Ronnie James Dio

treeduck

I caught the Dio hype very late in the game, but was fortunate enough to see him live once, in the Magica Tour. I loved the show, and was really sad when he passed away. Since then I got all his solo albums and everything he released with Sabath and Rainbow. It´s very cool that treeduck and J2112YYZ met him...he always seemed to be nice tho the fans. He came to Rio with Sabbath in 1992, but I had a Physics test in college the next day, so I couldn´t go - I flunked Physics anyway, and deeply regret not going to that concert.

I have to disagree with Zumbi and agree with the statement that Tony had a lot more to do with ruining Sabbath. He had no business in bringing Gillan, Tony Martin, Glenn Hughes, Ray Gillen etc to Sabbath when they joined. They´re not bad players, but carrying on as Sabbath with those guys at the time tarnished their legacy. And hey, Dio could have been in the band from 1992 up until he died, if they didn´t decide to have a reunion with Ozzy after the Dehumanizer tour.

• Like 4

I caught the Dio hype very late in the game, but was fortunate enough to see him live once, in the Magica Tour. I loved the show, and was really sad when he passed away. Since then I got all his solo albums and everything he released with Sabath and Rainbow. It´s very cool that treeduck and J2112YYZ met him...he always seemed to be nice tho the fans. He came to Rio with Sabbath in 1992, but I had a Physics test in college the next day, so I couldn´t go - I flunked Physics anyway, and deeply regret not going to that concert.

I have to disagree with Zumbi and agree with the statement that Tony had a lot more to do with ruining Sabbath. He had no business in bringing Gillan, Tony Martin, Glenn Hughes, Ray Gillen etc to Sabbath when they joined. They´re not bad players, but carrying on as Sabbath with those guys at the time tarnished their legacy. And hey, Dio could have been in the band from 1992 up until he died, if they didn´t decide to have a reunion with Ozzy after the Dehumanizer tour.

Too bad you missed that show in 1992. I saw them on that tour and it was great. I was 14 at the time and it was only my second metal show, so it blew me away very easily. Not that I don't think that same show would blow me away today if I saw it because it would. But there was just something special about seeing it at that age. That is still one of the loudest and heaviest shows i've ever been to. My ears didn't get back to normal for a couple weeks. Dio's voice was fantastic and the fact that I could hear him sing over Iommi's guitar really speaks to how strong of a singer he was.

• Like 1

During the Dehumanizer tour, in fact. The decision to open for Ozzy in Costa Mesa is what drove Dio out of the band (again). The Boston bootleg from that tour is better than Live Evil.

• Like 2

During the Dehumanizer tour, in fact. The decision to open for Ozzy in Costa Mesa is what drove Dio out of the band (again). The Boston bootleg from that tour is better than Live Evil.

Dio didn't think Sabbath should be opening for anyone which is one of the reasons he didn't do it. I get why he didn't want to do it. He probably thought that it would reinforce a lot of fans belief that that his version of Sabbath was inferior to the Ozzy era.

I just want to say that I met Ronnie James Dio in 1986 and so in some small way I'm part of the DIO story! :o

Let me put it like this, when Ronnie was in his final moments and his life flashed before his eyes, I'd be in there somewhere! :o :o :o

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

What a horrible way to end it all.

Dreaming of ducks

I just want to say that I met Ronnie James Dio in 1986 and so in some small way I'm part of the DIO story! :o

Let me put it like this, when Ronnie was in his final moments and his life flashed before his eyes, I'd be in there somewhere! :o :o :o

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

What a horrible way to end it all.

Dreaming of ducks

Ducks are fantastic!

Maybe a bit of a strong statement. Ozzy has cleaned up his act somewhat.

Oh wait he cheated on his wife just this summer. He almost choked her to death in 1989, and was drunk and high around his children frequently. Yes, he's an incredible icon who is responsible for the inception of one of the most influential and greatest bands since the Beatles, and he has earned almost every single title and accolade he's received, but he isn't a very good person.

• Like 1

And you guys think Dio is a nice guy? Just listen to this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdYac8qQpAY

But Ozzy is a jerkoff. I've read his book. He's done some terrible things in his life.

I read that too. In all seriousness, I wish I hadn't. I love his music. It was sad to see how obviously proud he is of what a monster he was.

• Like 1

In a perfect world I'd love all my music hereos were also the most perfect persons in the universe..

On Planet Earth, I am satisfied enough that they made great music.

• Like 2

I went to a Dio concert in 1985. I screamed out after one song...

"DIO ROCKS!"

I'm pretty sure he heard me. :smoke:

• Like 1

In a perfect world I'd love all my music hereos were also the most perfect persons in the universe..

On Planet Earth, I am satisfied enough that they made great music.

As am I. But I never like to see someone abuse their family and not show some remorse later on.

I agree 100% (but sometimes I have doubts about remorse shown later)

• Like 1

Oh wait he cheated on his wife just this summer. He almost choked her to death in 1989, and was drunk and high around his children frequently. Yes, he's an incredible icon who is responsible for the inception of one of the most influential and greatest bands since the Beatles, and he has earned almost every single title and accolade he's received, but he isn't a very good person.

I think Ozzy is among the most overrated rock stars ever. Especially after I found out how little he was responsible for and contributed to the music of Black Sabbath. He's a charismatic front man and the perfect singer for the Black Sabbaths, but he's not much else. IMHO.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 3

I think Ozzy is among the most overrated rock stars ever. Especially after I found out how little he was responsible for and contributed to the music of Black Sabbath. He's a charismatic front man and the perfect singer for the Black Sabbaths, but he's not much else. IMHO.

Indeed!!!!

Indeed!!!!

In Sabbath days he was in the right place at the right moment and all his solo success is (like it or not) due to Sharon. Having said that, he remains at the very least a great entertainer and I never wasted a single penny everytime I saw him live.

• Like 1

So, Dio calling someone a jerk off makes him a bad guy? Despite all the things people have said through the years that say differently? OK then. Like you've never called someone a name before whether it was on purpose, you were drunk or just having a bad day. Whatever the reason, just because someone calls another person that doesn't mean they're a bad person.

Also, I don't think "jerk off" is really that big of an insult anyways. I'm sure i've called people that before without thinking anything about it. That must mean i'm a bad person since I used such a mediocre insult to describe somebody.

• Like 1

Rhoads and Bob Daisley wrote pretty much all of his first two solo albums. And geezer butler was the main lyricist in Sabbath. Ozzy is a great frontman and knows how to deliver lyrics presented to him.

• Like 1

Rhoads and Bob Daisley wrote pretty much all of his first two solo albums. And geezer butler was the main lyricist in Sabbath. Ozzy is a great frontman and knows how to deliver lyrics presented to him.

Regrettably, I never saw Dio live in any setting.

He's overrated, but that doesn't mean I don't have appreciation for what he brings to the table. I like his first two solo albums very much. And when I saw him front Sabbath at Ozzfest (I can't remember the year) I had a great time.

Edited by ReRushed

For his credit, Ozzy did come up with the vocal melodies/delivery and they're quite stellar too. He does bring something to the table other than a great stage presence/performance

Did he write the melodies? If so, I'll give him a bit more credit. :codger:

For his credit, Ozzy did come up with the vocal melodies/delivery and they're quite stellar too. He does bring something to the table other than a great stage presence/performance

Did he write the melodies? If so, I'll give him a bit more credit. :codger:

I believe he said he did in his book. For Sabbath/Solo