Travel Thread

vaportrailer

I want to go snorkeling!!! I've done it in the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos and loved it. I'm wondering if it is just as cool in the Keys? Bermuda? Scuba diving is way too scary for me to try...
  • Like 3

Well, I made it safely from Jackson Hole, WY to Eden, UT, navigating on compact snow and ice most of the way. Highlights, besides the majesty of the snow-clad Tetons, included bald eagles and a massive herd of elk. I made it in good enough time to enjoy a couple of bonus ski hours at Snowbasin, UT.

I finished my day with a great Mexican dinner at a place I stumbled upon after making a wrong turn. I love when that happens.

Right on :cheers:

What are your other Utah plans this time around?

More skiing on Sunday and meeting up with workingcinderellaman on Monday. Also, Tuesday AM I plan on visiting the Hill AFB air museum before making the long trek home to Carson City.

Well, I made it safely from Jackson Hole, WY to Eden, UT, navigating on compact snow and ice most of the way. Highlights, besides the majesty of the snow-clad Tetons, included bald eagles and a massive herd of elk. I made it in good enough time to enjoy a couple of bonus ski hours at Snowbasin, UT.

I finished my day with a great Mexican dinner at a place I stumbled upon after making a wrong turn. I love when that happens.

I forgot to mention that on my way to Utah, I got to partake in a cattle drive...

1U2RCKP.jpg

It was fun navigating my way around and through +/- 300 head of cattle.

• Like 1

I want to go snorkeling!!! I've done it in the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos and loved it. I'm wondering if it is just as cool in the Keys? Bermuda? Scuba diving is way too scary for me to try...

Years ago my family and I went snorkeling in John J Pennekamp state park off Key Largo, which is near the top of the Keys; opposite end of Key West. I thought it was great but I've never been to the Bahamas or Turks & Caicos! There are all kinds of snorkeling charters all through the keys, though, and glass bottom boat tours.

• Like 1

More skiing on Sunday and meeting up with workingcinderellaman on Monday. Also, Tuesday AM I plan on visiting the Hill AFB air museum before making the long trek home to Carson City.

Loved the museum at Hill the year we lived in Utah. The jets and planes are fascinating up close. Your tax dollars at work! My kids fell in love with the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane that was based at Hill at the time. I believe we still own several decks of SR-71 playing cards. If they still have a Blackbird, tell it I said hi !

• Like 1

Years ago my family and I went snorkeling in John J Pennekamp state park off Key Largo, which is near the top of the Keys; opposite end of Key West. I thought it was great but I've never been to the Bahamas or Turks & Caicos! There are all kinds of snorkeling charters all through the keys, though, and glass bottom boat tours.

Three words: sharks sharks sharks!

No no no!

• Like 1

A shot of my final day at Snowbasin, which turned out to be a beautiful bluebird day!

XHYDMYK.jpg

Incidentally, Snowbasin is TRF's workingcinderellaman's home hill, so he came and spent the day with me and my buddy Gary, who drove our from Reno to meet me there. WCM's on the viewer's right, Gary on the left...

H7gqOeH.jpg

• Like 2

Loved the museum at Hill the year we lived in Utah. The jets and planes are fascinating up close. Your tax dollars at work! My kids fell in love with the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane that was based at Hill at the time. I believe we still own several decks of SR-71 playing cards. If they still have a Blackbird, tell it I said hi !

Here's a shot of the exterior of the Hill AFB Air Museum...

KEcZuG8.jpg

And a sample of the inside...

y8AN8zk.jpg

• Like 3

KEcZuG8.jpg

y8AN8zk.jpg

Cool! Thanks; it's sweet to see these. The mountains in the back are very scenic too!

• Like 1

No no no!

You're almost infinitely more likely to fall in your bathtub and break your head than you are to have a negative encounter with a shark. As for snorkeling, I highly recommend Hawai'i. The water is always warm, is very clear the vast majority of the time, and has lots of wildlife to see. Plus, when you're done for the day, you're in Hawai'i and not Florida.

• Like 1

KEcZuG8.jpg

y8AN8zk.jpg

Nice! Da slopes also sounded like a nice time.

I gotta do the Hill AFB Air Show again this year. It's been nearly five now.

• Like 1

No no no!

You're almost infinitely more likely to fall in your bathtub and break your head than you are to have a negative encounter with a shark. As for snorkeling, I highly recommend Hawai'i. The water is always warm, is very clear the vast majority of the time, and has lots of wildlife to see. Plus, when you're done for the day, you're in Hawai'i and not Florida.

A bathtub will not eat you ‘til you die.

Or compact your guts up into your mouth with the unbelievable force of their bite.

Or rend a limb off of you leaving you to die of shock as it slowly circles, waiting for you to bleed out.

Hawai’i is made of sharks.

Florida is made of dreams!

Edited by vaportrailer

No no no!

Or compact your guts up into your mouth with the unbelievable force of their bite.

Or rend a limb off of you leaving you to die of shock as it slowly circles, waiting for you to bleed out.

I've snorkeled on Oahu and the Big Island for many hours and have seen absolutely ZERO sharks. If you think Florida is made of dreams, you're living in your own fantasy world.

No no no!

I've snorkeled on Oahu and the Big Island for many hours and have seen absolutely ZERO sharks. If you think Florida is made of dreams, you're living in your own fantasy world.

vt is always about as serious as a Cambodian police officer trying catch a reefer addict. That’s why he’s currently vacationing in Cambodia! ;)

• Like 1

No no no!

Like Satan, I am the father of lies.

Like Santa, I am jolly and good-natured, with an interest in cookies.

I thought America was the land of dreams, so wouldn’t that make Florida at least the wang of American dreams?

There are over 350 species of shark, although only a dozen or so have had “negative interactions” with humans.

They’re out there’s though...waiting.

Just remember what happened to Quint. Guts all compacted, blood coming out of his everywhere. :yes:

It happened to me once, and it shan’t happen again! :no:

Father O’Lies

• Like 1

In Kampot right now, a small town very near Cambodia’s coast.

It’s very quiet and peaceful here, despite lots of leathery expats and dumb little bars. Lots of happy pizza joints here, at least a dozen!

Had a puff in the restaurant last night as I watched the sun set over the river. Then had a happy shake to go. Yesssssss.

Cool little market just up from where I’m staying but it’s roof is about 6 inches shorter than I am, and I don’t need the backache!

Might do a sunset river trip this evening. Very pleasant town for walking or bicycling, despite the heat.

Off to the northwest tomorrow, staying in a small city called Battambang for a few nights. Should be even quieter up there, with plenty of sweaty walks in the forecast.

• Like 2

In Kampot right now, a small town very near Cambodia’s coast.

It’s very quiet and peaceful here, despite lots of leathery expats and dumb little bars. Lots of happy pizza joints here, at least a dozen!

Had a puff in the restaurant last night as I watched the sun set over the river. Then had a happy shake to go. Yesssssss.

Cool little market just up from where I’m staying but it’s roof is about 6 inches shorter than I am, and I don’t need the backache!

Might do a sunset river trip this evening. Very pleasant town for walking or bicycling, despite the heat.

Off to the northwest tomorrow, staying in a small city called Battambang for a few nights. Should be even quieter up there, with plenty of sweaty walks in the forecast.

The Killing Caves are near Battambang, yeah? I’ve never been to either but I know of it. Surely, it’d be a depressing site but possibly still worth a visit.

• Like 2

Update: the train was a novel and dignified way to get from downtown Montreal to downtown Toronto. Much better than the crappy one hour flights I've done between them. Seemed faster than driving, to boot.

and now in Toronto. Some special TRF happenings to be continued

• Like 4

The wife and I are planning Scotland for September. Anyone ever been? Got any tips?

We are going for 10 days and want to do a self driving tour. We have a rough itinerary laid out but I am looking for tips or info from anyone who has been there.

Man this was supposed to be my vacation this year. I'm envious. And will use the information others give you!

This past weekend I made a long-overdue trip to Eureka, NV. Eureka is a "living ghost town", with a population of around 500 right now. I lived there from 1987-1992, when there were about 750 people. It was my first teaching job, and we had 150 kids grades 7-12 where I taught. It was an experience that I treasure, and have wanted to return for a long time.

What got me to go back to Eureka is that the rhythm guitarist in my old band had asked me to rejoin the group for a gig at the Eureka Opera House. So last weekend was a 5-hour road trip trip with my old band as well as a family reunion of sorts for me and the people of Eureka. This map shows where Eureka is...right in the middle of the state. Reno is in the far west corner by Tahoe. Vegas in the southern tip. We took Hwy 50 from Carson to Fallon through Middlegate (too small for the map!) and Austin (another living ghost town), to Eureka.

http://www.yuccamountain.org/s-26.gif

• Like 2

Eureka, NV sits at +/- 6500 ft elevation. In the 1870's, it was known as the "Pittsburgh of the West" and had a population of over 10,000, with more than 80 bars...and 5 churches. The main source of revenue was lead mining, and today the main streets still have large black slag piles from processed ore. I used to hike and ski them in the winter.

Of all of Nevada's living ghost towns, Eureka is the best preserved. Here are some pics of main street, first of which shows the Jackson House and the Opera House (Friday night's band gig!)

98882567.jpg

The County Court House...

http://www.robertwynn.com/Photos02/Eureka06.png

Here's a view from the balcony of the Opera House...

http://www.co.eureka.nv.us/photo/eureka_opera01.jpg

...and a shot from behind my drums looking out from the stage...

AZ4WGaO.jpg?1

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Next stop on Eureka's main street is the iconic Owl Club, which was owned by my friend and Eureka legend Ron Carrion up until his passing a few years ago. His daughter Eleny, who I adore as my (unofficially) adopted little sister, has taken it over. The Owl Club is split into a restaurant, a bar, and a dance floor/pool hall section.

Here's the bar section...

http://visiteurekanevada.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Eureka-Nevada-Malarkeys.jpg

I was at the owl the night Ron brought this mountain back to the Owl from his hunt. He was so proud...it was a huge cat.

o.jpg

Here's my drums set up in front of the neon sign on the dance hall side...

wtqPTKv.jpg?1

• Like 2