I think Alien and Aliens are each two perfect movies.

I don't get how the second one is inferior. I think it works amazingly well and they were wise to not repeat the original. If they stuck to just being a horror flick you would have had an easy repeat.

I enjoy Aliens the most to be honest. Always have. I found Alien boring until about five years ago (and I watched both Alien movies before I turned 11). I think it's great and chilling and now I see I was wrong to think it was "inferior", but I think what makes both films work is they each move in different directions. Alien is claustrophobic and intense, Aliens widens the threat a lot more and creates a sense of urgency, panic, threat...like a spreading disease.

Each to their own, but I can't see any negatives about Aliens. Even the extended cut betters the theatrical in my opinion.

You prefer action to suspense and disposable bad guys in the style of a video game.

Yes, it is just a matter of taste .... I prefer the deliberate snowballing dread of the first film ..

Has anyone seen the director's cut of the first film, specifically with the once-deleted scene with Dallas ??

What did ya think ??

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/dallas3.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, it is just a matter of taste .... I prefer the deliberate snowballing dread of the first film ..

Has anyone seen the director's cut of the first film, specifically with the once-deleted scene with Dallas ??

What did ya think ??

No I've not seen that. How much extra footage is there?

I don't get how the second one is inferior. I think it works amazingly well and they were wise to not repeat the original. If they stuck to just being a horror flick you would have had an easy repeat.

I enjoy Aliens the most to be honest. Always have. I found Alien boring until about five years ago (and I watched both Alien movies before I turned 11). I think it's great and chilling and now I see I was wrong to think it was "inferior", but I think what makes both films work is they each move in different directions. Alien is claustrophobic and intense, Aliens widens the threat a lot more and creates a sense of urgency, panic, threat...like a spreading disease.

Each to their own, but I can't see any negatives about Aliens. Even the extended cut betters the theatrical in my opinion.

You prefer action to suspense and disposable bad guys in the style of a video game.

Maybe...I've never been that into horror to be honest. I find myself often distracted by the predictability of it all. I always found Alien a typical slasher/haunted house flick but with an alien instead of a man in a mask.

Aliens to me is a great action movie with moments of horror that left a deeper impression on me.

But as time goes on I find Alien gets better and better. Hence both get an A from me. Aliens an A+ but I don't think an A is a sign of weakness.

Also since things went down with me in my teens that left a lot of scars I have to say my perception of horror and how things effect people has changed so much I don't really find a lot of these movies very realistic. But that's not something I can readily explain and I don't care to try.

Alien is a difficult film for me in many ways now because it is one of the few that make more sense to me in light of what I've been through, rather than come off lame like many others. It greatens the impact based on my experiences and this makes it deeply uncomfortable. But in an odd sort of way it has been like therapy.

I really can't explain all this properly lol without sounding crazy haha

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

What did ya think ??

I saw it once a while ago. I don't remember too much but I do remember that it didn't really matter. I remember thinking at the time that it didn't weaken the movie BUT it didn't add anything either. I should try watching it again.

• Like 2

What did ya think ??

TD, the 2003 "Director's Cut" has that scene restored to the film, but, the film itself is actually shorter than the original theatrical version ... I thought the scene with Dalls and Brett in the cocoon was great - actually disturbing .. But there are some things cut - things that, for me, added to the film ie long tracking shots of the ship, etc ..

I am sure that there will be an "Ultimate Version" released sometime

Anyways, here's a good write up on it:

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Director%27s_Cut

• Like 1

Maybe...I've never been that into horror to be honest. I find myself often distracted by the predictability of it all. I always found Alien a typical slasher/haunted house flick but with an alien instead of a man in a mask.

Aliens to me is a great action movie with moments of horror that left a deeper impression on me.

But as time goes on I find Alien gets better and better. Hence both get an A from me. Aliens an A+ but I don't think an A is a sign of weakness.

Also since things went down with me in my teens that left a lot of scars I have to say my perception of horror and how things effect people has changed so much I don't really find a lot of these movies very realistic. But that's not something I can readily explain and I don't care to try.

Alien is a difficult film for me in many ways now because it is one of the few that make more sense to me in light of what I've been through, rather than come off lame like many others. It greatens the impact based on my experiences and this makes it deeply uncomfortable. But in an odd sort of way it has been like therapy.

I know exactly why you prefer Aliens over Alien. It's because you're intimidated by the butch dyke marine Vasquez! And subconsciously you feel browbeaten into favouring Aliens over Alien...just in case Vasquez comes looking for you! You're particularly frightened of blurting out the line at gunpoint: "Have you ever been mistaken for a man??"

I know exactly why you prefer Aliens over Alien. It's because you're intimidated by the butch dyke marine Vasquez! And subconsciously you feel browbeaten into favouring Aliens over Alien...just in case Vasquez comes looking for you! You're particularly frightened of blurting out the line at gunpoint: "Have you ever been mistaken for a man??"

Nut.

Vasquez eventually was murdered and impersonated by the T-1000 half a decade or so later.

• Like 1

Nut.

Vasquez eventually was murdered and impersonated by the T-1000 half a decade or so later.

What if Vasquez was really a weird clone of Ripley? :AlienSmiley:

Nut.

What if Kyle Reese and Hicks were actually the same person and Ripley were the great granddaughter of John Connor? Given time, Reese/Hicks might've eventually hooked up with his great great granddaughter Ripley! Scary.

"Game over man! Game over!"

• Like 2

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e15/10624256_739821596075049_249524665_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=Nzg4OTUxMzAzOTM0NDAzOTI2.2

It looks like it could be Johnny Blaze during a normal day at work. :16ton:

It would've been two girls in mini-skirts not one in some clown outfit. Otherwise, yeah it's pretty close.

• Like 2

Nut.

What if Kyle Reese and Hicks were actually the same person and Ripley were the great granddaughter of John Connor? Given time, Reese/Hicks might've eventually hooked up with his great great granddaughter Ripley! Scary.

Oh gawd. My brain!

• Like 1

Nut.

Oh gawd. My brain!

Unbeknownst to Reese/Hicks was his own great grandfather, Navy Seal Lieutenant Coffey. He, too, had a less than favorable experience with aliens...though these were underwater and benevolent ((as seen in The Abyss)). Great grandpa Coffey was a little mental too.

• Like 1

Hahaha this is true.

And no I haven't. Have you?

Hahaha this is true.

I have been mistaken for a girl!

Hahaha this is true.

Same haha

Not even joking which makes this sad...

I had a lesbian ask me to dinner.

Worst part is I though she was a guy hahaha

I think that's enough flash backs to my college days for one thread lolsies

Hahaha this is true.

Same haha

Now you're going into too much detail for me... :16ton:

Hahaha this is true.

Same haha

Now you're going into too much detail for me... :16ton:

Hahaha...I was dressed in very fashionable attire, was five stone underweight and had come off a photo shoot wearing the makeup you wear to look natural on camera (don't ask it did my head in).

She thought I was a lesbian. I told her I'm not into men and she said "neither am i" and it was awkward and hilarious and I died inside haha

Good times...still can't believe it wasn't and bloke though...

Hahaha this is true.

Same haha

Don't feel bad. I was mistaken for a guy quite a few times when I was in 9th grade. I went through a real androgynous stage.

• Like 1

Hahaha this is true.

Same haha

Don't feel bad. I was mistaken for a guy quite a few times when I was in 9th grade. I went through a real androgynous stage.

You're still going through it aren't you?? ;) :LOL:

Hahaha this is true.

Same haha

How did you know?

• Like 1

Hahaha this is true.

Same haha

How did you know?

:hail:

• Like 1