Can I ask you a favor

jacobes335

I have posted some original songs that I did in my basement. Would you mind reviewing them and giving me your honest opinions - seriously you won't hurt my feelings. I did these myself and I don't have any perspective. Not too concerned about the production - They were recorded in my basement so they are a bit lacking - I am more concerned with a critic of performance; arrangements; and the quality of the writing.

One of them is an attempt at a "side long" piece called "so very far away (from anywhere else) It's kind of a Caress of Steel - Fountain of Lamneth knock off, only not as good of course - It would be worthy of being on a Caress of Iron or Caress of Stone Or Caressing what ever album. :drool: Anyway, your honest opinion is the only way I can improve. Thank you

Here are the links

https://www.youtube....h?v=_zJUtSEQFpA

• Like 2

I enjoy a lot of it, and at times, I could really hear what you are going for .. I like "To Dream", "In The Heat Of The Summer" and "So Very Far Away" ... I think I listened to all of 'em ..

My personal suggestions would be that the direction and style could be tightened up a bit - I heard a lot of 90s influences in there, and at times a lacking of distinct style ... Of course, this is one of the most difficult things for any musician ( or artist ) to do ...

How old are you ??

I could also hear some of the songs really begging for some Thin Lizzy / Allman Bros type dual guitar lines - personally, I love that sound, and I think your songs could really start to jump out more with some additions like that ...

It awesome that you put your heart and times into this - real music is always great to hear .... Just keep going

Edited by Lucas

First off let me say your a brave man for putting your music out there for review.

I'm very impressed if you played all the instruments yourself.

I am going to listen to the tracks one at a time.

Last Time.

described as a Rush/ Allman Brothers inspired Instrumental.

First off, I heard both bands in that track, and I thought you captured their mood without

any obvious impersonation. Despite being nearly 10 minutes long, it kept my interest throughout.

Rather enjoyed it . Could need a little editing, but not much. Of course, a decent production job

would make a world of difference.

Are you writing for a band, or is this just a one man project?

We have a "Making modern music" forum here where the "real" musicians hang out.

You will get a more professional critic of your music there.

Keep working on it. Think of Tom Scholz and what he went through before he ever made a record.