Downloading reading material

Ancient Ways

My eyes have gotten to the point that it is very difficult to read a traditional book even with reading glasses as it is difficult to get enough lighting. However, I don't have too many issues reading on device like an iPad. I'm looking for suggestions on best places to download from. Edited by Ancient Ways
  • Like 1

My husband mostly uses an e-reader as well. https://librivox.org

is a site that has lots of classics and public domain stuff.

If you are near a public library, or already have a library card, ask about their e-book system. A lot of libraries are part of the Overdrive system- once you have a card number to log in with, you can reserve and download all kinds of free library e-books without leaving your home. :)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

I've been downloading iBooks for free and reading them on my phone at night. Lots of sites have free ones and in different formats. This is a big one.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Edited by EagleMoon

I ended up downloading the kindle app for iPad and am surprised at how many quality free books are on their. I've read two since Friday and downloaded the novel for a favorite movie, everything is illuminated, to read next.
  • Like 2

I do most of my reading on my Kindle Oasis or my Galaxy S2 tablet. On my tablet I have several apps, Moonreader, Kindle, Nook, but mainly use the Kindle app.
  • Like 1

I use my daughter's old Kindle from time to time. Generally, I read library books.

Yep, me too. I own quite a lot of ebooks but I do borrow from the library often too, on my Kindle.

• Like 1

Go to your public library and get your library card. Most likely, you can "check out" e-books using your phone, tablet or PC for free as part of your library membership.
  • Like 1

Go to your public library and get your library card. Most likely, you can "check out" e-books using your phone, tablet or PC for free as part of your library membership.

This is next. I didn't realize it but the app was a trial and now they want 9.99 a month to continue. I'm going to pass and do the library route next.

• Like 2

This is next. I didn't realize it but the app was a trial and now they want 9.99 a month to continue. I'm going to pass and do the library route next.

A win-win, as the library needs your patronage! :dweez:

As a former librarian, I second the vote to try your local library. Mine is so pitiful in reading matter that I like (especially science fiction) that I don't try. Look up Bookbub. It alerts you to cheap or free books available from Amazon. There are lots of self published novels these days that they give away. There's a lot of trash but good stuff too. I read using the Kindle app on my iPad where I can make the type bigger for my crappy eyes.