The Battle of '89: Presto vs Disintegration vs Sonic Temple vs Junta

JohnnyBlaze

Battle of '89: Presto vs Disintegration vs Sonic Temple vs Junta  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these albums from '89 do you like the most?

• The Cult - Sonic Temple
    • The Cure - Disintegration
    • Phish - Junta
    • Rush - Presto

We've seen individual Rush albums obliterate other bands' stuff. See the "PeW vs..." and "HYF vs..." threads for the exact percentages. Is it too hard for a single band or album to take on anything by Rush? Maybe on TRF. I picked Disintegration, Sonic Temple, and Junta not only because I like them but also because I think one of them MIGHT out vote Presto. I think all four are good albums (my favorites from that year) with two being better than Presto (Junta and Sonic Temple). In fact, I can't decide which of those two to choose just yet.

'89 had a lot of bands releasing good and/or popular albums: Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine, Petty's Full Moon Fever, Bleach by Nirvana, RHCP's Mother's Milk, Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique, Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels, and stuff from Love & Rockets, Mother Love Bone, and Soundgarden. Plenty of other albums I'm sure I missed.

Choose. Discuss.

:blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Only album I can remember right off hand buying in 1989 was Storm Front by Billy Joel.

I was a junior & senior in high school in '89. What else was there besides music, hanging with friends, shitty part time jobs, and rejection from girls? :LOL:

Oh, and I still think You Bet Your Life is Rush's crappiest song which reminds me of Joel's crappy We Didn't Start The Fire off Storm Front.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I remember hearing Show Don't Tell and thinking, "Who's trying to ripoff RUSH?!?" Then the DJ said, "That was new RUSH...", and I loved it! :LOL:

I still love Presto. :cheerleader:

• Like 4

Plainsong into Pictures Of You alone is enough for me to vote for The Cure .. I saw them twice on that tour, and they were incredible ..

I loved The Cult's previous albums, but Sonic Temple was a disappointment although it is still a good album - I love "New York City", but overall, I liked Electric a lot more ..

I was never a fan of Phish, but I cannot Junta being any worse than Presto

If we're talkin' 1989, my vote would go with "Free" from Concrete Blonde

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

Plainsong into Pictures Of You alone is enough for me to vote for The Cure .. I saw them twice on that tour, and they were incredible ..

I loved The Cult's previous albums, but Sonic Temple was a disappointment although it is still a good album - I love "New York City", but overall, I liked Electric a lot more ..

For me, the best album of 1989 was Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe.
  • Like 1

We ARE talkin' 1989 but Concrete Blonde didn't make the JB finals. ;)

Besides, Concrete Blonde's Free would have no chance vs Presto on this board. And I'm not saying Presto is all that great or Free is all that bad. You don't want to see another 93% vs 7% thread battering again (as shown in the PeW vs Drama thread), do you?

This thread is to see how tight a race it can be...while still using albums that I think are just as good as Presto (Disintegration) or better (Junta and Sonic Temple).

• Like 1

For me, the best album of 1989 was Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe.

I thought about putting that in there but Yes had their chance vs Rush in the other thread. Yes, I know that's not Yes but you know how it is, yes?

• Like 1

I chose The Cure.

They have made something a lot different from the rest of their generation and it lasts until nowadays.

It's an example, among many other bands, of a mature band that knows it's artistical path.

They were very troubled inthe 80's, but very precise on stage.

The Cure made beautiful concerts and still do.

:clap:

:yes:

• Like 3

Presto is one of my least favourite Rush albums. I don't like Phish or The Cult. But Disintegration is a really great album.

I remember reading an article around that time in which Peart is lavishing praises on Disintegration. I can see why. I'd say it's at least as good as Presto. Over the years, I've liked Presto less and Disintegration more. Still, I like both...though I don't love either.

• Like 1

Sonic Temple from The Cult is great, I own it. I haven't listened to it in over a decade.

I listen to chucks of Presto like every other week.

Next...

• Like 3

The Cult - Sonic Temple by far.

Sidenote: I got my IROC Z28 stuck in a field while listening to Sonic Temple because I am that cool.

Now if I could only remember the name of the broad that was there with me....ahem...drinking...yeah that's it.

Sweet Soul Sister is all I remember

• Like 2

None of these albums cone close to Disintegration. Very few albums in general do.
  • Like 3

The best '89 album by far was Gretchen Goes to Nebraska by King's X.

But as a Cult fan (as a Presto "hater"), I had to go with Sonic Temple.

And here is one album I would likely put above Disintegration. WOW...what a great year if it has both these!