No, completely joking in this case. I've watched half of the first Transformers movie, that's all I've seen of those.

*walks in*

*sees the Coen Bros with 6 votes and Coppola with 0*

*walks out with less hope for humanity*

Yeah, Coppola had Finian's Rainbow, the two Godfathers, American Graffiti, The Conversation, Apocalypse Now. That's a hell of a run. But things went a little heywire after that.

*walks in*

*sees the Coen Bros with 6 votes and Coppola with 0*

*walks out with less hope for humanity*

Yeah, Coppola had Finian's Rainbow, the two Godfathers, American Graffiti, The Conversation, Apocalypse Now. That's a hell of a run. But things went a little heywire after that.

That's all true but I still enjoyed more movies from the Coens, Woody Allen, and Clint. There's enough loving to go around but only one champ per section.

It might be time for the follow up thread to this (with the winners from each section only) since I don't think the number of votes has increased over the last few days

Roger Corman. (Heh!)

I think Antoine Fuqua is criminally underrated.

Is it wrong to like Woody Allen? He has a quirky sense of humor and he's not afraid to say what everyone else is thinking. I'm well aware of the all drama in his personal life. Be that as it may, he has made some really great films. I've watched Blue Jasmine, Midnight in Paris, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona many times. They are well written masterpieces with ensemble casts. His characters get to travel to exciting places I will probably will never go to. Edited by Boots
  • Like 1

Is it wrong to like Woody Allen? He has a quirky sense of humor and he's not afraid to say what everyone else is thinking. I'm well aware of the all drama in his personal life. Be that as it may, he has made some really great films. I've watched Blue Jasmine, Midnight in Paris, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona many times. They are well written masterpieces with ensemble casts. His characters get to travel to exciting places I will probably will never go to.

Of course it NOT wrong - the man is an artist

;)

Seriously, Woody Allen is a comic genius and one of the all time great filmmakers ... His run of movies from the mid 70s thru the early 90s is as good as any filmmaker ever