Travel Thread

vaportrailer

Got tix to escape the Canadian winter.

Heading to Thailand again for fun and sun for 2 weeks.

Then this lucky little devil is heading to Indonesia (Java, Sumatra) for 3 weeks.

Followed by Cambodia for...2 months.

yay!

Where exactly you headed in those places?

What kind of place do you usually stay for extended trips like that?

Not venturing into 'Nam or Laos? If no, why not?! You've certainly got the time. (I've never hit Laos unfortunately)

Thailand: Bangkok, Ko Lanta

Indonesia: Jakarta, Bandung, Bandar Lampung, Palembang, maybe Medan.

Cambodia: mostly Phnom Penh, with a week somewhere else just to break things up. Oudong; Kampong Thom maybe. Maybe revisit Siem Reap.

South Laos would be cool. Might do that! My friends and I really enjoyed out time in Vietnam, especially in HCMC and the Mekong delta (Can Tho), so I guess that wouldn't be out of the question, although I expect to spend most of my Cambodian time in PP.

Vientiane is a nice little city right on the Mekong, with glorious sunsets, really good (and interesting!) food, and friendly people. You should try to get there JB; it's pretty amazing, as is Luang Prabang. Vang Vieng is a shithole, awash in sloppy drunk tourists and drugs. Good place to score opium or 'shrooms if you can stand being there. We stayed one night (had planned 3) and got out on the first bus we could find!

As far as hotels/rooms, I'm not terribly fussy. I've stayed in some super-nice rooms, and some super-funky ones. I tend to go for characterless high-rise hotels just because I like a balcony. Air/con, little fridge, wi-fi, and an in-room safe are also nice to have, but not impossible to go without. Sometimes there's only one place in town, so you gotta be flexible and not too concerned about a little extra dirt/grime/bugs etc.

I'll be staying in a range of places this time, and will look into a short-term apt or AirBnb in PP.

I've shared my room with mosquitoes, lizards, a praying mantis, spiders of all shapes and sizes, and have seen rats on occasion.

Still, the worst place I've ever stayed was in Toronto! :LOL:

Unfortunately due to the time requirements, Asia will have to wait until I retire.

It's on my list though.

Be careful with that. We're all running out of time.

I know. I will not get to visit every place that I want to visit. I don't have that much longer. But I cannot at this time, free up enough time in succession to make a trip like that. Hopefully I will find a way before I perish.

To wait for one massive trip to Asia 20-30 years later might not be best IMHO. I think it's possible to make several 1-2 week trips every few years and see much, if not most of Asia even when embarking from the USA. From my angle and like you, I'm unable to take extended trips a la vaportrailer. My trips are always just 1-2 weekers due to my allowable vacation time & money. However, in the last 10 years I've still managed to get to the USA 6 times (with a 7th next month, hurray). 4 of those 6 times were to Florida due to family so it's basically as far as possible for me.

On a side note and as far as American expats here go, I probably travel back to the states more often than anyone I know...and there's still a lot I miss out on of course.

P.S. vaportrailer, I hope you appreciated some of the numberage in my post.

And now I just remembered that my frequent flyer card should have enough free mileage racked up to take a pretty decent length voyage - Europe? Will have to check. Ah, I said 'voyage'. I feel like Sinbad now. The pirate adventurer, not the comedian.

:blaze:

It's too far for me to fly for a seven day vacation 4 of which are lost on travel. My job will not allow me to take those kind of extended vacations. I don't live in Europe!

I also don't have 20-30 years. I probably never will see Asia. I am starting to accept the fact that I likely will not get to see many of the places on my bucket list.

I recently came to that conclusion. Time and money are factors...mostly money now that I'm retired and the wife is soon to be. But if I'm going on a long trip, it's likely back to Europe to see family and friends. I can't see taking wifey to Asia.

I have the money just not the time. Essentially I am setting my wife up to retire comfortably after I have my coronary in 7 or 8 years.
  • Like 1

Then this lucky little devil is heading to Indonesia (Java, Sumatra) for 3 weeks.

yay!

Not venturing into 'Nam or Laos? If no, why not?! You've certainly got the time. (I've never hit Laos unfortunately)

Cambodia: mostly Phnom Penh, with a week somewhere else just to break things up. Oudong; Kampong Thom maybe. Maybe revisit Siem Reap.

South Laos would be cool. Might do that! My friends and I really enjoyed out time in Vietnam, especially in HCMC and the Mekong delta (Can Tho), so I guess that wouldn't be out of the question, although I expect to spend most of my Cambodian time in PP.

Vientiane is a nice little city right on the Mekong, with glorious sunsets, really good (and interesting!) food, and friendly people. You should try to get there JB; it's pretty amazing, as is Luang Prabang. Vang Vieng is a shithole, awash in sloppy drunk tourists and drugs. Good place to score opium or 'shrooms if you can stand being there. We stayed one night (had planned 3) and got out on the first bus we could find!

As far as hotels/rooms, I'm not terribly fussy. I've stayed in some super-nice rooms, and some super-funky ones. I tend to go for characterless high-rise hotels just because I like a balcony. Air/con, little fridge, wi-fi, and an in-room safe are also nice to have, but not impossible to go without. Sometimes there's only one place in town, so you gotta be flexible and not too concerned about a little extra dirt/grime/bugs etc.

I'll be staying in a range of places this time, and will look into a short-term apt or AirBnb in PP.

I've shared my room with mosquitoes, lizards, a praying mantis, spiders of all shapes and sizes, and have seen rats on occasion.

Unfortunately due to the time requirements, Asia will have to wait until I retire.

It's on my list though.

I know. I will not get to visit every place that I want to visit. I don't have that much longer. But I cannot at this time, free up enough time in succession to make a trip like that. Hopefully I will find a way before I perish.

To wait for one massive trip to Asia 20-30 years later might not be best IMHO. I think it's possible to make several 1-2 week trips every few years and see much, if not most of Asia even when embarking from the USA. From my angle and like you, I'm unable to take extended trips a la vaportrailer. My trips are always just 1-2 weekers due to my allowable vacation time & money. However, in the last 10 years I've still managed to get to the USA 6 times (with a 7th next month, hurray). 4 of those 6 times were to Florida due to family so it's basically as far as possible for me.

On a side note and as far as American expats here go, I probably travel back to the states more often than anyone I know...and there's still a lot I miss out on of course.

And now I just remembered that my frequent flyer card should have enough free mileage racked up to take a pretty decent length voyage - Europe? Will have to check. Ah, I said 'voyage'. I feel like Sinbad now. The pirate adventurer, not the comedian.

It's too far for me to fly for a seven day vacation 4 of which are lost on travel. My job will not allow me to take those kind of extended vacations. I don't live in Europe!

I also don't have 20-30 years. I probably never will see Asia. I am starting to accept the fact that I likely will not get to see many of the places on my bucket list.

"I don't live in Europe"...??

Somehow I thought you were in your early 40s or late 30s hence my 20-30 year 'til your retirement thought. My bad.

But I don't understand the "4 days out of 7 lost on travel" idea. I don't like flying to the USA for just a week but that's all I have to work with sometimes. But 4 days lost? How?

Here's what my trip next month is, and it's often what Mrs.B & I do...leave Japan Saturday morning, arrive in Florida same day Saturday afternoon (the benefit of time zones). Leave the following Saturday (which means 7 nights stateside) and arrive back in Japan Sunday night (the negatives of time zones). But I'm not seeing where the missing 4 days are. ??

• Like 1

yay!

It's on my list though.

Somehow I thought you were in your early 40s or late 30s hence my 20-30 year 'til your retirement thought. My bad.

But I don't understand the "4 days out of 7 lost on travel" idea. I don't like flying to the USA for just a week but that's all I have to work with sometimes. But 4 days lost? How?

Here's what my trip next month is, and it's often what Mrs.B & I do...leave Japan Saturday morning, arrive in Florida same day Saturday afternoon (the benefit of time zones). Leave the following Saturday (which means 7 nights stateside) and arrive back in Japan Sunday night (the negatives of time zones). But I'm not seeing where the missing 4 days are. ??

My European colleagues get like 3 weeks vacation every quarter it seems. I don't get that much and I am not allowed to take it all in succession like they do. I also have to keep my phone on me and be ready to work if need be which they also don't have to do. I also have to get work done which they never seem to do. But I digress.

I am not that old but I am not in good health. I doubt I live to see retirement. I am simply setting my wife up to be comfortable when I am gone.

Its like 22 hour flight one way. That is a whole day on a plane with no sleep. It will take me a day to even semi recover from that and then 3 days later i have to do it again to get back. That kind of hectic travel kind kills the whole idea of a relaxing vacation. It's not worth it to me. If you are someone who can handle that kind of schedule and not mind it then good for you. But that isn't me.

• Like 1

yay!

It's on my list though.

My European colleagues get like 3 weeks vacation every quarter it seems. I don't get that much and I am not allowed to take it all in succession like they do. I also have to keep my phone on me and be ready to work if need be which they also don't have to do. I also have to get work done which they never seem to do. But I digress.

I am not that old but I am not in good health. I doubt I live to see retirement. I am simply setting my wife up to be comfortable when I am gone.

Its like 22 hour flight one way. That is a whole day on a plane with no sleep. It will take me a day to even semi recover from that and then 3 days later i have to do it again to get back. That kind of hectic travel kind kills the whole idea of a relaxing vacation. It's not worth it to me. If you are someone who can handle that kind of schedule and not mind it then good for you. But that isn't me.

I see.

And yeah, I know all too well about the Asia/North American flights being 20+ hours. It's usually 24-25 hours for the flights I take.

In regards to your European colleagues (and it may seem like digressing)...Europeans traditionally get more vacation time than U.S. peeps. Even 3 weeks for your European colleagues isn't really much compared to most Europeans who I've known. Seems like I've always heard 4-6 weeks vacation time for them. Ah well, I've never been in that fortunate situation myself.

yay!

It's on my list though.

I see.

And yeah, I know all too well about the Asia/North American flights being 20+ hours. It's usually 24-25 hours for the flights I take.

In regards to your European colleagues (and it may seem like digressing)...Europeans traditionally get more vacation time than U.S. peeps. Even 3 weeks for your European colleagues isn't really much compared to most Europeans who I've known. Seems like I've always heard 4-6 weeks vacation time for them. Ah well, I've never been in that fortunate situation myself.

They get a total of like 12 weeks a year. Plus some ridiculous paid sick leave. Guys go out on sick leave for a month with the flu. When they go on vacation they disappear for 3 weeks at a time and they do that several times a year.

I get 26 days but can't take more than 5 working days in a row and I always have to be reachable.

• Like 1

yay!

It's on my list though.

I see.

They get a total of like 12 weeks a year. Plus some ridiculous paid sick leave. Guys go out on sick leave for a month with the flu. When they go on vacation they disappear for 3 weeks at a time and they do that several times a year.

I get 26 days but can't take more than 5 working days in a row and I always have to be reachable.

I actually meant to type 6-8 weeks but yeah you already know that it's a ton compared to most Yanks.

I forgot Tuco's line in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly that goes something like:

"If you work for a living, why do you work so hard at dying"...damn, can't remember it at the moment. Anyway...

Well that sucks many different varieties of balls.

I hope they are paying you well for their impact/footprint on your life!

And I hope you can swear at them if they ever piss you off. F*ckers. :LOL:

Re: flights to Asia etc

Due to the weirdness of timezones, you lose a day going there (you leave Sat morning and 20+ hours later you're there Sun pm).

Conversely (no, not the shoes) your 20+hour flight home leaves and arrives miraculously the SAME DAY! I leave PP say 11:30am, fly to Hong Kong (3 hour wait) then to Vancouver (12 hour flight plus 5 hour wait), 5 hour flight to TO and then final hour home, arriving around midnight the same calendar day.

Hurts my head thinking about it. I'm sure The Mathemagician will come to our aid if necessary.

Jet-lag doesn't really bother me going there - it tends to get me up around sunrise, which is fun as you get to see the city/town/wherever-you-are wake up and begin the day - but coming back takes a while to get used to. Melatonin can help. And coffee. Lots of coffee.

Yeah I've heard a lot of great things about Laos and though I've managed to hit up Cambodia once and 'Nam three times, I just kept missing out on it. I always felt I needed more vacation time for it (getting there and Vientiane's surrounding areas) than I always had...Those Cambodia and 'Nam trips were always a mere 1-2 weeks. Given just 1-2 weeks vacation time, Laos needs to be a trip unto itself.

We were only in Laos for little over a week and just went to 3 places, but enjoyed ourselves immensely.

I'd definitely go back to Vientiane and would like to see the south. Laos is a very relaxed and mellow place.

Old racist saying attributed to French colonials:

The Vietnamese plant the rice.

The Cambodians watch it grow.

The Laotians listen to it grow.

If you haven't been to northeast Thailand, Bangkok-northeast Thailand-Vientiane would be a fun route to start a trip to Laos. It's fascinating to see the country, culture, food, and people change as you head further north.

JB, you truly are the Sinbad of Numberology. Or is that Numeralism? I'm no expert. :(

Yeah, I've been very lucky to take my extended breaks. I get 5 weeks of leave per year and there were a few years where I didn't really go anywhere, so I banked my vacation leave, which made for a couple of longer visits.

Last year I did "leave with income averaging" which means that you can take 5-12 weeks off twice a year, with supervisor's permission, and not be paid but have your pay averaged out over the year so that you make a little less every cheque, but is easier on the finances.

This year I'm taking 3 months of leave without pay (supervisor approved), and I know I'm very, very lucky to be able to do this.

F*ck it. Life's too short/uncertain to dick around. There are things I really want to do before my time on this funny little planet is over.

And apparently posting a bunch of crap on TRF is at the top of today's list! :LOL:

• Like 1

The local PBS station is teaming up with AAA to sponsor a tour in September of '18 from Seattle to Calgary that includes 2 days on the Rocky Mountaineer train. Looks interesting, but we're talking from $4,600 pp.
  • Like 1

The local PBS station is teaming up with AAA to sponsor a tour in September of '18 from Seattle to Calgary that includes 2 days on the Rocky Mountaineer train. Looks interesting, but we're talking from $4,600 pp.

Ouch! Why so steep? Does it go on for a month? Or maybe it's the shark-fin soup and gold-leaf pizza? :huh:

Sad to see all those with situations not allowing them extended travel in their lifetimes. I would hope that where there's a will, there is indeed a way. Sometimes it's possible to prioritize the travel.

I'm planning on Canada and Scotland next year. And generally traveling my whole life. That will cost me a big house, probably, which I don't mind. Less excessive material possessions, more experience.

Your travels have shown me that real people that aren't Neil Peart can make extensive world touring possible, vaportrailer. Thanks for that.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

Sad to see all those with situations not allowing them extended travel in their lifetimes. I would hope that where there's a will, there is indeed a way. Sometimes it's possible to prioritize the travel.

I'm planning on Canada and Scotland next year. And generally traveling my whole life. That will cost me a big house, probably, which I don't mind. Less excessive material possessions, more experience.

Your travels have shown me that real people that aren't Neil Peart can make extensive world touring possible, vaportrailer. Thanks for that.

Aww! :cheers: Thanks for the nice words, TOG. I just wanna see stuff!

As I've mentioned before, I got hooked on travel fairly late - I was almost 30 before I'd ever been west of Winnipeg, which was a trip to Japan and Thailand that blew my mind wide open. So maybe I'm trying to make up for lost time!

The world is a great big place, and my time here is short and there are so many things to see, hear, eat, get sick from...:P

As for a house etc, I'm sure it can be done, if that's what you want. Pets, especially dogs, can be hard to leave behind for extended periods of time.

I like your travel vs material possessions argument. I agree wholeheartedly!

Best of luck with your plans, and have fun planning! If you're ever in the Ottawa area, I'll smoke you up! :smoke: :LOL:

That does look like a beautiful train! Mr. blues went as far as having them send us a catalog. The trips are awesome but as you said, the prices are steep. Still looks like fun if you hit the lottery or something; it was fun to window shop. The catalog was kind of funny because they have Sasquatches photoshopped into some of the photos of the scenery- "what you will see from our train" !

Edited by blueschica

As I've mentioned before, I got hooked on travel fairly late - I was almost 30 before I'd ever been west of Winnipeg, which was a trip to Japan and Thailand that blew my mind wide open. So maybe I'm trying to make up for lost time!

The world is a great big place, and my time here is short and there are so many things to see, hear, eat, get sick from...:P

As for a house etc, I'm sure it can be done, if that's what you want. Pets, especially dogs, can be hard to leave behind for extended periods of time.

Best of luck with your plans, and have fun planning! If you're ever in the Ottawa area, I'll smoke you up! :smoke: :LOL:

While I'm not interested in pot, it's actually likely I'll be in Ottawa unrelated next year :LOL: :cheers:

• Like 1

The world is a great big place, and my time here is short and there are so many things to see, hear, eat, get sick from... :P

While I'm not interested in pot, it's actually likely I'll be in Ottawa unrelated next year :LOL: :cheers:

Okay, magic mushrooms it is! :P

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/100000/Psychedelic-Canadian-Flag-100176.jpg

Most of the traveling Karen (Mrs. Bear) and I did was years ago when we had the luxury of two incomes, and we had some great trips, mostly in the Western US with an emphasis on the national parks. Now we're trying to figure out how to make do on pensions. Good luck with that. Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

11 places in the world that are illegal to visit:

http://theculturetri...017illegalvisit

The "White Gentleman's Club" = albino sausage fest with racist/sexist overtones.

Shouldn't be "illegal" but should be ignored and forgotten about as quickly as possible.

I'd much rather belong to the "Everybody's Welcome to Come In and Have a Good Time Just Don't Be An Arsehole Club". Kinda like TRF! :)

CcKhhjpVIAEy2SP.jpg

Albino sausages for all!

i learned that travelling alone is so damn nice, all you gotta worry about is yourself and your own belongings. the first grown up thing i did was fly by myself to canada to attend rushcon. i met up with my (then) boyfriend and another long time internet friend and i met lots of cool people who i'm still friends with. it was so weird to arrive in my hotel room, set all my shit down, and say "holy f**k... im in canada!" and my hotel was right next to tim horton's which was convenient.

toronto was awesome, 10/10 would definitely go back. if you're planning on visiting downtown toronto but don't wanna stay at a ridiculously-priced downtown hotel: the woodbine hotel is about 15-20 mins outside of the downtown area. one downside of that hotel is that the free breakfast sucks, but what else can you expect from a free breakfast?

• Like 3