Pick Five Songs

ReRushed

Choose a band and pick five songs that you think prove why that band is good. Or great. Or relevant. Or whatever. They don't have to be your favorite songs or even songs you like. Simply songs that represent why the band is good.

I'm starting with Heart. They wear their influences and inspirations on their sleeves but always seem to put their own twist on things. All great bands do.

1. "Bébé Le Strange" - A hook filled lesson on rock and roll by a confident band.

2. "Love Alive" - It's almost like they took the baton from Led Zeppelin.

3. "Barracuda" - They wrote an iconic riff. 5 seconds into the song you know it's going to be good.

4. "This Man is Mine" - They roam around Motown and prove they could spread their wings.

5. "Say Hello" - They take Joni and run with it. Convincingly.

I found this pretty difficult to do. I left off so many songs I love. Oh yeah, Ann Wilson is one of the great rock vocalist of all-time.

• Like 8

No surprise with me:

- 100,000 Years - Driving, epic 70s song with great riffs all 'round .. Paul Stanley, damn

- Hard Luck Woman - Timeless acoustic song that Paul originally wrote for Rod Stewart, but liked too much to give away

- Detroit Rock City - The greatest rock and roll song ever .. Gene's "Freddie's Dead" bass and Peter's drums are awesome ..So is the epic dual lead

- I Was Made For Lovin' You - Paul goes to Studio 54, goes home and pens a classic hit

- Rocket Ride - Ace, Guitar God ... Fantastic lead, great flanged riffs through the entire song

• Like 6

No surprise with me:

- 100,000 Years - Driving, epic 70s song with great riffs all 'round .. Paul Stanley, damn

- Hard Luck Woman - Timeless acoustic song that Paul originally wrote for Rod Stewart, but liked too much to give away

- Detroit Rock City - The greatest rock and roll song ever .. Gene's "Freddie's Dead" bass and Peter's drums are awesome ..So is the epic dual lead

- I Was Made For Lovin' You - Paul goes to Studio 54, goes home and pens a classic hit

- Rocket Ride - Ace, Guitar God ... Fantastic lead, great flanged riffs through the entire song

Kiss is very deceptive. They have a certain reputation that I find isn't warranted. You picked five songs that cover an impressive range. Rock to country to disco. Think about that. Kiss has a range of material you can compare to a band like the Beatles or Queen. They provided variety. And at times it was very, very good.

• Like 5

No surprise with me:

Kiss is very deceptive. They have a certain reputation that I find isn't warranted. You picked five songs that cover an impressive range. Rock to country to disco. Think about that. Kiss has a range of material you can compare to a band like the Beatles or Queen. They provided variety. And at times it was very, very good.

And I couldn't even fit "Deuce" in there, which is as good as anything they did ..

• Like 1

Selling a band and proving its virtuosity and diverse reach while maintaining its own unique sound.

The Mars Volta

-- Evidence of their ability to write a hit rock ballad, they just don't seem to like to do that often... Good, their other stuff is much more interesting :D

-- Short & Sweet grammy-winning hard rock song

Tetragrammaton -- An engaging and coherent prog epic with a jazz section which instantly clicks. A guitar solo which is more rock inclined than jazz is played over it and it meshes well. Alongside Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize and Yes's Close To The Edge, I consider this a go-to example of a prog epic done right. Incidentally, all these songs have three core parts, with TMV's and Yes's songs having three core parts and then a reprise for the climax.

Ilyena -- On the Bedlam in Goliath album, The Mars Volta embraced middle eastern musical influences, but still maintained their usual Latin / Salsa influenced sound. This song has examples of both of those cultural influences. This song also has an intro and an outro for the song, both of which seem individual from the core song.

-- Skewing the lines between rock and electronic music.. It's rock meets IDM, with of course the use of electronics mixed in with the bass + guitar, but the acoustic drumming is actually more robotic sounding. That's a sort of comment you often hear when a drummer's really good "he's a machine!" and you can say that about all of Mars Volta's drummers, but this time around it really does sound like the drumming was programmed.

The challenge here is slimming it down to five songs. I did my best, but so much is left out.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Bruce Springsteen:

1. Drive All Night

2. New York City Serenade

3. Into The Fire

4. Jungleland

5. Radio Nowhere

• Like 1

No surprise with me:

And I couldn't even fit "Deuce" in there, which is as good as anything they did ..

"Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll" is never mentioned among the usual KISS staples but to me it's as KISS as "Bastille Day"

is Rush. Just a kick ass, fun rock song. And I loved how the archival footage of it was squeezed in on the Beyond the Lighted Stage doc.

• Like 2

Midnight Oil:

Powderworks

Bus to Bondi

Read About It

Sleep

Progress

EDIT: And not the bland studio version of Powderworks, I mean THIS:

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 2

U2

Sunday Bloody Sunday - The drums captured the militarism, the lyrics are the angst, and a great melody. Overplayed now, but for 21 year olds pretty stunning stuff.

Bad - Unconventional song structure, hard to believe it's the same band 18 months on from Sunday bloody Sunday.

With or Without you - Curveball just as people were expecting anthems they got brooding effective simplicity as a leadoff single. Legions of idiots who don't listen to lyrics will later use it a wedding song, I hope they all got divorced. (just kidding).

Mofo - Rock disguised as Techno, badass stuff.

Sleep like a baby tonight - Just when you thought they turned soft they put out their darkest song in years, tackling the heinous abuses of the catholic church.

Dark and angry always results in better songs.

U2

Sunday Bloody Sunday - The drums captured the militarism, the lyrics are the angst, and a great melody. Overplayed now, but for 21 year olds pretty stunning stuff.

Bad - Unconventional song structure, hard to believe it's the same band 18 months on from Sunday bloody Sunday.

With or Without you - Curveball just as people were expecting anthems they got brooding effective simplicity as a leadoff single. Legions of idiots who don't listen to lyrics will later use it a wedding song, I hope they all got divorced. (just kidding).

Mofo - Rock disguised as Techno, badass stuff.

Sleep like a baby tonight - Just when you thought they turned soft they put out their darkest song in years, tackling the heinous abuses of the catholic church.

Dark and angry always results in better songs.

"Bad" performed at Live Aid gave me goose bumps.

• Like 2