Sex Pistols vs Ramones?

Texas King

Sex Pistols vs Ramones?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Sex Pistols vs Ramones?

• Sex Pistols
    • Ramones

The Sex Pistols were the brainchild of Malcolm McLaren, one of the biggest d-bags ever to grace popular music

The Ramones were four sincere kids from Forest Hills Queens who revolutionized the music world

The Ramones

Ramones

Neither band is worthy of much attention though.

Yet so many of the bands you adore would not exist without The Ramones - so you must be thankful that they paid attention

Edited by Lucas

Ramones were more important. When the Ramones went to London a lot of kids there paid attention.

Obviously the same is true of the Pistols, but that was part of the chain after the Ramones.

There is no vacuum situation, and there was of course cross pollination, but on sheer importance the Ramones win.

I also like the Ramones better. Had the Sex Pistols managed to keep Matlock and work for artistry over image they would have been better. Lydon's stuff with PiL proves that.

But I would take the Clash, Adverts, Buzzcocks, and the Damned all over the Sex Pistols, even while crediting the Pistols for the impression they made. The Ramones were the real catalyst.

Ramones

Neither band is worthy of much attention though.

Yet so many of the bands you adore would not exist without The Ramones - so you must be thankful that they paid attention

Yeah I am but that doesn't mean I'm the sort of pleb that thinks an era or band should be essential to my life just because subsequent generations bands loved them.

• Like 2

I've never heard a Pistols song and said to myself, gee, I'd like to hear that again... the Ramones I've said it many times.
  • Like 1

Another tough choice but the sex pistols win for shocking people and fukking with their minds. Bodies. Pretty vacant. Submission. Etc.

Holidays in the sun.

Never Mind The Bollocks is a great sounding album, and the songs are there, no question .. The difference between the Pistols and The Ramones from my view was that the Pistols were actors, and The Ramones were kids who transformed themselves into a pop culture gang based on what they loved, and wanted to be ..

The shock factor was contrived, which to me, makes it very un-shocking ... good album, but The Ramones were sincere, which IMHO is an absolute necessity in this type of music

• Like 1

Which of these big punk rock bands you like better?

My personal preference are Sex Pistols, hands down.

While the Ramones are infinitely more likeable people, Never Mind the Bollocks destroys anything the Ramones put out.

Sex Pistols.

Ramones

The Sex Pistols are a sprint. The Ramones are a marathon.

Never Mind the Bollocks is a fantastic record, but the Ramones have a half dozen fantastic records.

Really?

See I have a best of and it does little for me. But I rarely enjoy compilations.

What's a stand out album from them?

I had the same issue with the Clash but then I bought London Calling and it blew me away.

• Like 1

Sometimes the choice is more personal than measurable or musical. I like both and respect both for what they've done. For me, I had a good friend in the army that may have only owned a couple albums because all I can remember him playing was never mind the bollocks and slide it in by whitesnake. I picked sex pistols as a sort of tribute I guess.

Musically - Ramones

Culturally - Sex Pistols, yes I do believe the Establishment were concerned for a blimp in the U.K.

Chaotic Pistols ran at the Music industry or any other establishment, challenging. Ramones embraced it.

Pistols summed up punk in the U.K. and a lot of the very desperate national mood. Flash in the pan, that was the point, it was done, dusted. One album and out, never for the long haul.

When there's no future

How can there be sin

We're the flowers in the dustbin

We're the poison in your human machine

We're the future, your future

• Like 3

Musically - Ramones

Culturally - Sex Pistols, yes I do believe the Establishment were concerned for a blimp in the U.K.

Chaotic Pistols ran at the Music industry or any other establishment, challenging. Ramones embraced it.

Pistols summed up punk in the U.K. and a lot of the very desperate national mood. Flash in the pan, that was the point, it was done, dusted. One album and out, never for the long haul.

When there's no future

How can there be sin

We're the flowers in the dustbin

We're the poison in your human machine

We're the future, your future

Great observation

The Ramones embraced pop culture and were proud of it, taking pride in being the black sheep of Americana

While I prefer The Ramones - the longevity as a band on their side - Lydon did go on to do things with PIL and Steve Jones has appeared with a lot of great artists - and was a big part of one of my favorite album of the 80s w/ Andy Taylor's Thunder ..

• Like 1