Battle of '91: Roll the Bones vs Ten vs Nevermind vs The Black Album

JohnnyBlaze

Battle of '91: Roll the Bones vs Ten vs Nevermind vs The Black Album  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these '91 albums do you like the most?

• Metallica's Black Album
    • Nirvana's Nevermind
    • Pearl Jam's Ten
    • Rush's Roll the Bones
  2. 2. How was this poll?

• I dislike grunge and hate Metallica out of sheer principle. Bones by default.
    • It wasn't easy, but I knew Bones wasn't going to be my pick.
    • I'm a Rush loyalist and will always vote for them no matter what.
    • I honestly think Bones is the best of the bunch. Don't laugh!

In the Battle of '89 thread, Presto placed second and was beaten by The Cure's Disintegration.

Here, Roll The Bones faces even stiffer competition with the triple threat of Pearl Jam's Ten, Nirvana's Nevermind, and Metallica's Black Album. How well will Bones do?

Some of my unlisted personal favorites from '91 include Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese, Smashing Pumpkins' Gish, Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, and Widespread Panic's self-titled album. I left those out and many others simply because I wanted to see Bones go up against the biggest albums of that year and quite possibly of that decade.

:blaze:

• Like 2

Three great albums...I have to say I enjoy Roll the Bones the most, out of all of them.

The Black Album does have great musicianship, and Nevermind represented such a watershed moment in the history of rock music...but I still say Roll the Bones.

• Like 1

I don't really like any of those albums, but, production aside, Bones has a lot of moments I enjoy, even though it's near the bottom of my Rush pile.

I think the 3 albums other than Roll the Bones had a major impact on popular music.

My vote is for "Ten". I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan overall, but I ran out to buy that album.

Voted for Ten.

In other Pearl Jam news, I recall Vs. came out the same day Counterparts did. I waited in line at midnight to buy the album (Counterparts, that is). I think I was the only person there to get the new Rush album.

• Like 2

I think the 3 albums other than Roll the Bones had a major impact on popular music.

My vote is for "Ten". I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan overall, but I ran out to buy that album.

I got Ten from one of those album giveaway companies that mail the release to you if you tape a PENNY to their mail order form. I had never even heard of Pearl Jam because it was before the actual album release. I only read the ad for it: bla bla bla hard rock band from Seattle bla bla bla clubs and amphitheaters. It's the only time I sent away for one of those album for a penny deals despite seeing such mail order forms many times before that. And of all the albums to get for a penny, I got the massive Ten. What a great album. :hail:

This was another tough poll, but for different reasons than others ... I don't love any of these albums.

While I LOVE the Metallica albums prior to this, The Black Album was just crap with a couple of halfway decent songs, and it began a string of albums that sucked.

RTB is an album of poor to mediocre songs with one or two stand outs.

I remember clearly the time when Ten and Nevermind came out -- I was working in college radio and was very much into a different music scene. Nirvana's Bleach came out two years prior and grunge swept the college music scene by storm. Since It wasn't the sort of music I was listening to at the time I didn't like all of the attention the genre was getting, so I wrote off grunge entirely. As a result, I've never heard the entire albums by Nirvana or Pearl Jam. I might like some of them now, but have always had other things to listen to instead.

"I dislike grunge and hate Metallica out of sheer principle. Bones by default."

• Like 1

Currently, there have been 14 votes.

Of those, 9 were NOT for Bones BUT the second question in the poll shows that 10 chose "It wasn't easy, but I knew Bones wasn't going to be my pick." That means one of you crazy Bones voters chose THAT even though you had already chosen Bones as the best of the bunch from the first question!

:LOL:

• Like 1

I strongly dislike grunge so Ten & Nevermind are out of consideration right away. I also don't like the bulk of Metallica's music. About the only stuff I like from them are "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Fade to Black", their cover of "Turn the Page" and their hits off The Black Album.

RTB is among my less loved Rush album - liked it when it first came out but it has not aged well with me.

So what we have is RTB, which has the wonderful Dreamline & Bravado, the ok Big Wheel and a lot of not so great stuff vs. The Black Album. Voted for RTB. Dreamline & Bravado are far better than the best material on The Black album and the worst stuff on RTB is not as bad as the bulk of the material from The Black Album.

• Like 1

I strongly dislike grunge so Ten & Nevermind are out of consideration right away. I also don't like the bulk of Metallica's music. About the only stuff I like from them are "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Fade to Black", their cover of "Turn the Page" and their hits off The Black Album.

RTB is among my less loved Rush album - liked it when it first came out but it has not aged well with me.

So what we have is RTB, which has the wonderful Dreamline & Bravado, the ok Big Wheel and a lot of not so great stuff vs. The Black Album. Voted for RTB. Dreamline & Bravado are far better than the best material on The Black album and the worst stuff on RTB is not as bad as the bulk of the material from The Black Album.

Yup.

Metallicas Black album is where it all started to go Pete Tong for me

RTB is a steaming pile of horse manure.

Ten is superb, a real powerhouse of an album

Nevermind however, was a game changer...it woke up the music scene considerably and as far as I am concerned, Kurt Cobain was the last great rockstar we have had so far

Nevermind it is then.