Travel Thread

vaportrailer

The guy I connected with is an interesting man. He's brilliantly eccentric, having ditched everything in the early 90's to run off and live a couple of years Russia, then making his way across Europe, working odds jobs along the way. He's made his way over the decades as a math tutor and international trader in rare postcards.

His dad was a doctor in the are, and, as I learned, had acquired several family land holdings over time. One 40-acre parcel, a tree farm, had been divided into four equal parcels and given to my buddy, his twin sisters, and a cousin. This is the ten-acre parcel that he lives on (part-time).

KbJYnbX.jpg?1

The pond is stocked with trout, and every year Alan holds a derby for the Exceptional Foresters, a support group of 100+ mentally-challenged men and women.

4Dt2nT5.jpg?1

jzY9RPz.jpg

• Like 3

This used to be Bayshore Golf Course, but has been converted into a bird sanctuary.

EDgs0vp.jpg?1

Lots of big Doug Firs on the land...

p9TKn1u.jpg?1

Reminds me of my Scouting days, especially Summer camps!

l3yRaHK.jpg

• Like 1

Today facebook reminded me that two years ago I was a week into my 5-week road trip with the Lad. Glacier Natl Park was the stop on this day...Road to the Sun.

14425278_248681812200015_3384508958330420177_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&oh=3fa0f442104bb7f4ba2f337e0b20af10&oe=5C2D63C2

The Lad got his first experience at scoping Grizz.

14462983_248673788867484_392653062499342345_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=85c227d8d47bce6343913c0e6a206828&oe=5C2D174F

He's such a cool kid.

I've been eyeing Glacier NP, and that road, for a long, long time. I need to get out there.

I should have a convertible to my disposal next summer. Hopefully I make it so. Life has a lot of demands in a lot of directions!

Canada Trip No. 4 happened in August. Canada Trip No. 5 is anticipated for Christmas :D

A few photos from the current jaunt:

NH7Doxv.jpg

"Red Lake", near Ottawa, ON

hzJO8ii.png

A bridge just behind that building on the cover of Moving Pictures

GIF4RCR.png

25 mile or so bike ride in, around, and out of Montreal, QC. Including several miles in complete darkness on a thin peninsula due to construction trail closures!

HDWx9Cf.png

Pedestrian-only street near McGill University.

• Like 3

I made a road trip to the Oregon Coast this week...specifically to Bandon Dunes, to play some golf. The place is just stunning...

1StrJrq.jpg?1

KPp8Glz.jpg?1

SZ33jbQ.jpg?1

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I thought it would be fun to start a travel thread - to see and hear about where folks in TRF are going, or would like to visit.

And to perhaps share some travel advice with others.

Anything travel related!

I have tickets to Thailand at Christmas. 2 weeks there, and then 2 weeks in Cambodia. Escaping Canadian winter for a whole month. Yay!

I'm so excited, I started a thread.

So, where are you heading, or thinking about going?

For purposes of this thread how far from home must you be to consider it travel?

• Like 1

Wyoming was cool,The Oregon Trail, so was Colorado...The Royal Gorge...Pueblo, Colorado, Dodge City, Kansas, George Custer's Grave at Little Big Horn...all of this in 1966.

kAE9Zkv.gif

• Like 2

I thought it would be fun to start a travel thread - to see and hear about where folks in TRF are going, or would like to visit.

And to perhaps share some travel advice with others.

Anything travel related!

I have tickets to Thailand at Christmas. 2 weeks there, and then 2 weeks in Cambodia. Escaping Canadian winter for a whole month. Yay!

I'm so excited, I started a thread.

So, where are you heading, or thinking about going?

For purposes of this thread how far from home must you be to consider it travel?

Well, first we'll have to define "home", and since I don't really want to do that, let's ask Go-ogle to define travel:

"make a journey, typically of some length or abroad."

Are you running away from home again? Or is this about psychedelics? :P

In all some seriousness, where ya goin' or thinkin' of goin'? Quebec? The Island of Rhode?

You might be interested to hear VIA Rail has partnered with Air Canada, to bring you a travel experience you won't soon forget:

697577b910b30eff3d6729e080bb8dc6.jpg

This is "Premium Economy" (featuring "extra leg-room" and "view"). Regular "Economy" passengers are beneath the train.

• Like 1

An interesting list. I'd like to know more about the methodology. I've always wanted to see Quebec.

https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartanntp

Just be careful of Bonhomme. He's a real dick...er, "un dick vraiment."

pCt6KyN.jpg

Py9VPu3.jpg

Who or WHAT the HECK is it?

pcG2tzV.gif

• Like 1

An interesting list. I'd like to know more about the methodology. I've always wanted to see Quebec.

https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartanntp

Just be careful of Bonhomme. He's a real dick...er, "un dick vraiment."

pCt6KyN.jpg

Py9VPu3.jpg

Who or WHAT the HECK is it?

pcG2tzV.gif

:LOL: It's "Bonhomme", which translates as "eater of souls".

He's Josh Homme's grandpa, and an icon to Quebecois. Some say that Celine Dion was formed from one of his ribs.

:no:

None of that is true, although he is loved/enjoyed by French-Canadians. Here's his song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MauJMnxYaes

This is the musical equivalent of satan, so be forewarned...

"Zinga zinga zinga zing" :P

(It's been said that in the Trois-Rivieres area, this song, when played backward in a graveyard, will conjure up a whole bunch of wasted time.)

• Like 1