Frustration at work

Rod in Toronto

So my job has been a frustrating ride since the very first day. The company I work for is a start-up in the oil business. It takes a while for plans to mature in the minds of the board of directors, and then it´s all guns blazing for a few weeks...then something goes wrong and the whole project is scrapped. I´m not involved in the major decisions, which increases the feeling of not being relevant.

We are in between projects right now, which means a lot of idle time. And I mean A LOT!!! It should be fun in theory, but you can only surf the net so much. And I need to keep apprearances too, and look busy enough so that I don´t get fired.

Anyway, I started in this job in January, and am only waiting to complete one year in the role to quit. I don´t think it´ll look good on my resume to stay less than one year in a job. But it´s getting SO annoying that I´ve started to count the days until I can quit: 48 days to go!

• Like 2

Rod, you are a great guy, a wonderful Dad and husband with an awesome family . .

That is what is important, so don't stress on the occupation - that will come, just keep all options open ..

You've got the best foundation

• Like 2

Thanks, man!!! That´s what I´ve been trying to focus on. I just need January 11th to come, as fast as possible. I have my savings to support me for a while, and the onloy reason why I haven´t quit yet is that it would look really bad on the CV. It´s the first time I have a management position, and even though I´m not managing anything in practical terms, it looks good if I stay here for at least one year. So yah, I´m hanging in there.
  • Like 4

I don't think it´ll look good on my resume to stay less than one year in a job.

You could use this to your advantage. If you do quit, you can cite on your resumé your reason for quitting - a lack of work. Explain in detail how you literally sat around with nothing to do, and how it bothered you.

Your frustration at not having any work to do could make you look really good. It shows that you have a strong work ethic. Potential employers will eat that up!

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

Good call, PM. It makes sense. But we´re planning a big move next year - in April we´ll leave Brazil, actually. So I wouldn´t pursuit anything in Rio for now. At least it gives me time to run errands for the move, but the sense of not accomplishing anything for 08 hours every day is tough.

How does the rest of your work history look? I just quit my last job after only 4 months to relocate across the country. My work history is solid. If you can swing it , I'd say move on. Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

How does the rest of your work history look? I just quit my last job after only 4 months to relocate across the country. My work history is solid. If you can swing it , I'd say move on.

Before my current job, I spent 5 1/2 years with a Norwegian oil & gas company. The rest of my work history is quite solid too, with one or two positions in the mid-2000´s where I stayed only for a few months because better offers came by. Thew thing is, I´m relocating to another country, and I want to try and avoid ANYTHING that will prevent me from getting a job there.

I just heard from a third party (a co-worker who´s in another team) that my company is looking at investing in another asset, but that the odds are against us. That´s another thing that bugs me in this place: a company with 35 people has serious communication issues, problems fall between chairs...I´m never involved in key aspects of the company. My workgroup has four people, three of which went to a course in another part of town today and left me behind. The ONLY good thing about this job is that it´ll help me pay for the Christmas presents this year. But January 11 can´t come soon enough!

• Like 1

Rod you are not the only 1 in this boat.

I am in a career transition as well as a few key TRF members. Do what is right....for you and your family.

I am having to make that same choice...

47 days to go!

I have about four months to go. My distribution center is closing in favor of a new super-duper DC, located about 150 miles away. March 31st is our last day. Those of us who stay throughout the closing are getting a generous bonus, so I will probably stay until the end.

But that may change if a certain psychotic coworker keeps acting up! It may come down to me giving the Company an ultimatum: Either she goes or I go!!

• Like 1

47 days to go!

I have about four months to go. My distribution center is closing in favor of a new super-duper DC, located about 150 miles away. March 31st is our last day. Those of us who stay throughout the closing are getting a generous bonus, so I will probably stay until the end.

But that may change if a certain psychotic coworker keeps acting up! It may come down to me giving the Company an ultimatum: Either she goes or I go!!

Hang in there!!! Keep that bonus in mind!

I just noticed today that the other members of my team are just as demotivated as me. I guess people open up more on Fridays, and at least two of my coworkers were clear about being tired of having nothign to do...at least I have something to look forward to, while others have nothing but this job to hold on to.

47 days to go!

I don't envy you. This happened to me three times in the 80s. 2 times with major boat manufacturers here in Florida that were based elsewhere but moved their FL operation back to their home states. One time I was literally the last employee on site and I locked the gate and mailed the keys.

• Like 1

Rod, it's easier to find a job when you have one. And as someone who for a long time interviewed candidates, I can tell you that someone who is unemployed raises red flags, unless you have an explanation like your family has moved to a new area. Remember that someone who does interviews has the obligation to hire someone who is going to help the business he or she works for be more productive. I can tell you that I have personal experience with unpleasant work environments (this year I left one after 18 years to start my own business, because I'd had enough), so I get wanting to leave one. But a person doing the hiring only knows what they read on your resume, and the "vibe" you give them during the interview if you get one. Maybe the place you left without a job was awful. But maybe you're the problem. And if you're up against a somewhat similarly qualified candidate, all other things being equal, the company may be inclined to go with the seemingly more stable employee.

If you know where you're going now, get resumes out there. Tell them you're relocating soon and want to get a job in place when you land. I think you're better off that way. JMO.

Good luck Rodrigo. I'm pulling for you. for whatever that's worth.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick. What you said about raising a red flag during interviews is exactly what is still keeping me in the job. I know where we're going, but we won't move before April. If I leave the job now, aside from the short time on the role, it'll be too big a gap between jobs. I guess I'll have to hang tough.

Thanks Rick. What you said about raising a red flag during interviews is exactly what is still keeping me in the job. I know where we're going, but we won't move before April. If I leave the job now, aside from the short time on the role, it'll be too big a gap between jobs. I guess I'll have to hang tough.

Like I said, I'd get resumes or "feelers" out now. Some places may not be looking to hire now, or able to wait until April to fill a position. But you make some contacts, and you give the appearance to hiring managers that it's the move that's behind the change. Then if you back at them in the Spring the red flag isn't there.

I was unhappy for a long time. Stick it out as long as you can, for your family. You know there's an end date.

• Like 1

To expound on ricks comment, I'm always concerned that someone who recently relocated is going to get homesick and go back home. I always ask the question about the move and I'm looking to feel that they have ties to the area to keep them here or a damn good reason for the move.
  • Like 1

Rick and Ancient, both good points. I started to send out resumes today!

Good idea. And good luck.

Incidentally, I agree with Ancient's point about ties to the area as a general proposition, but I would probably have less of a concern when the candidate is a "family man," and his whole family has relocated to the area. But I would make sure you assuage that concern in interviews, and make sure they know your family is with you, and you have a young child. You're less likely to jump around in that instance.

• Like 3

Nope...not Australia this time. It would have been MUCH easier, but my wife didn´t like living there, and it´s way too far from home. We´re going to Toronto in April/May.

Probably a good time to go there. Family can get settled in before the arctic air arrives and the great white north attacks.

• Like 1

Nope...not Australia this time. It would have been MUCH easier, but my wife didn´t like living there, and it´s way too far from home. We´re going to Toronto in April/May.

Probably a good time to go there. Family can get settled in before the arctic air arrives and the great white north attacks.

Thanks! I started looking for places to rent this week, and continue to send out CVs.

• Like 1

Thanks! I started looking for places to rent this week, and continue to send out CVs.

Keeping fingers crossed for you! The couple of people I know that have lived in Toronto have loved it there.

• Like 1