Member titles are overrated!

• Members *
  • 16449 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 30 November 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 30 November 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 November 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 November 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

If I picked a film I'd later on realise I should have picked another one, and later on another one and so on and so on. All my picks would always be wrong. Thus I can't participate.
Honestly, this thread is a futile effort as I could list out a hundred movies rather quickly that I would consider masterpieces and it would be almost impossible to rank them.

And then someone would come along and completely disagree with me.

You can add one every ten picks- I would love to see favorites from both you guys!  

I already need to watch 2001- A Space Odyssey with Lucas- I have seen it (and A Clockwork Orange is another one) a few times.  An example of what is supposed to be a great movie and I just don't get it for some reason.  I don't care for it.
2001 is a little slow getting to the point a little like the Godfather. Both have scenes that drag endlessly.
The first 20-30 minutes of the Godfather is a little slow but it is also necessary. After that though, the story moves quite well.  You know, I never read the book.  I probably should.

Sponsored Post

#22 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 84405 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 November 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

If I picked a film I'd later on realise I should have picked another one, and later on another one and so on and so on. All my picks would always be wrong. Thus I can't participate.
Honestly, this thread is a futile effort as I could list out a hundred movies rather quickly that I would consider masterpieces and it would be almost impossible to rank them.

You can add one every ten picks- I would love to see favorites from both you guys!  

I already need to watch 2001- A Space Odyssey with Lucas- I have seen it (and A Clockwork Orange is another one) a few times.  An example of what is supposed to be a great movie and I just don't get it for some reason.  I don't care for it.
2001 is a little slow getting to the point a little like the Godfather. Both have scenes that drag endlessly.

I don't like either film.
I think a lot of people rave about them because they've been described as these brilliant films that you MUST think are fantastic. I've always been unimpressed. I like the ideas in 2001 but it takes ages to get to the point.

#23 Natural Scientist in 2112

Natural Scientist in 2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Rush, college football/basketball, bass guitar playing, hard rock, progressive rock, southern rock, traveling

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:17 PM

Haven't seen many a movie so far in my life, but I'll go ahead and chime in here:

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey ( Lucas )
2) Three Colors Trilogy: Blue, White and Red, by Krzysztof Kieslowski. ( Rhyv )
3) Dumb and Dumber (ReRushed)
4) Schindler's List (Segue Myles)
5) Saving Private Ryan (Bigbobby10)
6) Billy Madison (Super25Smasher)
7) Jurassic Park (Ken Jennings)
8) The Godfather (thesweetscience)
9) Blue Velvet (vaportrailer)

10) Full Metal Jacket (NS 2112)

I know I'm probably "too young" for this movie, sure. But still, it's one of the best war movies ever and I very much enjoyed watching it. And while it is heavy on the profanity, it does add to how realistic it is in its depiction of the Marine Corps and Vietnam. Another well-done Kubrick film.

I'll have to check out the movies listed above in the future as well.

#24 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42714 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

11) Ben-Hur (1959) (Lorraine)

Edited by Lorraine, 30 November 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#25 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32397 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 30 November 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

I think a lot of people rave about them because they've been described as these brilliant films that you MUST think are fantastic. I've always been unimpressed. I like the ideas in 2001 but it takes ages to get to the point.

My thoughts exactly.

#26 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18712 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

I love both films.

2001 like a silent film. You can turn the sound down and still follow the story. A very simple story, by the way. It's a beautiful film to look at and that's why the pacing is so slow. Think of pictures or paintings in a museum. Think of photographs. You study the pictures and contemplate them. It's the same with 2001 and there's a bonus of the pictures moving. It's sequenced beautifully. The shots match up and compliment each other almost perfectly.

The Godfather is wonderful and epic. The characters are all memorable. The dialogue is sharp and realistic. It also is a movie with a bit of campiness thrown in. It's hilarious. I find every scene in the movie to be essential to moving the story forward. And to watch Michael Corleone descent into evil is terrific and intelligent storytelling.

#27 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18712 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:25 PM

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 November 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

The first 20-30 minutes of the Godfather is a little slow but it is also necessary. After that though, the story moves quite well.  You know, I never read the book.  I probably should.
The book is great. It's a very fast read.

#28 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32397 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:29 PM

View PostReRushed, on 30 November 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

I love both films.

2001 like a silent film. You can turn the sound down and still follow the story. A very simple story, by the way. It's a beautiful film to look at and that's why the pacing is so slow. Think of pictures or paintings in a museum. Think of photographs. You study the pictures and contemplate them. It's the same with 2001 and there's a bonus of the pictures moving. It's sequenced beautifully. The shots match up and compliment each other almost perfectly.

The Godfather is wonderful and epic. The characters are all memorable. The dialogue is sharp and realistic. It also is a movie with a bit of campiness thrown in. It's hilarious. I find every scene in the movie to be essential to moving the story forward. And to watch Michael Corleone descent into evil is terrific and intelligent storytelling.

I still find them boring.

#29 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18712 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 November 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

I love both films.

I'm not attempting to change your mind. Be bored all you like.

#30 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 84405 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

Shhh everyone Lorraine is in the thread!

#31 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32397 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostReRushed, on 30 November 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

I love both films.

Although truth be told 13 years old might have been way too young for me to enjoy a film like Godfather.

I haven't seen part two.

Might be worth trying again!

#32 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18712 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 November 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

I love both films.

Although truth be told 13 years old might have been way too young for me to enjoy a film like Godfather.

I haven't seen part two.

They are two very different movies that compliment each other perfectly.

#33 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32397 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostReRushed, on 30 November 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 November 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

I love both films.

I haven't seen part two.

They are two very different movies that compliment each other perfectly.

I will try them again. I might read the book first though to help me anticipate the films more (I find this works for me).

#34 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5962 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

Al Pacino in The Godfather is excellent !  That does remind me of another good movie though!

12) Goodfellas (1990) (blueschica)

It holds your attention the entire time- Martin Scorsese directed it.  Ray Liotta and Robert De Niro give wonderful performances.

Edited by blueschica, 30 November 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#35 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18712 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

View Postblueschica, on 30 November 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

It holds your attention the entire time- Martin Scorsese directed it.  Ray Liotta and Robert De Niro give wonderful performances.
I've seen this movie so many times I notice all the continuity mistakes with the editing. None of it distracts the storytelling.

#36 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18712 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:33 PM

13) Chinatown (ReRushed)

Fantastic film-noir. Great plot and plot twists. Nicholson at his best. One of the best movies of the 1970s. There's only one drawback...

#37 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5962 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:41 PM

View PostReRushed, on 30 November 2016 - 05:31 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 30 November 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

I've seen this movie so many times I notice all the continuity mistakes with the editing. None of it distracts the storytelling.
Yeah, it's a good one!  I love Martin Scorsese's mom playing as Joe Pesci's mom when they go there to get a shovel.  And Joe Pesci anyway- "Funny how?"    When Goodfellas comes on, my family is like- "oh well, mom's gone the next 2 hours . . ."

#38 ILSnwdog

ILSnwdog

King Of Car Porn

• Members *
  • 50061 posts
  • Interests:My kids. Music. Cars. Sports. Snowmobiling. Just about anything outdoors.

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:46 PM

13) Chinatown (ReRushed)

14.) Airplane! (ILSnwdog)

Funniest movie ever made...period.

#39 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5614 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:34 PM

13) Chinatown (ReRushed)

15) The Big Lebowski (a rocket that ignites itself)

One of the most quotable movies ever.   Cult like following for this classic comedy....repeat viewings required.  Jeff Bridges nailed "The Dude" character.

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself, 30 November 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#40 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10906 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:59 PM

13) Chinatown (ReRushed)
15) The Big Lebowski (a rocket that ignites itself)

16) Rear Window (Lucas)

Hitch's personality is all over this - simple and full of life ... Grace Kelly and Jimmy Stewart are as perfect as can be ... The tension as the film progresses is almost unbearable ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users