Travel Thread

vaportrailer

Killer pics, VT! Just beautiful!

Thanks, Goose! I'm no photographer, just thought a few folks might be interested.

There were a couple personal ones I didn't bother to upload: my poor stoned driver sitting beside the above temple, and me having a wee puff at said temple. I'll PM 'em to ya, if you're interested! :LOL:

• Like 1

Well nowhere as interesting as what VT has going on but I did book a 10 day trip to Scotland in September and a 5 day trip to Boston in July. Baby steps.

Going to Scotland is not "baby steps"! :LOL:

Congrats! That sounds like a nice trip. My mom's side is Scottish and I know she's mystified that I've never traveled to Europe.

I've also never been to the States, other than airports and a quick overnight somewhere outside NYC.

I keep going to far-flung places because my rapidly-aging body can still handle it. Once those long-haul flights start being a real drag then I'll check out more of Canada - I'd like to see Newfoundland before my time is up.

But right now I'm still fascinated by Southeast Asia and will return as soon as my bank/boss/darling wife will allow! :D

"There's so many things to feel and see while you're awake." - Capt. Beefheart

http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/beefheart.jpg

• Like 2

Well nowhere as interesting as what VT has going on but I did book a 10 day trip to Scotland in September and a 5 day trip to Boston in July. Baby steps.

Congrats! That sounds like a nice trip. My mom's side is Scottish and I know she's mystified that I've never traveled to Europe.

I've also never been to the States, other than airports and a quick overnight somewhere outside NYC.

I keep going to far-flung places because my rapidly-aging body can still handle it. Once those long-haul flights start being a real drag then I'll check out more of Canada - I'd like to see Newfoundland before my time is up.

But right now I'm still fascinated by Southeast Asia and will return as soon as my bank/boss/darling wife will allow! :D

Asia scares me. I am not sure I will ever go.

That's how I feel about the US. :LOL:

The only thing that worries me about travel is that some damn idiot is going to flip-out on the plane and then we have to turn around...or crash.

But damn idiots roam freely and they're sure as hell not going to keep me from the food and fun of SEA. If they could keep me away from the diarrhea, that would be great. :yes:

I'm still not sure what it is about Asia that scares you. Mosquito-borne illness? Soup for breakfast? Rampant monkeys? :P

Luckily our planet is so huge - why bother going somewhere that you have no interest in? Unless you had a free ticket...

• Like 1

The only thing that worries me about travel is that some damn idiot is going to flip-out on the plane and then we have to turn around...or crash.

But damn idiots roam freely and they're sure as hell not going to keep me from the food and fun of SEA. If they could keep me away from the diarrhea, that would be great. :yes:

I'm still not sure what it is about Asia that scares you. Mosquito-borne illness? Soup for breakfast? Rampant monkeys? :P

Luckily our planet is so huge - why bother going somewhere that you have no interest in? Unless you had a free ticket...

Not being able to speak the language. Also, being American and more hated in that part of the world than others.

Not that we probably aren't hated in Scotland also but I feel less likely to end up in prison for the rest of my life on some trumped up charges in Scotland than in some third world Asian nation.

Edited by thesweetscience

;) ;) mbSjEaim.jpg a7VQfl9m.jpg

• Like 3

;) ;) mbSjEaim.jpg a7VQfl9m.jpg

giphy.gif

;)

• Like 1

Not being able to speak the language. Also, being American and more hated in that part of the world than others.

Not that we probably aren't hated in Scotland also but I feel less likely to end up in prison for the rest of my life on some trumped up charges in Scotland than in some third world Asian nation.

I don't speak any of the languages of the countries I travel to. I don't even speak our official 2nd language, French! Me no good languages with.

I'm not sure why you worry about foreign prisons...:D

As far as being an American abroad, nobody in Asia hates you - maybe they're confused by the guy you elected but that's about it. I suppose there could be a mild distaste for all things Steven Seagal but I just assumed that was universal.

Many people are fascinated with the West, its culture (Hollywood, music) and people. It's pretty cool to see what's actually out there as opposed to what Faux News etc would have you believe about the outside world.

Be careful in Scotland though; not only of the Loch Ness monster but of oatcakes! They're so bland you might forget you're eating one. They could kill! :LOL:

Palembang, Sumatra - for ORFie! :cheers:

me6MugTl.jpg

:banana:

I'M HOME!!!

[i FINALLY FOUND YOUR POST! LMAO]

qf1peC8.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 2

Bump to say hello from Edinburgh!

:hi: I love this town. Lots of great places to see and the pubs are just fantastic. If you find the time then go and visit the Greyfriar's Kirkyard. It's an old cemetery dating back to the late 16th century. Very spooky.

• Like 2

:hi: I love this town. Lots of great places to see and the pubs are just fantastic. If you find the time then go and visit the Greyfriar's Kirkyard. It's an old cemetery dating back to the late 16th century. Very spooky.

That is very close to where we stayed but we did not see it. We are currently in the highlands but will be back in Edinburgh at the end of the week. I will try and see it then.

I am in love with this country!

• Like 4

That is very close to where we stayed but we did not see it. We are currently in the highlands but will be back in Edinburgh at the end of the week. I will try and see it then.

Hopefully you don't feel "hated" there! (referencing post #431 above)

:P

Glad you're enjoying your travels. How's the food?

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 1

They definitely hate us.

The Scottish people are convinced that we are all in love with our current president which constantly has me defending myself.

Also,I am an inexperienced Traveller which this time has f***ed me in terms of driving. I didn't know how an average speed camera worked and couple that with the lack of posted speed limit signs, I am sure about 2000 pounds worth of fines will be hitting me in a few weeks.

It's a beautiful country but I will probably not come back.

• Like 2

Great. Which parts of the Highlands have you been to? The west coast is really spectacular and the Hebrides (especially Skye) are beyond belief.

Great. Which parts of the Highlands have you been to? The west coast is really spectacular and the Hebrides (especially Skye) are beyond belief.

We stayed in and around the Cairngorns. Pitlochrie, Aviemore and Inverness. Skye is a ways up so it will have to wait for next trip, if there is one. Tourism is ruining the landscape up there anyway.

The hiking in the Cairngorns is amazing!

• Like 2

They definitely hate us.

The Scottish people are convinced that we are all in love with our current president which constantly has me defending myself.

Also,I am an inexperienced Traveller which this time has f***ed me in terms of driving. I didn't know how an average speed camera worked and couple that with the lack of posted speed limit signs, I am sure about 2000 pounds worth of fines will be hitting me in a few weeks.

Hate "us"? Even Canadians? :o Way to go, Trump! Now you have the Scots hating the Canucks. Pinhead (gaelic for "great one", pronounced "pee-nay")

Sorry to hear of your experiences. I'm sure a smile and an "I didn't vote for him!" would go a long way. :huh:

As a somewhat experienced traveler(?), I've never contemplated driving in another country. No f*ckin way! You're brave to attempt that.

(I drove in Japan once, just because my friend who lived there was too drunk to drive us home. That was a looooong few kilometers!)

Good luck with the speeding fines. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

I like how you make yourself out to be a timid traveler, and then you're zooming around lawlessly in a foreign country! :LOL:

Be careful of Scottish prisons, though. They serve oatcakes 3 times a day.

• Like 1

They definitely hate us.

Hate "us"? Even Canadians? :o Way to go, Trump! Now you have the Scots hating the Canucks. Pinhead (gaelic for "great one", pronounced "pee-nay")

Sorry to hear of your experiences. I'm sure a smile and an "I didn't vote for him!" would go a long way. :huh:

As a somewhat experienced traveler(?), I've never contemplated driving in another country. No f*ckin way! You're brave to attempt that.

(I drove in Japan once, just because my friend who lived there was too drunk to drive us home. That was a looooong few kilometers!)

Good luck with the speeding fines. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

I like how you make yourself out to be a timid traveler, and then you're zooming around lawlessly in a foreign country! :LOL:

Be careful of Scottish prisons, though. They serve oatcakes 3 times a day.

I am not a Canadian but I have met several while touring around. They all seemed to like it here and so far, even with the threat of tariffs, Canadians don't seem to have issue with those of us from the US. Give it time I guess.

The driving itself was fine. The roads here are quite nice actually. My issue is mostly with the rental car company and the lack of adequate signage to go along with the heavy policing of speed.

Next time I come to Europe I will most definitely use the trains and busses. I wasn't sure how it would work but now having been here and seen how integrated the systems are here, I won't be afraid to use them next time. You can get anywhere and it wouldn't have cost me any more to use them than what it cost me to get a rental.

• Like 2

Oh and the food was good.

I can almost taste it!

:P

Haggis, neeps and taties. The haggis is good as long as you don't focus on how it's made or what it's made of. It's like meatloaf.

What haggis is made of doesn’t bother me. How it tastes just isn’t pleasurable to me...though I can easily name a dozen plus dishes I’ve had which are way worse.

It didn’t remind me of meatloaf either but I can see the comparison.

Today facebook reminded me that two years ago I was a week into my 5-week road trip with the Lad. Glacier Natl Park was the stop on this day...Road to the Sun.

14425278_248681812200015_3384508958330420177_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&oh=3fa0f442104bb7f4ba2f337e0b20af10&oe=5C2D63C2

The Lad got his first experience at scoping Grizz.

14462983_248673788867484_392653062499342345_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=85c227d8d47bce6343913c0e6a206828&oe=5C2D174F

He's such a cool kid.

• Like 5

OK...this July I was lucky enough to spend a week in the town where I went to high school. I hung out with four HS buds I've spent time with over the years, and re-connected with a close friend that I hadn't seen for 32 years. The weather was perfect, turning a place that gets 60+ inches of rain per year into a summer paradise.

Here's my buddies on our last day together. L to R, Mark, Dennis, Jeff and Bob.

GASH5OU.jpg?1

We were at Mark's place on Hood Canal...

zn415gd.jpg?1

That's Mt. Rainier in the distance.

SkTfm9o.jpg?1

Edited by goose
  • Like 4