Travel Thread

vaportrailer

I got to visit th school where I first taught. Eureka High had 150 students grade 7-12 back in the late 80's when I taught there. Now it's down to 100. But, because of the wealth of the gold mines in the north part of the county, the town was able to pay cash for a $12.5 million addition of a gym and athletic center. Check out this basketball court...

xekKHcR.jpg?1

Behind where I took this photo are indoor batting cages and a weight room. The cardio room is across the gym. The windows in this photo...? That's so you have a view while running on this elevated two-lane indoor track that encircles the complex...

58seJLc.jpg?1

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

A highlight of my trip was a visit to the old Ruby Mine that sits above town. It's abandoned now, but you can still feel the energy that must have been there in its heyday. The mine is in the background, with some kind of smelter here in the foreground...

f308opb.jpg?1

This was a platform for carts that hauled ore up on rails from the mine shafts...

HPyJCcA.jpg?1

Here's our lead guitarist, Bruce, on that same platform, to give a sense of the size of those timbers...

01i31G7.jpg?1

Here's the shack that housed the steam engines that powered the cables for hauling the ore carts. On the right you see the cable coming out of the buidling. I ended up "salvaging" that ladder and a few other artifacts.

GPMThFQ.jpg?1

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

A highlight of my trip was a visit to the old Ruby Mine that sits above town. It's abandoned now, but you can still feel the energy that must have been there in its heyday. The mine is in the background, with some kind of smelter here in the foreground...

f308opb.jpg?1

This was a platform for carts that hauled ore up on rails from the mine shafts...

HPyJCcA.jpg?1

Here's our lead guitarist, Bruce, on that same platform, to give a sense of the size of those timbers...

01i31G7.jpg?1

Here's the shack that housed the steam engines that powered the cables for hauling the ore carts. On the right you see the cable coming out of the buidling. I ended up "salvaging" that ladder and a few other artifacts.

GPMThFQ.jpg?1

These are such cool photos! Mining places are so interesting!

Near Eureka, CA or Eureka, NV ? I am curious because the mine photos look something like a place in NV where we spent a cool day when we lived in Salt Lake City. An elderly neighbor told us about a mining "ghost town" in Nevada that he thought our family might like to hike around. All I can say is that it was south of Elko and north of Ely! :LOL: It was the emptiest place I think we have ever been; there were so few cars around (none) that it was starting to get creepy (before cell phones.) We had to stop in the middle of the highway because 2 badgers were crossing the road and taking their damn time about it. :). I remember telling everyone to look around and be silent; it was so rare for us to be in a place where there were no electric lines, phone lines or anyone else. Long day but really cool. Thanks for your photos as they (obviously :LOL:) brought back memories.

• Like 1

Strange drink, Palembang:

mSTJo2Zl.jpg

Called "es teler", it's obviously more a dessert than a drink! Made with shaved ice; cubes of avocado, jackfruit, mango and coloured gelatin; condensed and evaporated milk. Little strands of coconut in there too, iirc.

It was not at all what I'd expected, but ended up being quite delicious and refreshing - and very sweet!

• Like 1

New friends, Palembang:

EDNYH6gl.jpg

These two took about 400 pictures of me eating the local specialty "pempek" - a sort of fish dumpling served several different ways and with a delicious dipping sauce. A fun way to spend a rainy afternoon.

• Like 1

Ta Prohm temple:

lkJDv0Ul.jpg

A very beautiful and interesting temple, with maybe 4 other people wandering around. Entry fee: 1$. Cold coconuts and snacks available onsite.

Had a nice reefer on a Canadian-donated bench just to the right of this pic. Ah, sweet mem'ries...:)

• Like 3

Market, Palembang:

nOb8Y5cl.jpg

I love those bright colors on the Palembang buildings!

Yeah, they were a real treat for the eyes (and nose - sometimes). Taking pictures in the market was next to impossible due to the low-hanging tarps, the crowds and the motorcycles that fought their way through! The fruit was so colourful and the fruit-shakes were delicious!

There's so much to see on this crazy planet, and I'm really lucky to have been able to travel as there are so many people who will never have that opportunity/luxury.

• Like 2