Curse of Oak Island (Season 4) - 11/15

Relayer2112

Does anyone watch this show on the history channel? I became fascinated with the story of Oak Island a long time ago when I saw the "In Search Of" episode about the island.

It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

I grew up near there and have been to the island many times. Is it open to the public again? It was closed in the early 90's.

Treasure or not, it's a beautiful spot.

The last time I was there, I was showing a friend around, and the caretaker (at the time) rolled up in an old schoolbus, with a piece of rope for a belt (not casting judgement, just setting the scene) and told us we had to leave, and he'd drive us back to the car. He then kept us in his bus for around twenty minutes and told us crazy stories. CRAZY stories. He's probably interviewed on one of those shows.

Will keep an eye out for this! Glad you're enjoying it, as it's such a strange and, as you say, fascinating story.

• Like 1

There's just something about a treasure hunt that gets me going. Given that this particular treasure hunt is documented to have been going on since the late 1700's legitimizes it a little bit for me.

Do I think there is anything to it? Probably not...but I do like the two brothers who own part of the island and are currently delving into the mystery. The excitement and disappointment that they go through seems honest to me.

They do run tours of the various digs on the island and it certainly does seem like a beautiful area to me.

My son teases me all the time about watching the show and nothing being found (in four seasons, they've found a single coin). My comeback is always to tell him "the show was only an hour long, ten more minutes and they would have hit paydirt".

• Like 1

It's a typical 'there might be something' here show.

The editing makes it seem, it is just out of reach.....

But makes for a good show. I watch it from time to time, it is better in small doses.

I too wish they would find something big, but am afraid it is all in vain.

• Like 1

It's a typical 'there might be something' here show.

The editing makes it seem, it is just out of reach.....

But makes for a good show. I watch it from time to time, it is better in small doses.

I too wish they would find something big, but am afraid it is all in vain.

I enjoy the episodes where they are actually doing some digging (or diving). It's the distractions (new theories, crackpot of the week etc.) that drive me crazy. I hope the narrator makes a lot of money (or drinks a ton of coffee) to sound as excited as he does over every rusty piece of metal they find.

They are currently showing a marathon on the history channel leading up to the new season. I can't imagine watching the show that way.

If you're interested. Maybe it will add to the mystique?

Caretaker's story

[context: to be read in a flat droning monotone - remember that he had just picked us up in his rickety old schoolbus. we realized, once sitting in the bus, that he had a good-sized knife in a sheath tied to his rope belt.]

I first came to the island in 1971, and stayed for half the year. That was a good year.

1972 was also a good year. I was hired on full time and [insert 2 minute blah blah blah here].

1973 was another a really good year. We had such a long and beautiful autumn [2 min blah blah blah]

Now 1974...1974 wasn't such a good year. I became convinced that I was possessed by an Indian spirit. I was out here all alone and thought I was this guy. I was here for a while before anyone found me. I had to go up to Dartmouth [Mental Institution]. They put a bunch of electricity into me and I don't remember much of that, which is a good thing I guess. They said I was running around like a wild man.

Anyways, that kept me out of business for a while. I got better with horse therapy, and came back to the island in 1977. Now in 1978 blah blah blah.

Okay, here you go boys. It's been good talking to you. Take care.

• Like 1

One of the workers who helps the current "treasure-seekers" has talked on the show about having been possessed. I wonder if it's the same guy. He's evidently been working on and off at the island for a long time.

I'd probably believe him a little more if he said that he'd seen pink elephants on the island.

One of the workers who helps the current "treasure-seekers" has talked on the show about having been possessed. I wonder if it's the same guy. He's evidently been working on and off at the island for a long time.

I'd probably believe him a little more if he said that he'd seen pink elephants on the island.

He'd be in his 70s by now. Glasses, long stringy hair, bushy beard, rope belt with a knife tied to it; but this was 25 years ago.

I don't think he was from the area, might've been from the States???

I will never forget that bus ride, that's for sure!

I'll have to check these shows out I guess!

If you decide to watch...just make sure you have a strong heart, are not pregnant and do not plan on becoming pregnant. Consult your physician if you find a need to watch this show non-stop for more than four hours.

Other than that...welcome to the club.

I watched a whole bunch of episodes one right after the other when they were on TV one time. I kept expecting something to happen but nothing ever did. I'm assuming they still haven't found any treasure?
  • Like 1

I watched a whole bunch of episodes one right after the other when they were on TV one time. I kept expecting something to happen but nothing ever did. I'm assuming they still haven't found any treasure?

They have not found it.............but....................

It's there somewhere

They have not found it.............but....................

It's there somewhere

Yep. Sounds like a marketing scheme for the series to me. ;)