Windows 10 activation

shail

Slight troubles activating windows 10. Just built a gaming machine. SSD drive and a 2 terabyte drive for content. 16 gig ram blah blah blah. My other machine has windows 10 on it. The machine came with windows 10. My buddy brought over a copy on a USB drive to install windows 10. Works fine and all. Just can't activate it. Can't really customize the desktop. Can I use my other computers code to activate it. I signed in and all. Just not sure how to activate it if possible.

It didnt come with any OS. Had to put one on. I booted up from a DOS screen and then used a copy of windows 10 from a flash drive. It works. There are some features you can't use but it works fine. It updates also.

I signed to my hotmail account that is linked to my windows copy. Thought that might work to activate it. It didn't. When I went back to my other computer that came with windows 10 it had changed the desktop background to the start up screen of the new computer. Very bizarre.

It didnt come with any OS. Had to put one on. I booted up from a DOS screen and then used a copy of windows 10 from a flash drive. It works. There are some features you can't use but it works fine. It updates also.

I signed to my hotmail account that is linked to my windows copy. Thought that might work to activate it. It didn't. When I went back to my other computer that came with windows 10 it had changed the desktop background to the start up screen of the new computer. Very bizarre.

Not bizarre. You are trying to use a copy of Windows 10 that has already been installed and activated on another computer, no? Or am I misunderstanding you?

We downloaded it from the windows website. It's free

Free or not, you need one license per machine.

You cannot put the same licensed software on multiple machines.

Maybe. I've used a licensed MS Office on 2 or maybe 3 machines over the past few years with no issues. When it asked for the activation code, or whatever it is MS uses, I type it in and it's worked just fine.

We downloaded it from the windows website. It's free

Free or not, you need one license per machine.

You cannot put the same licensed software on multiple machines.

Maybe. I've used a licensed MS Office on 2 or maybe 3 machines over the past few years with no issues. When it asked for the activation code, or whatever it is MS uses, I type it in and it's worked just fine.

Yes, Microsoft Office will allow up to 3 machines.

They don't exactly advertise that, but you will be stopped on the 4th machine.

Edited by Apollo was astonished