Travel Thread

vaportrailer

Here's what comes up on a search of Sihanoukville...

ph-sihanoukville-cambodia.jpg

http://karunacambodia.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Sihanoukville-1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DF9gmU3.jpg

Keep your trunks on!

I blame the happy shake! That beach looked pretty hot with green goggles on.

Passed this sign on the drive today (I have no idea what it means. It was on a factory.):

M's PIG : genetic can trust

:LOL:

I bet it's a pig factory/farm where they raise them. The "genetic can trust" I bet is in reference to raising the best pigs for quality meat.

All I can say is that since I see and hear a lot of Japanese English, I've learned to guess from very little or more often odd wordage :LOL:

One of my favorite sentences that one of my past (adult) students of English said to me years ago was this:

"10 years ago my wife was 50 kilograms. Now she's DANGEROUS!"

What he meant was...

10 years ago my wife was cute, just 50 kg. But now she's much heavier. :LOL:

Learning another language isn't easy but it certainly can be fun at times.

That student and I laughed together when I told him "a more natural way" to say what he really wanted [in the spoiler tag]

:cheers: Good guess re:pigs, but it was in an area where there were a lot of garment factories, so I'm thinking that the "G" in PIG would be for "garment"... Pochentong Industrial Garments? Also looked more industrial than agricultural. I have an eye for swine, I've been told.

Re:English in Japan, I have a friend who teaches just north of Tokyo. He's shared a few good ones with me. The only one that I can remember is:

"In elevator, silent gas from my hip. Spicy and juicy na smell." Not sure if the "na" was a typo, but it burned itself into the fabric of my being.

Just came back from other smoking bar in PP. Bought two 2$ "cannons", smoked 'em both then and there and got a tuktuk back to hotel where i smoked one that worked.

Oh yeah, had another Tuktuk tour in Sihanoukville (pants on) and the driver was playing some very hardcore gangsta rap. Lots of "n" and "f" bombs going off, which attracted a lot of attention, much to my chagrin.

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 1

Passed this sign on the drive today (I have no idea what it means. It was on a factory.):

I bet it's a pig factory/farm where they raise them. The "genetic can trust" I bet is in reference to raising the best pigs for quality meat.

All I can say is that since I see and hear a lot of Japanese English, I've learned to guess from very little or more often odd wordage :LOL:

One of my favorite sentences that one of my past (adult) students of English said to me years ago was this:

What he meant was...

That student and I laughed together when I told him "a more natural way" to say what he really wanted [in the spoiler tag]

Good guess re:pigs, but it was in an area where there were a lot of garment factories, so I'm thinking that the "G" in PIG would be for "garment". Pochentong Industrial Garments? Also looked more industrial than agricultural.

Re:English on Japan, I have a friend who teaches just north of Tokyo. He's shared a few good ones with me. The only one that I can remember is:

"In elevator, silent gas from my hip. Spicy and juicy na smell." Not sure if the "na" was a typo, but it burned itself into the fabric of my being.

Ah yes, "hip" is very often incorrectly used and intended to be "butt".

"na" is probably a typo. It could be the Japanese "na" as in "right?/yeah?" but it doesn't fit in the sentence there.

• Like 1

Here's what comes up on a search of Sihanoukville...

ph-sihanoukville-cambodia.jpg

http://karunacambodia.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Sihanoukville-1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DF9gmU3.jpg

Keep your trunks on!

I wonder why vaportrailer was lying on his stomach, naked, and tied up on the beach. :unsure:

I tell ya, it made perfect sense at the time. Almost mathematical.

• Like 1

What he meant was...

Good guess re:pigs, but it was in an area where there were a lot of garment factories, so I'm thinking that the "G" in PIG would be for "garment". Pochentong Industrial Garments? Also looked more industrial than agricultural.

Re:English on Japan, I have a friend who teaches just north of Tokyo. He's shared a few good ones with me. The only one that I can remember is:

Ah yes, "hip" is very often incorrectly used and intended to be "butt".

"na" is probably a typo. It could be the Japanese "na" as in "right?/yeah?" but it doesn't fit in the sentence there.

The HipHole Surfers

The Tragically Butt

I like this incorrectitude, na?

• Like 2

What he meant was...

:cheers: Good guess re:pigs, but it was in an area where there were a lot of garment factories, so I'm thinking that the "G" in PIG would be for "garment"... Pochentong Industrial Garments? Also looked more industrial than agricultural. I have an eye for swine, I've been told.

Re:English in Japan, I have a friend who teaches just north of Tokyo. He's shared a few good ones with me. The only one that I can remember is:

Just came back from other smoking bar in PP. Bought two 2$ "cannons", smoked 'em both then and there and got a tuktuk back to hotel where i smoked one that worked.

Oh yeah, had another Tuktuk tour in Sihanoukville (pants on) and the driver was playing some very hardcore gangsta rap. Lots of "n" and "f" bombs going off, which attracted a lot of attention, much to my chagrin.

For what it's worth, found this in a quick search:

http://opendevelopmentcambodia.net/tag/ms-pig-acmc-cambodia-co-ltd/

There's a restaurant very near my place that plays some gangsta rap with all the "n", "f", "suckin' on (x)", etc. attention getting lyrics outside their front door. The funniest bit is that it's a regular restaurant that has young families, old couples, couples on dates, and every other kind of patron you can imagine. Surely, the restaurant has no idea what the lyrics actually mean. Someone walking by hears that music and just thinks "kakkoi" ((cool)) but not actually know what's being said. Image.

This is usual here.

• Like 1

Today, saw a sign that proclaimed "Kaksekar", then was nearly hit by a minivan with "UNT" painted on it.

Had another street haircut. 2$, and I'm looking bee-yew-tee-full! Gonna show off my new look at some scummy dive tonight, followed by happy shake and tuktuk tour.

A Khmer woman with astounding breasts is lip synching about heartbreak on tv right now. Gotta go.

• Like 2

Today, saw a sign that proclaimed "Kaksekar", then was nearly hit by a minivan with "UNT" painted on it.

Had another street haircut. 2$, and I'm looking bee-yew-tee-full! Gonna show off my new look at some scummy dive tonight, followed by happy shake and tuktuk tour.

A Khmer woman with astounding breasts is lip synching about heartbreak on tv right now. Gotta go.

Sounds great!! ...the astounding breasts that is. :LOL:

Try these out:

1) Who was the first person you spoke to today and what did you say?

2) What would you like to do today (wherever you are) that you haven't done there already?

[i'm not looking for an answer like "banging (x)" or anything like that...you've probably already done that anyway] :P

3) Before you first went to Cambodia, was it one of those lifelong bucket list type places for you?

For me it wasn't. I read about it long after I was already interested in traveling. Then, it was something like "Oh, that sounds like an interesting place. I think I'll go there." Cambodia is the MOST "pleasant surprise" place I've ever visited. :yes:

• Like 1

Goddamn, time flies like a winged monkey, and with just as much sense and foresight.

Less than a week until the end of this little adventure. Crying in my pants right now.

Got a pocketful of tears, a trailer full of vapour, and a gut full of Khmer food. Life is strange sometimes. All times.

• Like 1

Goddamn, time flies like a winged monkey, and with just as much sense and foresight.

Less than a week until the end of this little adventure. Crying in my pants right now.

Got a pocketful of tears, a trailer full of vapour, and a gut full of Khmer food. Life is strange sometimes. All times.

Yeah, it was always hard to face the last days of any SE Asia adventure I've had. Every time I thought "Man, I could use just a few more days. Just a few."

• Like 1

Sounds great!! ...the astounding breasts that is. :LOL:

Try these out:

1) Who was the first person you spoke to today and what did you say?

2) What would you like to do today (wherever you are) that you haven't done there already?

[i'm not looking for an answer like "banging (x)" or anything like that...you've probably already done that anyway] :P

3) Before you first went to Cambodia, was it one of those lifelong bucket list type places for you?

For me it wasn't. I read about it long after I was already interested in traveling. Then, it was something like "Oh, that sounds like an interesting place. I think I'll go there." Cambodia is the MOST "pleasant surprise" place I've ever visited. :yes:

Dammit Blaze, if and when I come back here, we're going to have a happy pizza party. Just try not to use your mind control or mental bullying powers on me. I'm sensitive.

1. Two of the nice front desk people. I said "good morning, how are you?" And "have a nice day, see you later." They smiled and told me to get the $&@& out of the hotel.

2. After all the time I've spent here, I've pretty much done the major stuff that I was interested in. That being said, I like seeing new streets that I haven't wandered down before, finding new restaurants or stalls to try, and I still want to hit another smoking bar. My needs are as simple as I am. Today my plan was to write, eat some Khmer food, get some pants hemmed, and go for a nice long walk. Pants plan did not come to fruition, walk will happen tonight. Life is good.

3. The only "bucket list" places I wanted to visit were Japan, Myanmar, and Java Indonesia. I've been to all but Myanmar, so I've been very lucky. Cambodia was part of a Vietnam-Laos trip, and I enjoyed it enough to want to visit it again, and when I did, I totally fell in love with the damn place. So yes, an incredibly pleasant surprise.

Okay, now questions for you. Or whoever wants to answer them:

1. If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be and what would you be doing/eating/drinking?

2. Is there any place that you're not interested/profoundly disinterested in seeing? Why?

3. Do you own any maps? Of where?

Bonus question: how many roads must a man, woman, etc, walk down before they call him a man, woman, etc?

I'll say at least six.

Yeah, it was always hard to face the last days of any SE Asia adventure I've had. Every time I thought "Man, I could use just a few more days. Just a few."

A friend of mine has what he calls "last day syndrome", when you're all mopey and dopey about having to return to normal life and it's your last day and what the hell are you going to do but drink and drink and drink...oops, channeling bad Kerouac again.

• Like 2

A friend of mine has what he calls "last day syndrome", when you're all mopey and dopey about having to return to normal life and it's your last day and what the hell are you going to do but drink and drink and drink...oops, channeling bad Kerouac again.

I know that mopey dopey drink drink til the end mood.

THIS pic was taken about an hour before we got into our afternoon cab to the airport and back to reality.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Beer%20and%20Loathing%20in%20Saigon/karaokeandnam332.jpg

We don't look too mopey in the pic but yeah we weren't feeling good about leaving.

Come to think of it, this was almost exactly 10 years ago to the day...that Siem Reap/Phnom Penh/Saigon trip of 2007 ((pics from that same trip are in this thread too))

• Like 1

Okay, now questions for you. Or whoever wants to answer them:

1. If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be and what would you be doing/eating/drinking?

2. Is there any place that you're not interested/profoundly disinterested in seeing? Why?

3. Do you own any maps? Of where?

Bonus question: how many roads must a man, woman, etc, walk down before they call him a man, woman, etc?

I'll say at least six.

1. Western coast of Italy (Cinque Terre area). I'd be with Mrs. B enjoying the seaside view, eating fresh oysters, and drinking whatever wine crosses her mind at the time. (I'll drink virtually anything put in front of me).

2. Guam. I'm sure there are some great views and relaxing beaches there but I think there are better views and beaches to be had somewhere else. Flight & hotel package deals from here are pretty cheap (under $500-600) so it's not like price is an issue.

3. I have some maps but most of them are in the guidebooks that I have for specific countries.

Bonus question answer:

The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind. And that's the truth.

• Like 1

THIS pic was taken about an hour before we got into our afternoon cab to the airport and back to reality.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Beer%20and%20Loathing%20in%20Saigon/karaokeandnam332.jpg

We don't look too mopey in the pic but yeah we weren't feeling good about leaving.

Come to think of it, this was almost exactly 10 years ago to the day...that Siem Reap/Phnom Penh/Saigon trip of 2007 ((pics from that same trip are in this thread too))

You look like you're having fun with that neo-nazi! You have disparate friends. Mine are desperate.

• Like 1

You look like you're having fun with that neo-nazi! You have disparate friends. Mine are desperate.

The guy who took the pic, "AngryDaveIrish" was once a member of the IRA.

The guy sitting next to me is the guy (who i also mentioned earlier in this thread) can be a bit surly with too much drink. He's also the same guy who the Saigon cabbie threatened to kill a few days earlier in the trip.

And then there's me with my mental bullying and mind control mathemawizardry. Wooly bully 2x2 wooly bully :smoke:

• Like 1

This thread makes me miss things too much. That's the downside.

The upside is much greater though. It helps me remember.

Kuala Lumpur was THE very first place I visited in mainland Asia. That was 2003.

Here are a few images from that time...

Batu Caves outside of KL

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Malaysia/DH000001.jpg

A little jungle hike

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Malaysia/DH000012.jpg

Hey vt, here's that IRA pal of mine who I mentioned earlier. He doesn't look too menacing here but don't let that fool you, he's dangerous.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Malaysia/DH000024.jpg

Petronas. The picture doesn't do this justice. I swear we sat under there for about an hour just looking at it. We weren't the only ones of course.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Malaysia/DH000008.jpg

• Like 2

The guy sitting next to me is the guy (who i also mentioned earlier in this thread) can be a bit surly with too much drink. He's also the same guy who the Saigon cabbie threatened to kill a few days earlier in the trip.

And then there's me with my mental bullying and mind control mathemawizardry. Wooly bully 2x2 wooly bully :smoke:

Are you drinking a White Russian? You madman!

Kuala Lumpur was THE very first place I visited in mainland Asia. That was 2003.

Batu Caves outside of KL

A little jungle hike

Hey vt, here's that IRA pal of mine who I mentioned earlier. He doesn't look too menacing here but don't let that fool you, he's dangerous.

Petronas. The picture doesn't do this justice. I swear we sat under there for about an hour just looking at it. We weren't the only ones of course.

Cool pics, JB! Thanks for sharing. I never went to the Petronas towers, but you could see them very clearly from the neighbourhood that I was in. Astounding, especially at night. KL was relatively easy to get around in, and had amazing street food and drinks. My god, the non-happy coconut shake I had there made me so damn happy I almost wept. A very fun city.

Side note: apparently Phnom Penh is attempting to build a double tower even higher than Petronas. This idea scares me mainly due to the lowest bid construction company that's making it out of powdered milk, spit and hope (now with less hope).

A picture's worth a thousand words, they say. The pic of you looking coy in that sarong is worth at least 1001. :LOL:

• Like 1

Today's plan involves eating something delicious, reading, and going for a walk and/or tuktuk tour. Probability of happy shake.

Tomorrows plan: the same

The next day: the same

The next day: leaving, copious weeping, giving in to great feelings of despair and utter hopelessness...and that's just thinking about AirCanada and their crap service! Ba-da-boom! Hey!

• Like 2

Batu Caves outside of KL

A little jungle hike

Cool pics, JB! Thanks for sharing. I never went to the Petronas towers, but you could see them very clearly from the neighbourhood that I was in. Astounding, especially at night. KL was relatively easy to get around in, and had amazing street food and drinks. My god, the non-happy coconut shake I had there made me so damn happy I almost wept. A very fun city.

Side note: apparently Phnom Penh is attempting to build a double tower even higher than Petronas. This idea scares me mainly due to the lowest bid construction company that's making it out of powdered milk, spit and hope (now with less hope).

A picture's worth a thousand words, they say. The pic of you looking coy in that sarong is worth at least 1001. :LOL:

I didn't do my homework beforehand of that KL place we had dinner at ((the sarong pic)) which also had a show. That is, no shorts were allowed at the place. It looked more like a giant, open temple than a place to have dinner. It probably was. No bare legs showing were allowed. We were wearing shorts. Oops.

Lucikly (and of course), they had sarongs ready to borrow for unprepared tourists like AngryDaveIrish & me.

In the afternoon the next day we went across that walkway connecting the two towers. Someone told me a few years later that that's not allowed anymore. Unsure about that.

Great food in Malaysia. Happy pizza or shake was not necessary.

• Like 1

Today's plan involves eating something delicious, reading, and going for a walk and/or tuktuk tour. Probability of happy shake.

The next day: leaving, copious weeping, giving in to great feelings of despair and utter hopelessness...and that's just thinking about AirCanada and their crap service! Ba-da-boom! Hey!

I know how you feel...but you ain't gettin' my pity!

I'll mind control and mental bully you!

You're doing stuff many people will never do and will only fantasize about.

((This is all code word for: It's cool to see you're having a great time. Many more great experiences will be had in the next 72 hours.))

So get it on with the happy shakes and happy pizzas and tuk tuks and walks and other methods of slackdom!

:blaze:

• Like 1

Are you drinking a White Russian? You madman!

Who knows? It could've been.

But then again, those were the days when I could've had a glass of kerosene and asked for more.

• Like 1

Batu Caves outside of KL

A little jungle hike

I didn't do my homework beforehand of that KL place we had dinner at ((the sarong pic)) which also had a show. That is, no shorts were allowed at the place. It looked more like a giant, open temple than a place to have dinner. It probably was. No bare legs showing were allowed. We were wearing shorts. Oops.

Lucikly (and of course), they had sarongs ready to borrow for unprepared tourists like AngryDaveIrish & me.

In the afternoon the next day we went across that walkway connecting the two towers. Someone told me a few years later that that's not allowed anymore. Unsure about that.

Great food in Malaysia. Happy pizza or shake was not necessary.

You're 117% correct about the food.

Fell in love with roti canai, teh Tarik, and nasi lemak there. And had excellent street kebabs, soup, lime drinks, shakes, doner, etc etc.

Found a nice Malay restaurant here in PP called Mamak's that I've been frequenting. Excellent roti canai, tea, and nasi lemak! A return for breakfast is on my short list of 'things to do' here. Asalaamalaikum!

• Like 1

I know how you feel...but you ain't gettin' my pity!

I'll mind control and mental bully you!

You're doing stuff many people will never do and will only fantasize about.

((This is all code word for: It's cool to see you're having a great time. Many more great experiences will be had in the next 72 hours.))

So get it on with the happy shakes and happy pizzas and tuk tuks and walks and other methods of slackdom!

:blaze:

Don't worry, I won't be fishing for pity. Merely expressing myself, the way a vet might express a cat's anal gland, for example.

A brief moment of stink, eventually dissipating, leaving the faintest evidence of even occurring. Kinda like life. Life is like an anal gland, best expressed in the company of a professional. Or something like that.

And yes, you're right: I'm a very lucky little hominid to be able to do whatever the hell it is that I'm doing here. I try to remind myself of that every day.

JB, there have been a couple of occasions where I was close to sending you a PM (incapacitation by happy shake thwarted one) about various observations and er, experiences. Just a distant early warning that there's still time, and I still might! Lucky you!

• Like 1