The Battle of '89: Presto vs Disintegration vs Sonic Temple vs Junta

JohnnyBlaze

Battle of '89: Presto vs Disintegration vs Sonic Temple vs Junta  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these albums from '89 do you like the most?

• The Cult - Sonic Temple
    • The Cure - Disintegration
    • Phish - Junta
    • Rush - Presto

I love Presto, and it does pain me to put any other band ahead of Rush in a "which album is better" scenario...but Disintegration has been a watershed album in The Cure's career, ever since it was released. I have to say, that one's better.

I love Sonic Temple, also- I saw The Cult on the tour supporting that album, and they were brilliant.

I like Junta, but I think Phish did albums later on that were a far sight better.

I'd like to give honorable mention to an album that came out in '88, which is right up there with Disintegration as one of the foundations of what came to be called 'alternative' music (as that term was brand new in the vernacular, starting around that time)- Nothing's Shocking, by Jane's Addiction. It's an amazing record.

• Like 2

I love Presto, and it does pain me to put any other band ahead of Rush in a "which album is better" scenario...but Disintegration has been a watershed album in The Cure's career, ever since it was released. I have to say, that one's better.

I love Sonic Temple, also- I saw The Cult on the tour supporting that album, and they were brilliant.

I like Junta, but I think Phish did albums later on that were a far sight better.

I'd like to give honorable mention to an album that came out in '88, which is right up there with Disintegration as one of the foundations of what came to be called 'alternative' music (as that term was brand new in the vernacular, starting around that time)- Nothing's Shocking, by Jane's Addiction. It's an amazing record.

A few points...

- Nothing's Shocking would beat all four of those imho. But alas, wrong year.

- Phish did make albums that were much better. But in '89 they only released Junta.

- Unfortunately, I missed The Cult in concert every time they came around.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Sonic Temple got me into the Cult back when it came out...killer album. "Disneyland's trash can baby yeah...give ya heart attack!" - New York City.

A much older girl (no, I had zero chance) tried to get me into the Cure...nope.

Presto is my album. A dude in my class even showed up with a full sized Presto promo poster he got from the record store. It was my signal to buy the album and become a fan.

Phish? no.

• Like 2

I don't know the other ones so Presto gets my vote by default. :d13:

Damn you and your ignorance duck! :hail:

It's not ignorance, just an unrelenting allegiance to metal, maybe :LOL:

:goodone: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :givebeer:

Only album I can remember right off hand buying in 1989 was Storm Front by Billy Joel.

I was a junior & senior in high school in '89. What else was there besides music, hanging with friends, shitty part time jobs, and rejection from girls? :LOL:

Oh, and I still think You Bet Your Life is Rush's crappiest song which reminds me of Joel's crappy We Didn't Start The Fire off Storm Front.

You're ten years behind me. I was 29 in '89 and working full time but in a band and played out at night. Still getting rejected by girls too. :LOL:

• Like 2

Plainsong into Pictures Of You alone is enough for me to vote for The Cure .. I saw them twice on that tour, and they were incredible ..

I loved The Cult's previous albums, but Sonic Temple was a disappointment although it is still a good album - I love "New York City", but overall, I liked Electric a lot more ..

I was never a fan of Phish, but I cannot Junta being any worse than Presto

If we're talkin' 1989, my vote would go with "Free" from Concrete Blonde

We ARE talkin' 1989 but Concrete Blonde didn't make the JB finals. ;)

Besides, Concrete Blonde's Free would have no chance vs Presto on this board. And I'm not saying Presto is all that great or Free is all that bad. You don't want to see another 93% vs 7% thread battering again (as shown in the PeW vs Drama thread), do you?

This thread is to see how tight a race it can be...while still using albums that I think are just as good as Presto (Disintegration) or better (Junta and Sonic Temple).

How about "Workbook" from Bob Mould. That is one incredible CD.
  • Like 1

Plainsong into Pictures Of You alone is enough for me to vote for The Cure .. I saw them twice on that tour, and they were incredible ..

I loved The Cult's previous albums, but Sonic Temple was a disappointment although it is still a good album - I love "New York City", but overall, I liked Electric a lot more ..

I was never a fan of Phish, but I cannot Junta being any worse than Presto

We ARE talkin' 1989 but Concrete Blonde didn't make the JB finals. ;)

Besides, Concrete Blonde's Free would have no chance vs Presto on this board. And I'm not saying Presto is all that great or Free is all that bad. You don't want to see another 93% vs 7% thread battering again (as shown in the PeW vs Drama thread), do you?

This thread is to see how tight a race it can be...while still using albums that I think are just as good as Presto (Disintegration) or better (Junta and Sonic Temple).

How about "Workbook" from Bob Mould. That is one incredible CD.

I forgot that that came out in '89! Good call.

Bloodletting is much better than Free. :finbar:

But Bloodletting wasn't released in 89, so my post here really contributes nothing to this thread. Please accept my humble apologies. :)

The year 1989 was huge in a number of ways...not just in terms of the music scene, but historically speaking, too. I remember reading a retrospective of it in a magazine sometime in the very early '90s that described it as a year that comes along once or perhaps twice in a century.

There were the demonstrations in Tiananmen Square in June, and the fall of the Berlin Wall in November, to name just a couple of things.

• Like 2

The year 1989 was huge in a number of ways...not just in terms of the music scene, but historically speaking, too. I remember reading a retrospective of it in a magazine sometime in the very early '90s that described it as a year that comes along once or perhaps twice in a century.

There were the demonstrations in Tiananmen Square in June, and the fall of the Berlin Wall in November, to name just a couple of things.

Taylor Swift was born...

I joke I joke haha

Taylor Swift was born...

I joke I joke haha

Fanboy!

:LOL: ;)

voivod - nothingface

morbid angel - altars of madness

nomeansno - wrong

melvins - ozma

autopsy - severed survival

ozric tentacles - pungent effulgent

pixies - doolittle

atheist - piece of time

bolt thrower - realms of chaos

sodom - agent orange

exodus - fabulous disaster

fates warning - perfect symmetry

overkill - the years of decay

pestilence - consuming impulse

sabbat - dreamweaver

primus - suck on this

sepultura - beneath the remains

toxik - think this

watchtower - control and resistance

repulsion - horrified

annihilator - alice in hell

• Like 3

Taylor Swift was born...

I joke I joke haha

Fanboy!

:LOL: ;)

I hate her....

....OK that's not true haha

• Like 1

How about A Show of Hands by Rush?

Or Gutter Ballet by Savatage.

I wanted studio albums only so no ASoH.

Savatage...never really listened to them so I couldn't include them.

Not including ASOH keeps it a studio album match up. Makes sense to me.

As for Gutter Ballet, sadly that an album which disappointed me. I LOVED Hall of the Mountain King and Streets. Unfortunately (IMO) Savatage put out Gutter Ballet in-between them. Just not thrilled by it. So even if it had been included, Presto would still have gotten my vote. Now Presto vs. either Hall of the Mountain King or Streets - wow! Thats brutal to pick. Might even go with the Savatage albums in that match up. Which is saying something since I really like Presto.

Storm Front by Billy Joel was also mentioned in a prior post in this tread. I am not a big Billy Joel fan so again Presto would get my vote. That is despite the fact that Storm Front has "We didn't Start the Fire" - one of my favorite Billy Joel songs.