John Entwistle vs Geddy Lee?

Texas King

The big bassist duel  

66 members have voted

1. 1. John Entwistle vs Geddy Lee

• John Entwistle (The Ox)
    • Geddy Lee

Well...good timing for this question, as The Who is the Band of the Week! http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/97624-band-of-the-week/page__st__400

I started my day with It's Hard and will work my way backward through their catalog this evening, during Trick or Treat.

Entwistle is a force, for sure, and probably tops Geddy in terms of melodic groove. Geddy, on the other hand, is much more out front, I think.

Each has a very different approach to the instrument...tough to choose.

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

Honestly, I like Geddy Lee much more. Entwistle is far too busy a player compared to Geddy.

Funny...I was thinking the opposite. But now, as I listen to the Who catalog, you may be right. I actually think Entwistle is both more and less busy, depending. Definitely punchier, I think, And maybe more creative, overall.
  • Like 1

Geddy leaves most bass players in the dust, including Entwhistle.

Well...the Who never covered RUSH. Just sayin'...

:LOL:

Out of curiosity, I went to looked at the albums each band put out over the years when both bands were active ..

Starting from 1974, Rush has put out 19 studio albums, not including Feedback

Beginning at the same point, The Who put out 4 studio albums with Entwistle ( .. a fifth was recorded with Pino Palladino in '06 )

Not being a big fan of The Who, this surprised me ....

So over the span of Rush's entire career, The Who with Entwistle recorded four albums ...

No real point here, I suppose :LOL:

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Asking this question is like asking if I prefer a burger or pizza...each have their place and time. As Mike Portnoy said, there´s no such thing as one musician being better than another...it´s just a matter of personal preference.

But yeah, I voted for Geddy. He took John´s cue and led bass playing to a whole new level.

• Like 2

Sometimes a player is good enough to play anyone else's music.

I think they are both equally skilled in that.

So than there is innovation.

Again, both have been pioneering performers.

What Entwistle has is history. He was first, and he inspired Lee.

That isn't a statement of quality, but it's the only factor that really separates them.

Anything else is a matter of preference for what they chose to do with their skill.

• Like 4

I can't see any objectivity in your posts. Your opinions are so biased. For example you consider The Who and Deep Purple decent rock bands while I consider them one of the best and the most important rock bands of all time who can compete with Rush any day, every day. Geddy Lee as a rock bassist belongs in the conversation with the likes of The Ox, John Paul Jones, Les Claypool, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton and Geezer Butler.

Maybe if I ask you who is a better keyboardist: Geddy Lee or Jon Lord, or Geddy Lee or Rick Wakeman you would say Geddy Lee in both cases.

I am a huge Rush fan, I consider them one of the best and the most quality rock bands, but I am not so biased.

What you think? Which bassist is your pick?

I think The Ox is slightly better, in fact the best rock bassist of all time, Geddy can come closely second to him.

I agree - as much as I obviously love Rush and the Gedster, The Ox has a way of playing that is just ... beyond. I would rank him #1.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

I can't see any objectivity in your posts. Your opinions are so biased. For example you consider The Who and Deep Purple decent rock bands while I consider them one of the best and the most important rock bands of all time who can compete with Rush any day, every day. Geddy Lee as a rock bassist belongs in the conversation with the likes of The Ox, John Paul Jones, Les Claypool, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton and Geezer Butler.

Maybe if I ask you who is a better keyboardist: Geddy Lee or Jon Lord, or Geddy Lee or Rick Wakeman you would say Geddy Lee in both cases.

I am a huge Rush fan, I consider them one of the best and the most quality rock bands, but I am not so biased.

Asking people "Who is your favourite [anything]" is not objective by definition. If you start a poll on a Rush forum asking "Which bassist is your pick?" you shouldn't be surprised if most people answer "Geddy". I love the music Geddy plays. Not only is he one of the best in the world, this forum is about him and the band. Actually, I am not really a fan of the Who or DP, or most classic rock bands in general. I am a fan of Rush because they are (were) not your typical classic rock band, and because they chose to morph and grow once the 70s were over. As Lucas pointed out, they have been quite prolific -- much more prolific than the Who, for example -- and have probably played more live shows than the other bands you mentioned. I feel that Geddy has continued to learn his instrument and improve over the years, and many, many other stellar musicians cite him as an influence. And Geddy has kept this up for almost 50 years.

Personally, Steve Harris is another favourite of mine with a distinctive style, but he's also my second favourite bassist after Geddy. Cliff Burton is also good, but he only played for a few years, and he died 30 years ago. I'll acknowledge that Les Claypool is a good bassist, but I don't like his style. Chris Squire is also good, but I haven't listened to Yes in 30 years. I did see the Who earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised by the fact I enjoyed their live show, and of course they are capable musicians, but none of them blew me away, certainly not the way Geddy does.

And, for the record, I think Geddy is only an average keyboard player. (He does, however, excel at playing the keyboards AND the bass AND foot pedals AND singing all at the same time, something very, very few people can pull off.) But asking "Who is a better keyboardist" is a very different question than asking "Which keyboardist would you pick/which is your favourite". And you know who are better keyboardists than Jon Lord or Rick Wakeman? Rick Smith and Darren Price, hands down.

• Like 8

Well...the Who never covered RUSH. Just sayin'...

:LOL:

Out of curiosity, I went to looked at the albums each band put out over the years when both bands were active ..

Starting from 1974, Rush has put out 19 studio albums, not including Feedback

Beginning at the same point, The Who put out 4 studio albums with Entwistle ( .. a fifth was recorded with Pino Palladino in '06 )

Not being a big fan of The Who, this surprised me ....

So over the span of Rush's entire career, The Who with Entwistle recorded four albums ...

No real point here, I suppose :LOL:

As a songwriter, it seems Geddy was much more prolific, as Entwistle isn't credited with very many songs through those ten albums.