What would you have done?

JohnnyBlaze

The Wallet  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What would you have done?

• I would've chased the guy down and given him his wallet. It's the right thing to do.
    • I would've given his wallet to the gf who he had just scolded. Let her decide what's next.
    • I would've reported the wallet to the cafe staff. That would've been fair.
    • I would've taken the wallet for myself! Show me the money!
    • I would've done what you did Johnny! f**k him!
    • I would've comforted the girl and spent that guy's money on her. Why not?
    • I would've done something else and I'll share it in my post.

Yesterday I was by myself in a cafe. During my people-watching session, I noticed a couple in their late teens-early 20s sitting a few tables away involved in something. The guy was being an all-around dick and talking down to his gf like she was nothing. He occasionally raised his voice...though he wasn't swearing or doing anything physically intimidating (unless you count cocking his shoulders back and puffing out his bony chest like a wannabe badass). I didn't think he was going to strike her anyway. Meanwhile, the girl just sat there with her head slightly lowered and on the verge of tears. After a few more minutes of his crap and her silence, he stormed out of the cafe without her. Outside, as he walked by some bushes I saw his long, rectangle-shaped Louis Vuitton wallet ((an all-too common item in these parts...but that's another story)) pop out of his back pocket and fall into the bushes. It fell just deep enough into the bushes which made it difficult to spot. The guy didn't realize what happened and kept walking away in his tough guy anger.

I could've gone out of the cafe, scooped up the wallet, and chased the guy down to give him back his wallet no problem. But I didn't.

I could've gotten the wallet and given it to his gf (that he left in the cafe) and let her deal with it. But I didn't.

I could've gotten the wallet, given it to the cafe staff inside, and told them that someone dropped their wallet. But I didn't.

I could've gotten the wallet, kept all the contents for myself, and rationalized that the dick deserved it. But I didn't.

Instead, I let the wallet sit there and sit there and sit there for the remaining 20 minutes or so that I stayed. When I left the cafe, I looked at it as it was mostly hidden in the bushes and partly smiled as I kept on walking. A petty kind of revenge for someone I didn't even know. "f**k him" I thought.

What would you have done?

:blaze:

Given it to the girl. No question.

That was my 2nd thought. (Perhaps surprisingly) My first thought was to actually chase the guy down and give it to him personally. But he was such a bastard I just couldn't do it.

Yeah, let the girl decide. If she throws it in the trash, goofdfor her.

Not giving it to the gal or him. I suspect by the way he treated her, if she gave it to him, he'd blame her. If I gave it to him, he'd probably be a dick and accuse me of stealing from him; either cash or the wallet. So yeah, not liking confrontation and not wanting the girl to have to put up with any more emotional abuse, I'd give it to the cafe staff. Duty done.
  • Like 2

Given it to the girl and asked her if everything is OK with that guy. But I don't know if JB, as a guy, can do that without sounding like he is maybe hitting on her. So as me, give the girlfriend the wallet. As JB, leave it in the bushes and hope someone finds it and runs up a huge bill on the loser's credit cards. ETA: But actually, just for a minute. Take it and give it to the cafe staff; you did your part then. Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Since he was being such a dick I would have just left the wallet and not done a thing. If he's not gonna be nice to this woman then why should I be nice and try to get him his wallet back? They guy was being an asshole by berating that woman and almost making her cry in public. He deserves no such kindness after how he acted.
  • Like 2

Now what gets my attention: situation the girl was at.

If she was crying, she had reasons.

I surely related because I've been in similar situations. In this case I try to help who's suffering.

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

I would have let it stay there. The immediate karmic backlash against that guy is just delicious.

You don't think karma might come into play with your choice of inaction? Sins of omission, and all that.
  • Like 4

That's tough. If it had been an ordinary situation I would have chased down the guy and given it to him. If I couldn't find him I would have given it to the girl. I wouldn't have given it to the staff because good chance his money and cards could be stolen by doing that. But in this situation where he was being a dick to the girl, let it lie. I might even give it a good kick further into the bushes as I left.
  • Like 3

I would have let it stay there. The immediate karmic backlash against that guy is just delicious.

You don't think karma might come into play with your choice of inaction? Sins of omission, and all that.

No. I don't see it as a sin to not personally make sure the man gets his wallet back. If/when he figures out that he doesn't have it and retraces his steps, then it's still there instead of being in my hands while I'm looking for him (I know that in JB's initial scenario, it would have been easy to get it back to him right away, but those scenarios are rare when someone loses a wallet).

Whatever karmic backlash I receive for not being kind to a man who treats a woman the way he was treating his girlfriend, I'll deal with.

And yes, I know I'm making a value judgement, there. But I can live with that, too.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

What Would Neil Peart do?

a) Continue to ignore all non-interesting humanoid forms.

b) Keep reading his book with his face turned to the wall (with a pinched or pained look).

c) Run outside and offer the guy an autograph/selfie.

d) Write an overworked lyric about it, cloaked in pedantry. (ha ha)

e) Wouldn't even notice. Too busy thinking about drums and mystic rhythms.

f) Send a postcard to Alex/Geddy describing what happened in bold and colourful prose.

• Like 3

I would have chased him down and then led him back to the location where the wallet was ...

Because he was so upset, he didn't realize he had dropped it, and I would have tried to bring that point home to him -

I admit that, on occasion, I get too involved - and with that in mind, I would have tried to get him to go back and sit down, calmly, and smooth things over with his girlfriend ...

If all that failed, I would have gone back and hit on her

• Like 3

I would have chased him down and then led him back to the location where the wallet was ...

Because he was so upset, he didn't realize he had dropped it, and I would have tried to bring that point home to him -

I admit that, on occasion, I get too involved - and with that in mind, I would have tried to get him to go back and sit down, calmly, and smooth things over with his girlfriend ...

:o

You just fell off your pedestal I'm sorry to say.

;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

;)

lol

Wouldn't be the first time

:LOL:

• Like 2

;)

In terms of picking up ladies? :yes: Retreived from the bushes, the wallet is your in with the girl. Give it the old, "I noticed your brother dropped his wallet..." bit, and go on from there. :LOL:
  • Like 2

:LOL:

*admires*

*gains another point on personal respect list*

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

;)

In terms of picking up ladies? :yes: Retreived from the bushes, the wallet is your in with the girl. Give it the old, "I noticed your brother dropped his wallet..." bit, and go on from there. :LOL:

The reason why I would have given the wallet to its owner and not the girl is because I don't know anything about their relationship.

Things aren't always as they seem.

No one knows what has gone on in that relationship that caused the witnessed scene between the two.

• Like 3

;)

Yes...yes...good...

[vaportrailer taking notes furiously]

• Like 1