GCHQ's code-breaker challenge

foghorn-leghorn

[samuel = Morse Code ( Samuel Morse )

Louis = Braille

Ludwik = Esperanto ( Ludwik is Polish for Ludwig ... Ludwik Zamenhof created Esperanto )

The original quote is from a "Tim" ....

I need to find some Morse Code and Braille translators on the 'net . . .

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Lucas, if that is correct, I am very impressed.

I doubt anyone is expected to crack it that quickly.

Roll on the 22 November when they reveal the solution.

Incidentally, I promise not to steal your answer :D

Edited by foghorn-leghorn
  • Like 2

Lucas, if that is correct, I am very impressed.

I doubt anyone is expected to crack it that quickly.

Roll on the 22 November when they reveal the solution.

Incidentally, I promise not to steal your answer :D

The key was in the names ....

And Google translator

Just received this email:

SECURITY CLASSIFICATION: OFFICIAL

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for taking part in the code breaking challenge. The answer will be revealed by the BBC on Tues 22 November.

Best wishes

GCHQ Press & Public Affairs Team

• Like 2

Just got home and checked my email - I am surprised they wrote again:

PressOffice <PressOffice@gchq.gsi.gov.uk>

SECURITY CLASSIFICATION: OFFICIAL

Hi Lucas, thank you again for participating. We thought this would be of interest.

THE SOLUTION

Tim said: “We need diversity of thought in the world to face the new challenges.”

Who is Tim? It is, of course, the inventor of the World Wide Web – Sir Tim Berners-Lee

HOW TO SOLVE IT

Step 1 – who are Samuel, Louis and Ludwik?

The key to unlocking the puzzle is identifying Samuel, Louis and Ludwik. In this case, we need to find a common link between them. They are all pioneers in the world of language and code:

1. Samuel Morse, the inventor of Morse Code

2. Louis Braille, who invented Braille.

3. Ludwik Lejzer (L.L.) Zamenhof, the creator of Esperanto, the most successful constructed language in history.

Step 2 – work backwards

With this knowledge we now know that the puzzle reads:

If Samuel Morse transcribed what Louis Braille wrote…

…and Louis Braille wrote what Ludwik Zamenhof translated…

…and Ludwik Zamenhof translated what Tim said…

…then what did Tim say?

We’re given the starting point of Samuel Morse’s translation. We therefore need to work backwards through the various translation steps to return to the source message of what Tim said.

Step 3 - what did Louis Braille write?

We know that Samuel Morse has transcribed what Louis Braille wrote. Morse designed Morse Code as a method of transmitting text information as a series of on-off tones, lights, or clicks that can be easily understood by a listener or observer without the need for special equipment. Individual letters of the alphabet are represented by a mixture of “dots” (short signals) and “dashes” (long signals). So using a chart of International Morse Code (or an online translator if you’re feeling lazy!) you need to take the seemingly random letters of Samuel’s transcription and turn it into Morse Code. One translation down - two more to go!

Step 4 – What was Ludwik Zamenhof’s translation?

We know that Louis Braille wrote what Ludwik Zamenhof translated. Braille invented the Braille writing system, which is used by blind and visually impaired people around the world to read. Braille characters are small rectangular blocks called ‘cells’ (two across, three down) that contain tiny bumps called ‘raised dots’. The number and arrangement of these dots distinguish one letter from another.

So using a Braille chart (or again, an online translator if you’re feeling lazy!) you need to convert the dashes and dots into letters of the alphabet. Dashes represent blank areas in the cells. You’ll arrive at:

Ni bezonas diverseco de penso en la mondo por alfronti la novaji defiojn**

This is Ludwik’s translation! Almost there now. Deep breath. Only one more translation to go…

Step 5 – What did Tim say?

We know that Ludwik Zamenhof translated what Tim said. Zamenhof created Esperanto, the most commonly used constructed language in the world. He believed an easy-to-learn, universal language could help eradicate war and overcome division in humanity.

This is a step where an online translator is the obvious choice. It will identify the sentence as an Esperanto translation of English:

We need diversity of thought in the world to face the new challenges

Step 6 – Who’s Tim?

A quick Google search will identify the author of the quote as Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web.

**NOTE: The GCHQ puzzle master would like to apologise for the error in the Esperanto translation. It should read: Ni bezonas diverseco de penso en la mondo por alfronti la novajn defiojn**

Many congratulations if you managed to solve the puzzle

Best wishes

GCHQ Press & Public Affairs Team

GOT IT !!

:LOL:

Edited by Lucas