Vapor Trails vs St. Anger

fraroc

Despite the fact that Rush and Metallica are two completley different sounding bands, this point in their history from 2002-2003 had a crucial similarity. Both bands had just released a new record after having not released any new music after a long time and both of those records have been heavily criticized by the respective fans of each band. Vapor Trails' for the terrible production and lack of melody, and St. Anger with it's disjointed songs and horrid production.

Which album do you believe is more listenable? As much as I constantly criticize Vapor Trails, I find it a hell of a lot more listenable than anything on St. Anger.

Who said vapor trails has a lack of melody? That's a ridiculous statement. The issue with the album has always been it sounding poor due to the "brickwalling." I'm unaware of any complaints about a lack of melody.
  • Like 2

Who said vapor trails has a lack of melody? That's a ridiculous statement. The issue with the album has always been it sounding poor due to the "brickwalling." I'm unaware of any complaints about a lack of melody.

Keep in mind, in a sea of silly Fraroc polls, this one is especially silly. Despite his attempt to explain why he's comparing these two albums, there's no reason to compare them. May as well be comparing VT to a pair of pink fuzzy bunny slippers.

• Like 4

Keep in mind, in a sea of silly Fraroc polls, this one is especially silly. Despite his attempt to explain why he's comparing these two albums, there's no reason to compare them. May as well be comparing VT to a pair of pink fuzzy bunny slippers.

http://www.bunnyslippers.com/shop/images/T/energizer-1-sm.jpg

I may have to go with the slippers.

• Like 2

I can't help myself.

So I guess I'm not allowed to discuss anything on this site anymore.

I remember that a lot of the complaints about that album was due to the fact that some songs didn't have any sort of distinct melody where you can hum it and say "oh yeah, I know that song!". Granted, people were also saying similar things about CA, but I hear a lot more distinctive melody in that one than in VT, especially Freeze.

I feel like you've said this before? Once or twice maybe? And yet, here you still are! ;-) :LOL:

• Like 1

Where did I say that?

• Like 1

I love VT but absolutely loathe St. Anger. It is the only Metallica album I don't own and don't even listen to it for free online.
  • Like 1

I remember that a lot of the complaints about that album was due to the fact that some songs didn't have any sort of distinct melody where you can hum it and say "oh yeah, I know that song!". Granted, people were also saying similar things about CA, but I hear a lot more distinctive melody in that one than in VT, especially Freeze.

I don't remember any of this and I would suggest that these people don't know the definition of melody. You may not like the melody but I assure you that every rush song recorded has a distinct melody or melodies that repeat throughout the composition that are distinct and memorable. Some are not great like the chorus of superconductor but they are there.

• Like 1

Where did I say that?

I felt like you were trying to imply it. I mean, the only reason why I even make polls like this is because I like to spark discussion about certain subjects...and I do feel like a lot of people on this forum just write everything I post off as "stupid" before even taking the time out to see what I have to say.

Edited by fraroc

Maybe you should actually listen to it before you make judgments on it. Write a review in your thread

• Like 2

I definitely see a connection between the two albums though. Two early 2000's releases by bands after a break. They both featured no guitar solos and were panned by their fans. Both are considered one of the worst albums by each band.

But I do actually like Vapor Trails, unlike St Anger

• Like 3

Maybe you should actually listen to it before you make judgments on it. Write a review in your thread

You're making me feel bad for abandoning that thread :P

Where did I say that?

I felt like you were trying to imply it. I mean, the only reason why I even make polls like this is because I like to spark discussion about certain subjects...and I do feel like a lot of people on this forum just write everything I post off as "stupid" before even taking the time out to see what I have to say.

That's funny because I've defended you more than once and you were nowhere to be found. Yet when I rip something you said, you're often crying about it. People rip each other's posts all the time on here. I've certainly had my share. So what? Some of your posts ARE stupid IMHO. Others ARE reasonable IMHO. So what?

Sticking to the subject here, Vapor Trails obliterates St.Anger.

And I've never read any post here commenting on VT lack of melody or poor melodies.

I definitely see a connection between the two albums though. Two early 2000's releases by bands after a break. They both featured no guitar solos and were panned by their fans. Both are considered one of the worst albums by each band.

Fraroc, Union has the right way of looking at this. Instead of pitting the two albums against each other -- asking people on a Rush board to choose between a Rush album and a Metallica album that most Metallica fans hate -- maybe start a discussion about the interesting connection between the two, as Union did above.

• Like 1

Fraroc, Union has the right way of looking at this. Instead of pitting the two albums against each other -- asking people on a Rush board to choose between a Rush album and a Metallica album that most Metallica fans hate -- maybe start a discussion about the interesting connection between the two, as Union did above.

It's like confusing Mike Varney with Mark Varney.

• Like 2

You're making me feel bad for abandoning that thread :P

There's no reason you can't return to it