New Geddy/Alex radio interview with George S. from CBC

blueschica

I can understand that but who knows what's actually happening behind the scenes? Hopefully, it isn't as negative as some of us might think it is.

Geddy said on this latest radio interview, "If you care about your bandmate, you just accept it." He was certainly referring to caring about his friend Neil, and how he should accept that his business partner Neil is calling it quits.

Way too many fans make stuff up when it comes to the band's personal lives and friendships.

• Like 2

I can understand that but who knows what's actually happening behind the scenes? Hopefully, it isn't as negative as some of us might think it is.

Geddy said on this latest radio interview, "If you care about your bandmate, you just accept it." He was certainly referring to caring about his friend Neil, and how he should accept that his business partner Neil is calling it quits.

Way too many fans make stuff up when it comes to the band's personal lives and friendships.

I agree which is why I included a caveat in my post. There is a perception that they didn't seem to understand where he was at or was it possible that they just didn't want to accept it?

I agree which is why I included a caveat in my post. There is a perception that they didn't seem to understand where he was at or was it possible that they just didn't want to accept it?

Probably both

I know most people are focused on no touring and no albums but the thing that bothers me is that the perceived friendship between the three of them was more of a business relationship between the two friends and the drummer. That's disappointing as a fan but must be especially disappointing for Alex and Geddy unless I'm reading this wrong.

I think we all read into their dynamic because we only see certain aspects of the relationships such as in the documentary where they're never on screen together excerpt for the concerts and Peart is running all the way to his bus (really Peart? Running the whole time? Dude's just weird). He admits to being an insular oddball, Alex calls him "stoic"...I think he's that quiet weird family member that just sits there and doesn't talk much...will do anything for you but is just...well...f***ing weird. Peart is that weird oddball family member who loves you but will never go out of his way to talk to you. You know: f***ing Weird Uncle Elwood.

• Like 2

I know most people are focused on no touring and no albums but the thing that bothers me is that the perceived friendship between the three of them was more of a business relationship between the two friends and the drummer. That's disappointing as a fan but must be especially disappointing for Alex and Geddy unless I'm reading this wrong.

I think we all read into their dynamic because we only see certain aspects of the relationships such as in the documentary where they're never on screen together excerpt for the concerts and Peart is running all the way to his bus (really Peart? Running the whole time? Dude's just weird). He admits to being an insular oddball, Alex calls him "stoic"...I think he's that quiet weird family member that just sits there and doesn't talk much...will do anything for you but is just...well...f***ing weird. Peart is that weird oddball family member who loves you but will never go out of his way to talk to you. You know: f***ing Weird Uncle Elwood.

Neil is so systematic and calculating that "run back to bus after encore" was probably written on his daily schedule. He probably knew exactly how many running steps it took to get to his bus too. When he got back he sat with his liquor and ciggies and probably smoked and rocked himself back and forth and repeated, "327 steps. 327. 327. Perfect."

Really though, I don't see him as all that weird. His 80s lyrics especially weren't weird at all. In fact, they were down to earth and easy for most of us to identify with. The stuff in the 90s and 21st century...well, whether you liked them or not, there wasn't anything there that was out of left field. Same with his books. Most of them consist of a guy on a road trip looking at rocks and road signs and license plates. Boring maybe but nothing weird.

I kind of think of Neil as the goofy cousin that's quiet at first and sitting in the corner eating pie. However, once you get him talking on a subject he likes, he won't shut up. But he'll speak intelligently on whatever topic it is he likes.

• Like 8

I think he's that quiet weird family member that just sits there and doesn't talk much .....

And yet, when you talk to him about stuff that interests him, he'll talk forever. Reporters who are about to interview him have been warned in advance: He likes to talk..... :LOL:

However, once you get him talking on a subject he likes, he won't shut up. But he'll speak intelligently on whatever topic it is he likes.

We are on the same page.... :LOL:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Neil is so systematic and calculating that "run back to bus after encore" was probably written on his daily schedule. He probably knew exactly how many running steps it took to get to his bus too. When he got back he sat with his liquor and ciggies and probably smoked and rocked himself back and forth and repeated, "327 steps. 327. 327. Perfect."

This is some funny ****

:LOL:

There's more laughs in those three sentences than there is in an entire Pablo Francisco show

• Like 1

This is some funny ****

:LOL:

There's more laughs in those three sentences than there is in an entire Pablo Francisco show

:LOL: I'm positive there are! :LOL:

• Like 1

Sheldon Cooper on drums. And Ged and Al are Howard and Leonard.

What I found very interesting was Geddy and Alex talking about their past, how they don't dwell on it, and how other people insist on asking them to talk about their past.

That can be quite annoying. Always being asked to relive your past.......it's definitely something I would not want to have to endure!

• Like 1

Probably all of the above. Neil at various times has said: 1) He's retired 2) The door is open for any creative effort, including small-scale tours 3) the door is open for creative efforts. There's obvious confusion here, and it's probably due to Alex and Ged talking to Neil less than we might suspect they do. But it's important to note that everything Neil has said is somewhere between 6-15 month old. I think it's unlikely that he still feel s exactly the same way, and equally unlikely that at the relatively young age of 64, that he's ready to pack it in. Give it a year and see if we don't hear something about a new Rush project.

Edited by Ron2112
  • Like 1

Probably all of the above. Neil at various times has said: 1) He's retired 2) The door is open for any creative effort, including small-scale tours 3) the door is open for creative efforts. There's obvious confusion here, and it's probably due to Alex and Ged talking to Neil less than we might suspect they do. But it's important to note that everything Neil has said is somewhere between 6-15 month old. I think it's unlikely that he still feel s exactly the same way, and equally unlikely that at the relatively young age of 64, that he's ready to pack it in. Give it a year and see if we don't hear something about a new Rush project.

Neil's book (released September) is definitive. The door is not open. "Time Stand Still" sorta glossed over that. Neil even describes how Rush & management "waffled" on the final tour statement. The current situation is very clear, and in Neil's own words.

Neil will attempt writing a novel. It will not be good. He'll call in KJ Anderson to help him. It will get worse.

KJA: "Neil, I looooove this part, but your dialogue isn't wooden enough. Your words need to be more woody."

NP: "Okay, can do! I think I'm good at verbal stiffness. Have you read my self-penned drum ads for DW drums? I coined the term "Wood Whisperer"! Any other suggestions?"

KJA: "Stretch out your similes. Don't bother with metaphors, people won't get them.Don't leave anything to the reader's imagination."

NP: "Most readers have poor imaginations, which is why I'm a writer! I can tell people what they should be imagining!"

KJA: "Precisely! Now can you be a bit more smug and bitter in this section here? I think it will impact the flow in a necessary way."

NP: "You got it! There's plenty more where that came from. Say, did you really write Dune? That was a great book."

KJA: [mumbles and backs out of room]

NP: "Thanks KJA! Can I call you Kaja? You're like the literary version of my good buddy Booze I mean Booujzhe. I'm going to work on putting in-jokes and crappy puns in quotation marks. People seem to enjoy those almost as much as I do. Maybe I'll use the 'Wood Whisperer' as my 'nom-de-plume'."

Lightly lampooning;

Clockwork A-hole

• Like 4

I don't think I'd want to see another tour out of them. I don't want to see them decline any further. They're great musically but Geddys voice is shot, Alex isn't playing up to his old standard and Neil doesn't feel like he can keep his quality level up. Sure I could see a studio album since they can work on that over and over to make it perfect, but it just doesn't sound like Neil is interested. I heard a while back that he sold all his drums so that sounds pretty definitive to me.
  • Like 3

Neil: Did you really write Dune?"

KJA: No, but I sure did destroy it!

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

I sure do hope they release one more album of new music. It would be a shame to have the last official media from the band be the R40 documentary.

Why a shame?

I don't think I'd want to see another tour out of them. I don't want to see them decline any further. They're great musically but Geddys voice is shot, Alex isn't playing up to his old standard and Neil doesn't feel like he can keep his quality level up. Sure I could see a studio album since they can work on that over and over to make it perfect, but it just doesn't sound like Neil is interested. I heard a while back that he sold all his drums so that sounds pretty definitive to me.

The biggest concern for me is Mr Peart. He seemed to be flagging of late to me, a struggle, not being able to maintain the superb standard he has committed to. All parts are essential to rush, but as one of the greatest drummers, with his age considered, the time is right to halt touring, probably totally.

• Like 2

Nice to see George S back doing what he does best: pop culture/current events interviews.

He was sadly not so good on Hockey Night in Canada.

I think Stroumboulopoulos is the best interviewer out there. He doesn't just ask questions from a list, he asks questions based on the answers he's getting and he doesn't ask stupid questions.

Sadly, George was out of his element for HNiC, despite being a hockey fan. Maybe another format would've worked for him, but the poor guy was hamstrung by an expensive, elaborate, and painfully unnecessary studio set-up, and saddled with annoying co-hosts, which made it difficult for him to connect with an audience. George frequently would perch on the edge of his chair and talkasfastaspossible, which didn't help matters with the old-school hockey fans.

As you say, he is a very talented interviewer, and it's good to see him back in his comfort zone, and without the shiny suit, skinny pants, and over-caffeination!

He's good with hockey when he's in a more relaxed setting doing HIS thing.

http://youtu.be/Seb0hH3MpuI

As a recovering hockey fan, those clips suffer from bad editing. The guy really does his homework. I think he's one of the best interviewers out there, but you gotta let the guy do his job.

I sure do hope they release one more album of new music. It would be a shame to have the last official media from the band be the R40 documentary.

Why a shame?

Not that it's a bad thing I guess. I just think they would want to go out in a more musical way.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 2