Frustration at work

Rod in Toronto

Nope...not Australia this time. It would have been MUCH easier, but my wife didn´t like living there, and it´s way too far from home. We´re going to Toronto in April/May.

Yay, you're able to make it to Canada after all! I hope that you and your family will love Toronto!

• Like 1

I feel your pain, Rod. My job I've been at for 6 months I fear it may send me to an early grave. I'm filled anxiety and angry a lot. Edited by Tick
  • Like 1

I've been with my current company for 24 years and it's up and down. I have to work very hard to manage stress and anxiety. I might fantasize about quitting and doing something else and even moving somewhere else but that might cause anxiety overload. I do wish you all well
  • Like 2

Just a quick update on this topic - I actually decided to stop complaining when I heard of Lorraine´s situation. It seemed to me I had a petty complaint compared to her struggle with her husband´s health. But anyway, I could leave work next week, but as it turns out, I need to stay employed until the Canadian visa comes through - I was told this is a requirement of the process, and although I can´t understand why, I´ll stay longer than expected. That´s ok though. As I told my wife, one more day being paid is one LESS day I worry about money while I´m hunting for work in Toronto. The whole company´s on waiting mode. I´m typing this as I watch Death Proof in the computer AT WORK!
  • Like 2

I've been with my current company for 24 years and it's up and down. I have to work very hard to manage stress and anxiety. I might fantasize about quitting and doing something else and even moving somewhere else but that might cause anxiety overload. I do wish you all well

24 years...you got the "golden handcuffs"?
  • Like 1

Just a quick update on this topic - I actually decided to stop complaining when I heard of Lorraine´s situation. It seemed to me I had a petty complaint compared to her struggle with her husband´s health. But anyway, I could leave work next week, but as it turns out, I need to stay employed until the Canadian visa comes through - I was told this is a requirement of the process, and although I can´t understand why, I´ll stay longer than expected. That´s ok though. As I told my wife, one more day being paid is one LESS day I worry about money while I´m hunting for work in Toronto. The whole company´s on waiting mode. I´m typing this as I watch Death Proof in the computer AT WORK!

Smart move. If they'll pay you to hang around, do.
  • Like 1

24 years...you got the "golden handcuffs"?

I've been there so long the game has changed. Back then you either knew someone or just pounded the pavement.

Edited by Ancient Ways
  • Like 2

I feel your pain, Rod. My job I've been at for 6 months I fear it may send me to an early grave. I'm filled anxiety and angry a lot.

This is why I'm not trying to work at my current firm much longer

I don't want any job to compromise me as a person

• Like 2

Many years ago before I moved to working offshore I was employed by a company that had a hideously corporate culture, and expected you to blur the boundaries between work and home life....this is something i just hated, and despised all the bullshit corporate arse-licking and motivational seminars etc....I just walked out on them and worked locum for a while to get my sanity back.
  • Like 2

Thanks Chicken Hawk!

Based on my original plan, I should be able to quit it TOMORROW...but I´ll wait a bit longer until the visa thing is sorted. I can´t help but feel tempted though...the summer in Rio has been nothing short of amazing - the minimum temperature we had in the last three weeks was around 89 °F!!!

:fury: :fury:

:fury:

• Like 2

Hey hey...

Just a quick update - the VISA seems to have been approved, because the Canadian Consulate asked for the medical exams. We did the exams on Friday, and I will quit my job on March 16th, when my manager gets back from his annual leave. All signs indicate that I´ll be in Toronto in late April!!! Yessssss!!!

• Like 7

Hey hey...

Just a quick update - the VISA seems to have been approved, because the Canadian Consulate asked for the medical exams. We did the exams on Friday, and I will quit my job on March 16th, when my manager gets back from his annual leave. All signs indicate that I´ll be in Toronto in late April!!! Yessssss!!!

:clap:

Congrats Rod!!! I wish you and your family the best!

"Rod in Toronto"...I like it!

• Like 3

Thanks, JB! We´re quite excited about it - Stella´s pumped to the point where we even have to stop mentioning this move. On Saturday night, instead of going to bed, she started screaming "I don´t wanna sleep - I wanna go to Canada NOW!!!"
  • Like 5

Thanks, JB! We´re quite excited about it - Stella´s pumped to the point where we even have to stop mentioning this move. On Saturday night, instead of going to bed, she started screaming "I don´t wanna sleep - I wanna go to Canada NOW!!!"

AWESOME!!! That makes the move even sweeter I bet since the little one is all jacked up about it.

• Like 2

Congrats 'Rod in Transit'! I hope you'll enjoy the winters here, cause I sure don't!

My job is so full of rampant suckery these days that I'm contemplating 'early retirement' (ie: leaving) as well as a possible move.

It's just a fantasy right now to get me through these sour days, but I have sent an email to my admin officer asking about "exit strategies" etc.

Stress ain't worth it. In the last few years I've had four friends pass away just before they were able to retire, which is quite an eye-opener and gives one plenty of food for thought.

Stress sux, and people who cause stress suck even more. argh!

• Like 3

Stella is so much fun- Congrats, Rod !! And just in time for another spring and summer! My parents have traveled a lot in Canada (me just a little) and it is beautiful- Toronto has so much culture with its theaters and shows- it will be an awesome home for you guys.

• Like 3