Aliexpress axcess guitar

hunter

What is it about that particular guitar that you can't find in a more, let's say, reputable make/model at a similar price?

For me, most importantly is the smooth heel at the neck body joint. and the color and quilt maple top. I've owned the epiphone with the floyd and it wasn't great, at least the one I owned.

Yep. i saw both of those after finding the Alex copy. I'm sure it's a crap shoot.

The thing is there are multiple sellers, like Amazon. It may depend on the shop you purchase from.

Edited by hunter

A lot of people say that the company that makes that guitar is not good quality. I'd rather save $200 more and get an Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro FX used. Those are actually good and still a reasonable price.
  • Like 1

A lot of people say that the company that makes that guitar is not good quality. I'd rather save $200 more and get an Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro FX used. Those are actually good and still a reasonable price.

I actually owned one of the plustops. It was decent but I could never get it intonated correctly due to the poor fret work.

I actually owned one of the plustops. It was decent but I could never get it intonated correctly due to the poor fret work.

I am thinking about buying one. I live near a Sam Ash and I would take that and my PRS over for an intonation setup. It costs around $70 each but I would do it if it meant for better playing.

I know a few people that have these guitars. If you are interested, do your research. Find out about the makers and be very specific with your order. If you don't specify otherwise you might get a neck that is not one piece, etc... Why buy one? Honestly, for me if I got one it would be wall art more than playability. Who wouldn't love a wall with Alex's axcess, al's white Gibson hollow body and al's double neck? Now, who can afford to buy the real McCoy of all three just to look at? If you just wanted to get a guitar that is playable these are not for you since you can get a decent guitar for $3-400 already. The flip side is these are so ubiquitous now that you need to be extremely careful buying used gear that is commonly counterfeited in China. At first glance most of them look close enough to fool the average person.

Exactly what I was thinking/where I was going.

• Like 1

The issue is they *look* nice, but there's zero quality control and if you look at the reviews there's corner cutting and other cost saving measures that would steer me away from buying one of these knockoffs/custom Chinese guitars for any serious playing. You can't just slap parts together like these chop shops are and expect something usable to result. And they're really not THAT MUCH cheaper than finding a comparable model on the used market.

You know the saying - if it's too good to be true?...

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

The issue is they *look* nice, but there's zero quality control and if you look at the reviews there's corner cutting and other cost saving measures that would steer me away from buying one of these knockoffs/custom Chinese guitars for any serious playing. You can't just slap parts together like these chop shops are and expect something usable to result. And they're really not THAT MUCH cheaper than finding a comparable model on the used market.

You know the saying - if it's too good to be true?...

I agree mostly. I doubt these places are chop shops per se. I'm sure they make guitars for someone that puts their name on the headstock that are available here to buy in stores.

I doubt these places are chop shops per se. I'm sure they make guitars for someone that puts their name on the headstock that are available here to buy in stores.

What do you base that on? Hunch?

If I could find a real brand on the used market that had the smooth heel that'd be great, but there aren't any. Unless you go with a Charvel Desolation. :/

Unfortunately it's a crap shoot ordering from these companies, so if that's the only reason you're on the market perhaps save up for a proper guitar that meets your requirements or roll the dice on one of these.

Edited by stoopid

I doubt these places are chop shops per se. I'm sure they make guitars for someone that puts their name on the headstock that are available here to buy in stores.

Having held them in my hands and playing them.

Look the best way to honestly cut corners on the Alex Lifeson Les Paul is to go with the standard Les Paul Axcess, which is $2700 cheaper. Then you buy a ghost Peizo Floyd Rose from graph tech for around $300-400. You just spent $3000 on a les paul which can be hard to save that much (which is why we're looking at chinese knockoffs) but you just got basically the Alex Lifeson custom Les Paul for over $2000 cheaper. Also add the fact that you would have a real USA Les Paul instead of a chibson. I understand, though, that some people don't have the luxury and/or time to do this.

Having held them in my hands and playing them.

So they say Gibson or Ibanez on them? I'm not sure how touching them verifies other manufacturers utilize the same factories and parts.