First Ever Rush Songs Learnt

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 homeward-angel-on-the-fly

homeward-angel-on-the-fly

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:RUSH!! Music, video games, anime. All-around nerd!

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:52 AM

What were your guys' first Rush songs ever learnt on any of your instruments? I play bass and keyboards (unfortunately not anymore because I had to sell my last keyboard D: ), I also sing.

The first song I ever learnt on bass was Between The Wheels, probably the simplest Rush song for bass out there (unless Red Sector A counts :P ), the second full song I learnt was The Twilight Zone (I know eh? What a quick learner lmfao), the third one was Animate, that's when it gets tricky because Geddy for some reason thought it was needed that he needed to suddenly know how to flamenco :lol:

As for another slightly off topic, what Rush songs are you guys currently learning? Right now I'm trying to learn 2112 (god help me LOL), and also Vital Signs lol

Oh, as for singing goes the first Rush song I learnt to sing properly was obviously the hits because... I'm Canadian and you're practically singing Tom Sawyer out of the womb :LMAO:

Sponsored Post

#2 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 34021 posts
  • Interests:The Cure and 80's music

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:55 AM

Tom Sawyer and Limelight on drums, I plan to learn more soon though :)

Edited by GotNeilPeart?, 05 December 2016 - 04:55 AM.

#3 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 9846 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:35 AM

IIRC it was Finding my Way on bass and Fly By Night on guitar.

#4 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:57 AM

For me it was learning bits and pieces of The Trees and Xanadu on guitar.  This is back in the mid 80's and I tried to figure out the parts that interested me by myself with my cassette deck (which was pretty much the only way to do it back then), listening to the songs over and over.  My guitar teacher was into finger picking so I got really interested in acoustic guitar bits.  The Trees acoustic intro was a little advanced for me at the time so I cheated a bit by watching my "Exit..Stage Left" VHS tape countless times to get the chords right.  I ended up being able to play that really well and still use "The Trees" or AFTK intro to warm up from time to time.

Non Rush-related, but I remember trying to figure out "Mood for a Day" by Steve Howe in my early guitar playing days.  I've never had the fingernails to play a lot of classical bits the way they are meant to be played.

#5 Super25Smasher

Super25Smasher

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 10484 posts
  • Interests:Classic Rock, Punk Rock, Alternative Rock/Grunge, Metal, Classic Video Games, Playing Bass Guitar

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

Limelight on bass.

#6 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24292 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostRelayer2112, on 05 December 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

For me it was learning bits and pieces of The Trees and Xanadu on guitar.  This is back in the mid 80's and I tried to figure out the parts that interested me by myself with my cassette deck (which was pretty much the only way to do it back then), listening to the songs over and over.  My guitar teacher was into finger picking so I got really interested in acoustic guitar bits.  The Trees acoustic intro was a little advanced for me at the time so I cheated a bit by watching my "Exit..Stage Left" VHS tape countless times to get the chords right.  I ended up being able to play that really well and still use "The Trees" or AFTK intro to warm up from time to time.

Non Rush-related, but I remember trying to figure out "Mood for a Day" by Steve Howe in my early guitar playing days.  I've never had the fingernails to play a lot of classical bits the way they are meant to be played.

I learned the classic guitar bit from The Ancient and Mood for a Day way back when. And yes, I did have the, "I play classical guitar," fingernails on my right hand.

#7 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

Xanadu was the first rush song I learned on bass. Always an oddity because it's not tuned straight A440 on the record since it was sped up.

#8 homeward-angel-on-the-fly

homeward-angel-on-the-fly

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:RUSH!! Music, video games, anime. All-around nerd!

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:11 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Xanadu was the first rush song I learned on bass. Always an oddity because it's not tuned straight A440 on the record since it was sped up.

The first Rush song you learnt was Xanadu? Gheeze, what a feat haha

#9 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:11 AM

View Posthomeward-angel-on-the-fly, on 06 December 2016 - 01:11 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

The first Rush song you learnt was Xanadu? Gheeze, what a feat haha

I'd been playing for a couple of years at that point but yeah. First Rush song I heard and it's what made me a fan.

#10 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3925 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:58 PM

The Spirit of Radio on the bass.  As for the piano, well…I can butcher Losing It, but Rush does not translate well to piano.  :no:

#11 Weakly Criminal

Weakly Criminal

Stop voting republicRAT

• Members *
  • 13071 posts
  • Interests:Speaking truth to evil, partying, sports and outdoors, avoiding growing up.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

View PostDisk98, on 22 December 2016 - 08:58 PM, said:

The Spirit of Radio on the bass.  As for the piano, well…I can butcher Losing It, but Rush does not translate well to piano.  :no:

Other than the end of Spirit, and perhaps Available Light. : )

#12 Stugotz

Stugotz

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:RUSH
    Bass Player - YYNOT

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

Either "What You're Doing" or "Take a Friend" I can't quite remember.

#13 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18929 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

In The Mood, I think.

#14 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33769 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

I think it was Spirit of Radio. Permanent Waves was the first Rush album that I heard and hearing that song on the radio made me want to learn that opening riff. Then I heard Freewill and Natural Science and I couldn't put the guitar down.

#15 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

Working Man and In The Mood at about the same time. Closer To The Heart on a 12 string was my favorite.

I wish I could still play! I miss it!

#16 garyg7133

garyg7133

The Seeker

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Xanadu on bass. It was actually one of the first songs that I learned PERIOD. That and Stone In Love by Journey. Now I regularly use the R30 Overture as a warm up.

#17 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17345 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:04 AM

On bass:
Parts of Spirit of Radio and Fly by Night.
First full song was Limelight.
Favorite to play is probably Freewill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users