Battle of '96: Test for Echo vs Odelay vs Aenima

JohnnyBlaze

Battle of '96  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these '96 releases do you like the most?

• Rush's Test for Echo
    • Beck's Odelay
    • Tool's Aenima
  2. 2. Which thought is closest to yours?

• I like all 3 and can't choose because I'm a wimp.
    • I like Beck and/or Tool's '96 albums more but refuse to vote against T4E.
    • I like T4E fine, it's just not the winner here.
    • Net Boy Net Girl Dog Years says it all.
    • T4E all the way!

Okay, so why not another battle? Rush has had a hard time in the '89 battle (Presto is still losing) and '91 battle (Bones is currently tied for first). This time I'm going with one less opponent than the other threads. It'll be Test for Echo vs Beck's Odelay vs Tool's Aenima. Personally, I think both are better than T4E but I'm guessing you guys might think something else.

My favorite album from '96 though is Screaming Trees' Dust. Other good stuff included Soundgarden's Down on the Upside, Phish's Billy Breathes, Rusted Root's Remember, and Alice in Chains' Unplugged.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Test For Echo is a underrated album... I love it!

It gets my vote.

T4E is the only 90s Rush album that i don't dislike any songs...though i still like Counterparts more overall. For me, T4E tunes range from okay to good with nothing great. Even Dog Years isn't bad. And even the Net Boy Net Girl crap lyric I just tune out because musically I like that song. Any of the other existing clunky lyrics I block out too...but it does bring down the album a little.

Odelay is a masterpiece.

So is the self-titled Chainsaw Kittens album of the same year, but JB chose to not include it

So I'm writing it in

The Jill Stein of 1996 albums

This is the 3rd of these battle polls I've done. And each time the albums I chose were not only ones I liked but also ones I think MIGHT put up some competition for the Rush album in question. Who would've voted for Chainsaw Kittens besides you Lucas? Again, it would've been a Rush win by a landslide (like that one poll thread you made). I'd like to see it close at least.

There's a reason why I'm not choosing other albums (no matter how great I may think they are) against Moving Pictures or 2112.

T4E is criminally underrated by lyric snobs who refuse to appreciate instruments over words.

Why would it be snobby if someone appreciates (X) over (Y)?

Is it snobby if someone likes music over lyrics? Of course not.

So why would it be snobby the other way around?

Besides, I think virtually everyone on TRF thinks Rush music is better (overall) than Rush lyrics.

MAINLY people who criticize T4E seem to say the music isn't that good PLUS the lyrics aren't good.

T4E all the way. For me the 90's were largely a musical wasteland. Esp. in comparison to the glory of the 80's. I can remember that I went long stretch's (a year or more) on multiple occasions without purchasing any new music. Thats how much I disliked the bulk of the music that came out in the 90's, esp the 2nd half.

T4E, with the exception of Virtuality & Dog Years, is a good, solid, decent album. Nothing great but good & decent. Easy vote for T4E

Aenima for me. T4E is okay at best. I've never heard the Beck album, but from what I've heard of them they're also just okay. But Aenima -- I've listened to that album easily a hundred times. It is fantastic.

1996 belonged to In Flames amazing death metal masterpiece The Jester Race.

I love all three, but T4E righted the wrongs of Counterparts, the thin era, and the synth era. It's just too strong to let the others beat it out here.
  • Like 1