Battling Live Classics 1: Famous Live Albums That Saved Their Bands

Entre_Perpetuo

Which live classic do you prefer?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Frampton Comes Alive
    • Kiss Alive!
    • Cheap Trick At Budokan

Many great live albums have been released over the decades, and many of them can be grouped together by style, length, time period, relative effect on the popularity of their respective artists (like this one), and otherwise. I'm not limiting the making of such threads to myself by making this first one, but I thought it would be a fun exercise to group and rate some live classics, so I have. Which of these career saving releases do you prefer? Peter Frampton's definitive Frampton Comes Alive, Kiss' timeless Alive!, or Cheap Trick's short and sweet At Budokan?

Have fun! :)

• Like 1

Of the three albums, KISS Alive is the only one that really launched a career, so it gets my vote in the poll. Budokan and Comes Alive were the high points of the respective careers for Cheap Trick and, especially Peter Frampton.

I prefer the Frampton and Cheap Trick albums, though.

• Like 1

The only one I have heard of these is Kiss Alive, so I guess that one gets my vote

Really? :eh:

Yes, really....

You should check them out. They are seminal live albums.

I am not a fan of Cheap Trick (live or studio) so they will not get my vote. About the only song i like from them is "The Flame".

Kiss Alive is a good album which most likely had a significant long term impact on Rock music by really getting their careers really going and all that resulted from that. Frampton Comes Alive was a monster high point for his career. I like both of these albums but like Framptons a lot more so it gets my vote.

• Like 1

Frampton Comes Alive waswhen I was in college and it was played and played and played. Many people did know about Frampton before this album but I was already following Frampton in Humble Pie. His album Something Anything is worth a listen.

Peter.

Frampton Comes Alive, and it's not even a contest for me. Still one of the best live sounding albums out there and so accurate to what it sounded like actually being at one of his concerts back then.
  • Like 3

Neil Bogart started Casablanca Records and KISS was the first band he signed .. From 1973 thru the end of 1975, KISS toured constantly, and their manager - Bill Aucoin - was financing everything on his credit cards because Casablanca had no money to pay KISS

Literally, they received no royalties from their first three albums, and ALIVE! was recorded simply to finished out their contract w/ Casablanca and move on to another label

Bill Aucoin actually filed a lawsuit against Casablanca just after ALIVE! was released ..

At that point, when the band was taking 2 weeks to record an album, the famous KISS stage logo was being stored in Paul's parent's house

But something unexpected happened, as ALIVE! caught fire and launched KISS into the stratosphere ..

Casablanca, the band and the management all were happy, KISS was resigned, and Casablanca was then able to continue and become huge, signing acts like Parliament Funkadelic, Donna Summer and The Village People ..

None of that would have happened with ALIVE!

Like them or not, there was never a band more dedicated to touring and getting their music out to the kids than KISS

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Having now listened to all three myself (though not very closely to Frampton) I find this a very difficult decision between three about equally great live albums. I think I'll have to choose KISS though, since I heard it first and the energy there just never lets up. "I want to rock and roll all night and party ev-er-y DAY!"
  • Like 1

Frampton Comes Alive, and it's not even a contest for me. Still one of the best live sounding albums out there and so accurate to what it sounded like actually being at one of his concerts back then.

^^^This. And Live In Detroit is no slouch, either.
  • Like 1