What do You Value The Most In A Relationship?

Verena

It surely depends of the relationship itself, how I'm going along with my boyfriend or husband.

But there are some principles very valuable to me, that I apply to my significant other and that I do take seriously whenever I'm in real love with someone.

It's a personal criteria. The importance comes from these features to start a relationship with and to build something stronger. Because I believe love happens with time, no matter if it takes few minutes, weeks, months or years.

Here are mine:

- Faithful;

- Non-authoritarian;

- Some beauty. It really depends because sometimes most gorgeous men might have a terrible behaviour. Or not. I'm unable to stay with someone which appearance would make me feel afraid of though. - I've got my personal standard;

- Introvert. Or an extravert that truly compehends introverts;

- Between 50% - 70% similar interests;

- Personal life stability;

- Someone who accepts differences;

- Companionship;

- A certain measure of sensitiveness, not matter if it's hidden;

- Intelligent;

- Lover;

- Intellectual;

- Good worker;

- Empathic;

- Compassionate at least 30% of times;

- Supportive and caring;

- And love, of course. I believe love comes from all previous features, but love as love: it does matter.

Of course he might have non-qualities to compensate. But with these features above I might take care of anything else. Really. Nothing's perfect, nobody's perfect. But there's always a way.

What about you people?

What's your personal criteria to start and build a relationship with someone? (If one has criteria)

The question applies to any poster: man or woman. ;)

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 3

Honesty is number 1.

They have to be able to converse well too.

because i'm a talker, lol.

Good sense of humor.

andd this may seem unfair of me......but you have to have a Fair knowledge of music.

i know i know..........but with me you kinda HAVE to, lol I'll help fill in their gaps but you have to enjoy it quite a bit. it's a huge part of me. luckily my girlfriend is a large music fan, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I have never been able to forgive Sarah for breaking my heart.

But it was great to know years later she wrote a song about her regrets for hurting me.

Lorraine knows my story

• Like 3

Quiet confidence with a strong sense of self .. The whole "without you I'm nothing" bit is very unappealing ..

I would do anything for the person I care about, and that should go without saying - so being dictatorial, needy or demanding just does not fly with me - it's desperate ..

A sense of fun and humor is also a must ..

It's also a huge turn on when a girl is smart enough to regularly beat me in chess

• Like 2

Quiet confidence with a strong sense of self .. The whole "without you I'm nothing" bit is very unappealing ..

I would do anything for the person I care about, and that should go without saying - so being dictatorial, needy or demanding just does not fly with me - it's desperate ..

It's also a huge turn on when a girl is smart enough to regularly beat me in chess

I bet when a girl asks you, "By the way, do you like chess?" you immediately start stripping. :LOL:

• Like 4

I bet when a girl asks you, "By the way, do you like chess?" you immediately start stripping. :LOL:

:LOL:

• Like 3

And I'm kind of scared to tell you this but I'm pretty good at chess.

• Like 3

Honesty

Without trust, there can be no enduring relationship - lover or friend.

:ebert:

Honesty is number 1.

They have to be able to converse well too.

because i'm a talker, lol.

Good sense of humor.

andd this may seem unfair of me......but you have to have a Fair knowledge of music.

i know i know..........but with me you kinda HAVE to, lol I'll help fill in their gaps but you have to enjoy it quite a bit. it's a huge part of me. luckily my girlfriend is a large music fan, lol

Mick

*Not unfair*, Mick. This is you. That's what I'm asking about.

Thanks for being yourself. I'm quite sure others will do the same. :)

• Like 2

You've got a good sense of humor too

I'd run to the hills if I were you

• Like 2

And she must be Asian too. ;)

• Like 2

:rfl:

• Like 2

I have never been able to forgive Sarah for breaking my heart.

But it was great to know years later she wrote a song about her regrets for hurting me.

Lorraine knows my story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqps9ZdMxs0

:hug2: :hug2:

What's love without a good laughter? ;)

:ebert: Cool!!

• Like 2

I'm Asian too. If I were a girl you'd be all over me like white on rice. God I hope you're not gay. :LOL:

• Like 4

I'm Asian too. If I were a girl you'd be all over me like white on rice. God I hope you're not gay. :LOL:

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Hahahahahahahahaha...

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 2

Imagine if we didn't laugh here on the forum ??

I can't

That's why being able to laugh and be a kid in a relationship is a must

I can't imagine this forum without a great laugh! :LOL:

In the words of the poet Robert Anthony Plant

"Does Anybody Remember Laughter?"

• Like 4

Respect must come before anything else.

You can be with someone who doesn't love you, but you cannot be with someone who doesn't respect you.

If your spouse/lover doesn't respect you, then he/she could do anything to you - lie, cheat, talk down to you, do things behind your back......anything.

• Like 7

Sense of humor is important. Honesty. Compassion. Humbleness. Respect. It's also important that they take care of themselves.

And JB....a nice rack is an added bonus, ;)

• Like 3

Respect must come before anything else.

You can be with someone who doesn't love you, but you cannot be with someone who doesn't respect you.

If your spouse/lover doesn't respect you, then he/she could do anything to you - lie, cheat, talk down to you, do things behind your back......anything.

Respect is essential .. but respect in not a given - it is earned

• Like 2