Jump to content


Travel Thread

Where? Why? How? When?

  • Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#341 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4080 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:13 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 December 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 26 December 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

Sawasdee (hello) from Bangkok!
Haven't seen the Thailand Express, unless that's the Skytrain...

So far, so good! Great food, fun times.

On the layover, I was surprised by London and its garbage problem. Not sure if it's tourists who are the litterbugs or if it's just something that people there do, but the streets that I saw were quite crap-strewn I'm sad to report. Maybe it's a Christmas tradition?
Memories of London: gum, graffiti, and garbage!

A cool and rainy day here. Started the day with excellent bowl of Thai noodles, and ended with an excellent bowl of Japanese noodles.
Found a kick-ass book store and picked up a couple of things to read.

Very easy to get around here. I'm next door to the Skytrain, and only 5$ (Canadian) for a day pass.
No big plans for Bangkok other than find all sorts of deliciousness.

My, this is a disconnected post. I'm rambling. Must be time for sleep.
Zzzzz

Are you messaging from Patpong again you pervert?!

Is Smitty with you undecided at the prospects of an Ayutthaya day tour or his she-male comfort zone?

Get thee to Lumpinee Boxing Gym and perhaps you’ll see fat boy Segal and JCVD checking out a Muay Thai match and reminiscing on decades past fight glory.


Signed,

Mental Bully divided by half the circumference of 2112 squared

Weirdly enough, I thought of Smitty while in London.
Don't think I'll bother with tracking down S Seagal. He's probably sucking carrots at a Russian market.
I'm very much enjoying exploring the neighbourhood that I'm in (Bang Chak). So many cool little tree-lined streets and food-cart-lined alleyways!
Heading south tomorrow for sea, sand, and reggae bars! :P

Sponsored Post

#342 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4080 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

Happy New Year!
Landed in Jakarta last night, after a week of sea and sand and reggae bars in Koh Lanta.
Found a very secluded beach a few minutes from the hotel. Handful of tourists, no electricity, beautiful swimming, and a little place where you can order food and beer. Next to it was a tiny beach bar that had mojitos and weed on offer. I heartily accepted those offers!
Decent prices (for Lanta) and best of all, no reggae!
I don't mind reggae, but it can be monotonous and very limited in its timbres. One place at least played some dub. I'd rather sit and listen to the waves, but I guess I'm in the minority on that!
Right now there is a rebab (2 string transverse "fiddle") playing somewhere on the street below. It sounds beautiful and makes me want to get walking and check out more of Jakarta!
No plans for here other than make a few travel arrangements, eat some good food, and maybe go see some music this evening.

Blaze, you would've like Koh Lanta for its cocktails and other delights - especially the Muay Thai truck that drives around announcing upcoming matches and blasting Thai boxing music, which is pretty spicy stuff!


#343 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30625 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 06 January 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

Happy New Year!
Landed in Jakarta last night, after a week of sea and sand and reggae bars in Koh Lanta.
Found a very secluded beach a few minutes from the hotel. Handful of tourists, no electricity, beautiful swimming, and a little place where you can order food and beer. Next to it was a tiny beach bar that had mojitos and weed on offer. I heartily accepted those offers!
Decent prices (for Lanta) and best of all, no reggae!
I don't mind reggae, but it can be monotonous and very limited in its timbres. One place at least played some dub. I'd rather sit and listen to the waves, but I guess I'm in the minority on that!
Right now there is a rebab (2 string transverse "fiddle") playing somewhere on the street below. It sounds beautiful and makes me want to get walking and check out more of Jakarta!
No plans for here other than make a few travel arrangements, eat some good food, and maybe go see some music this evening.

Blaze, you would've like Koh Lanta for its cocktails and other delights - especially the Muay Thai truck that drives around announcing upcoming matches and blasting Thai boxing music, which is pretty spicy stuff!

Whenever I hear Muay Thai boxing music I start doing that little trance-like pre-fight dance (you know the one) and start kicking people in the ribs and shins.

What’s on your day trip plate today? Beach? Mind-altering happy milkshake? Happy Pizza?

#344 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4080 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 10 January 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 06 January 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

Happy New Year!
Landed in Jakarta last night, after a week of sea and sand and reggae bars in Koh Lanta.
Found a very secluded beach a few minutes from the hotel. Handful of tourists, no electricity, beautiful swimming, and a little place where you can order food and beer. Next to it was a tiny beach bar that had mojitos and weed on offer. I heartily accepted those offers!
Decent prices (for Lanta) and best of all, no reggae!
I don't mind reggae, but it can be monotonous and very limited in its timbres. One place at least played some dub. I'd rather sit and listen to the waves, but I guess I'm in the minority on that!
Right now there is a rebab (2 string transverse "fiddle") playing somewhere on the street below. It sounds beautiful and makes me want to get walking and check out more of Jakarta!
No plans for here other than make a few travel arrangements, eat some good food, and maybe go see some music this evening.

Blaze, you would've like Koh Lanta for its cocktails and other delights - especially the Muay Thai truck that drives around announcing upcoming matches and blasting Thai boxing music, which is pretty spicy stuff!

Whenever I hear Muay Thai boxing music I start doing that little trance-like pre-fight dance (you know the one) and start kicking people in the ribs and shins.

What’s on your day trip plate today? Beach? Mind-altering happy milkshake? Happy Pizza?

I'm being a good boy in Bandung, Indonesia right now. The beaches, etc. will have to wait a couple more weeks until I'm in Cambodia, and then look out! Happy everything! :lol:
I haven't seen another Caucasian in days now, and I absolutely love being a "stranger in a strange land". People here have been very friendly to me, which is humbling, heartening, and somewhat embarrassing, seeing as how foreigners are generally treated back home - with paranoia and suspicion.
Last night I had supper at a little place across from my hotel. I was invited to smoke Indonesian clove cigarettes and drink spiced coffee with a table of hilarious locals, talking about everything from music to religion to ghosts! Ended up hanging out with them for a couple of hours. As I was leaving, they stopped me and wanted a picture with me before I left, and invited me back in a few days. I smiled myself to sleep last night.
Right now all the mosques in the city are sounding, which is an amazing sound that gives a kind of depth to the city, almost like a sonic map, if that makes any sense. I'm sure some people would roll their eyes at it, but it just sounds so incredible, even as they fade away and are obscured by traffic and the sound of kids playing.
No plans for the next few days except for walking, reading, and eating delicious things!


#345 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30625 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:53 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 11 January 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 10 January 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 06 January 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

Happy New Year!
Landed in Jakarta last night, after a week of sea and sand and reggae bars in Koh Lanta.
Found a very secluded beach a few minutes from the hotel. Handful of tourists, no electricity, beautiful swimming, and a little place where you can order food and beer. Next to it was a tiny beach bar that had mojitos and weed on offer. I heartily accepted those offers!
Decent prices (for Lanta) and best of all, no reggae!
I don't mind reggae, but it can be monotonous and very limited in its timbres. One place at least played some dub. I'd rather sit and listen to the waves, but I guess I'm in the minority on that!
Right now there is a rebab (2 string transverse "fiddle") playing somewhere on the street below. It sounds beautiful and makes me want to get walking and check out more of Jakarta!
No plans for here other than make a few travel arrangements, eat some good food, and maybe go see some music this evening.

Blaze, you would've like Koh Lanta for its cocktails and other delights - especially the Muay Thai truck that drives around announcing upcoming matches and blasting Thai boxing music, which is pretty spicy stuff!

Whenever I hear Muay Thai boxing music I start doing that little trance-like pre-fight dance (you know the one) and start kicking people in the ribs and shins.

What’s on your day trip plate today? Beach? Mind-altering happy milkshake? Happy Pizza?

I'm being a good boy in Bandung, Indonesia right now. The beaches, etc. will have to wait a couple more weeks until I'm in Cambodia, and then look out! Happy everything! :lol:
I haven't seen another Caucasian in days now, and I absolutely love being a "stranger in a strange land". People here have been very friendly to me, which is humbling, heartening, and somewhat embarrassing, seeing as how foreigners are generally treated back home - with paranoia and suspicion.
Last night I had supper at a little place across from my hotel. I was invited to smoke Indonesian clove cigarettes and drink spiced coffee with a table of hilarious locals, talking about everything from music to religion to ghosts! Ended up hanging out with them for a couple of hours. As I was leaving, they stopped me and wanted a picture with me before I left, and invited me back in a few days. I smiled myself to sleep last night.
Right now all the mosques in the city are sounding, which is an amazing sound that gives a kind of depth to the city, almost like a sonic map, if that makes any sense. I'm sure some people would roll their eyes at it, but it just sounds so incredible, even as they fade away and are obscured by traffic and the sound of kids playing.
No plans for the next few days except for walking, reading, and eating delicious things!

Sounds like good stuff. I’d like to travel more in Indonesia in the future. (More of everywhere for that matter).


#346 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

    OrneryGRUMPYfan

  • Members *
  • 6778 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SE Michigan, Saline [suh-LEEN]
  • Interests:MUSIC, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, having fun.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

Sand crabs...
Posted Image

#347 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4080 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:32 AM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 13 January 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

Sand crabs...
Posted Image

ORfie, the Banana King of non-sequiturs! :cheers:

Um, land lice? Lake Lobsters? Ice oysters?
Those all sound like pirate swears.

Whale tears. :(

Have yet to eat any Indonesian crustaceans or other creatures of the sea, save two small fish and a delicious squid. No crabs yet, sandy or otherwise! :lol:

#348 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

    OrneryGRUMPYfan

  • Members *
  • 6778 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SE Michigan, Saline [suh-LEEN]
  • Interests:MUSIC, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, having fun.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 14 January 2018 - 02:32 AM, said:

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 13 January 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

Sand crabs...
Posted Image

ORfie, the Banana King of non-sequiturs! :cheers:

Um, land lice? Lake Lobsters? Ice oysters?
Those all sound like pirate swears.

Whale tears. :(

Have yet to eat any Indonesian crustaceans or other creatures of the sea, save two small fish and a delicious squid. No crabs yet, sandy or otherwise! :lol:

This is what my mind was picturing...or this is the picture I picked from the multitudes that came up from the Google...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by OldRUSHfan, 14 January 2018 - 09:39 AM.


#349 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4080 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:51 PM

What I did last night:

http://www.auralarch...ipelago/jaipong

And it was pretty much what the article said, including having my name woven into several songs!
Kick-ass drumming, excellent singing, and painted ladies galore. And very curious and friendly people.
Unforgettable!

Bandung is such a friendly place, despite the language barrier. I seem to have been adopted by a group of local ghost hunters. Not bad for an "Unidentified Foreign Oddball"!
Off to Sumatra in a couple of hours.

#350 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 54773 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

 vaportrailer, on 16 January 2018 - 11:51 PM, said:

What I did last night:

http://www.auralarch...ipelago/jaipong

And it was pretty much what the article said, including having my name woven into several songs!
Kick-ass drumming, excellent singing, and painted ladies galore. And very curious and friendly people.
Unforgettable!

Bandung is such a friendly place, despite the language barrier. I seem to have been adopted by a group of local ghost hunters. Not bad for an "Unidentified Foreign Oddball"!
Off to Sumatra in a couple of hours.
:ebert:

Sounds awesome!  I was invited to go to Colombia next month...reading your posts makes me think that really need to go!

#351 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4080 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

View Postgoose, on 17 January 2018 - 12:26 AM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 16 January 2018 - 11:51 PM, said:

What I did last night:

http://www.auralarch...ipelago/jaipong

And it was pretty much what the article said, including having my name woven into several songs!
Kick-ass drumming, excellent singing, and painted ladies galore. And very curious and friendly people.
Unforgettable!

Bandung is such a friendly place, despite the language barrier. I seem to have been adopted by a group of local ghost hunters. Not bad for an "Unidentified Foreign Oddball"!
Off to Sumatra in a couple of hours.
:ebert:

Sounds awesome!  I was invited to go to Colombia next month...reading your posts makes me think that really need to go!

Go Goose Go!
What have you got to lose, other than time and a few dollars?
Well, you might lose your lunch if you're not careful. I've lost mine a couple of times already, but the payoff is well worth it, and I've lost a few kilos. :P
If you have to, make a list of "why I should go, why I shouldn't go"; I'll bet that you'll have more reasons for than against.

Had a great 3 hour walk this morning. Picked a few streets on Google maps and off I went, sweating the entire time. English is barely spoken here, but my sputtering "good morning, how are you?", etc. gets a lot of smiles and thumbs up. One lady even blew me a kiss! :lol:

I absolutely love it when the facial expressions of "what the hell is this guy doing?", turn into a big radiant smile. And all from saying "good morning, how are you?", with a smile and a wave. I've had a few handshakes too!

Good travel quote:
"The farther one travels, the less one knows." - Lao Tzu




#352 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 54773 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

Really mulling over the Colombia trip.  I'll have lots of time to weigh the pro's (adventure!) and cons (kidnapping!) while i'm driving through Idaho, Wyoming and Utah.  Monday I leave on an eight-day ski trip where I'll visit Sun Valley, Jackson Hole and Snowbasin (where i'll meet up with workingcinderellaman).  

Sun Valley, ID:  https://www.sunvalley.com/maps-guides

Jackson Hole:  https://www.jacksonh...ain-winter.html

Snowbasin, UT:  https://www.snowbasi...ain/trail-maps/

#353 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

    OrneryGRUMPYfan

  • Members *
  • 6778 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SE Michigan, Saline [suh-LEEN]
  • Interests:MUSIC, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, having fun.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

"The Farther One Travels, the less one knows." -Lao Tzu
HEY! GEORGE HARRISON SAID THAT TOO!
Posted Image

Edited by OldRUSHfan, 18 January 2018 - 11:19 AM.


#354 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4080 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:03 PM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 18 January 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

"The Farther One Travels, the less one knows." -Lao Tzu
HEY! GEORGE HARRISON SAID THAT TOO!
Posted Image

Yeah! Damn good tune!





#355 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

    OrneryGRUMPYfan

  • Members *
  • 6778 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SE Michigan, Saline [suh-LEEN]
  • Interests:MUSIC, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, having fun.

Posted Yesterday, 09:42 AM

I miss George.
Posted Image

#356 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4080 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted Today, 05:58 AM

Tried a few new dishes here in South Sumatra, and so far so good!
Yesterday, had Pempek, which is a variety of fish dumplings served with delicious spicy soy sauce. I liked the fried version best. A few were stuffed with tofu, which was a nice change.
Today I had Martabak, like an Indian flatbread stuffed with egg or mutton and served with curry. Not a fan of the egg, but pretty good nonetheless. Both meals (with a drink) were around 2 dollars each.
Also had deep fried banana with coconut and chocolate drizzled on top. Yum!!!

Had a very nice conversation with a young guy who was very curious about the West (and wanting to practice English). Topics ranged from families to food to travel to drugs! Indonesia classifies all drugs as “narkoba”, so ganja is the same as heroin in the government’s eyes. Told him about research into cannabis oil and epilepsy, and how it helps cancer and AIDS patients, as well as those with chronic pain and PTSD. Then we talked about food some more!
Indonesia is quickly becoming a nanny state, which is sad, but none of my business. Alcohol is pretty much non-existent in this city, although available in a few other places but with a 150% tax on it, so prohibitively expensive for most Indonesians. But cigarettes are cheap and sold everywhere!

Got back to the hotel just before it began to pour. Stood on the balcony drinking coffee and smoking a clove cigarette, watching the city disappear, as a naked kid danced joyously in the rain, and a little dog ran over the rooftops barking at the sky.
Ahhhh...  :)

#357 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30625 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 09:34 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 20 January 2018 - 05:58 AM, said:

Had a very nice conversation with a young guy who was very curious about the West (and wanting to practice English). Topics ranged from families to food to travel to drugs! Indonesia classifies all drugs as “narkoba”, so ganja is the same as heroin in the government’s eyes. Told him about research into cannabis oil and epilepsy, and how it helps cancer and AIDS patients, as well as those with chronic pain and PTSD.

Last year there was a “big drug bust” up in Hokkaido. The news showed the interior of the villainous den and viewers could see a pretty extensive record album collection, some rasta posters and such imagery, and a MJ plant or two. That was about it. Seriously! :lol:
Adding to the comedy was the seriousness of the reporter’s voice coupled with the lengthy broadcast. :lol:

I suppose it could be much worse AND the polar opposite. That is, cops could raid a different crack house a few times a week but the general population just shrugs their shoulders and sighs “Jeez, again?!”




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users