Give me your favorite vegan or vegetarian recipes

Day of Light

A thread to discuss meat-free recipes and the meat-free diet in general.

Lately I've been bored of the regular veggie stir-fry and baked tofu combinations I've been cooking myself and I'd like more creative ways to eat. Bonus points if I learn interesting ways to integrate tofu, especially, as while it is delicious when properly seasoned I'm admittedly a little clueless about proper tofu marinades, spices, and preparation in general.

On a different note, this vegan chili is delicious and it's one of those recipes that are good regardless if an ingredient gets omitted, added or swapped. I've been enjoying it and preparing it a lot, and it'll probably get more uses now that most of the vegetables are freshly harvested. I prepared it with mushrooms today and my parents, especially, loved it so much that I didn't get to have any for later. :)

• Like 2

I'd love to see some suggestions too

I do still use animal products in the food I eat, and the problem I have experienced is that I cannot eat gluten - and eggs are usually an important part of certain gluten free foods ..

I've been reading about flax egg - which is basically flax seeds and water

I'd love to hear more because while I love cooking and preparing food, I really have no idea how to go about taking the next step as far as making good dishes

http://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-a-flax-egg/

• Like 2

Oh, I could probably fill a whole thread with meatless recipes :). A lot of what I cook I just throw together on the fly. I'm a fan of cooking up a pot of stuff (like chili; my recipe is very similar to the one you posted) and freezing the extra for the days I don't have time/feel like cooking.

I find I eat very little tofu and instead try and concentrate on eating more actual vegetables. If you like the idea of a meat substitute you can also try seitan, or some of those prepared meat substitutes you find in the freezer section.

Here are a couple dishes for starters:

Mediterranean style chickpea stew

Sauté diced onions in olive oil until translucent, add minced garlic and some cinnamon and cook a little longer.

Add large can of diced tomatoes with the juice. Maybe throw in some diced carrot. Add a can of chickpeas, drained, and herbs (za'atar is good here). Cook 10 mins or so, until the carrots have softened. Add a can of artichoke hearts sliced into bite-size pieces, and a bunch of sliced green or kalamata olives and cook another 5-10 minutes, until th excess liquid is gone. Serve over brown rice.

Roasted root veggies

Clean and cut root veggies (sweet potatoes, beets, potatoes, onions, carrots) and put them in a glass baking dish. The carrots take the longest to cook so I cut them fairly thin. Toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs du Provence and bake at 350F for an hour, or until veggies are tender.

I've found some great recipes on Smitten Kitchen, https://smittenkitchen.com/

I'll try and remember to post stuff here as I think about it, or make dinner :)

• Like 3

Oh, I could probably fill a whole thread with meatless recipes :). A lot of what I cook I just throw together on the fly. I'm a fan of cooking up a pot of stuff (like chili; my recipe is very similar to the one you posted) and freezing the extra for the days I don't have time/feel like cooking.

I find I eat very little tofu and instead try and concentrate on eating more actual vegetables. If you like the idea of a meat substitute you can also try seitan, or some of those prepared meat substitutes you find in the freezer section.

Here are a couple dishes for starters:

Mediterranean style chickpea stew

Sauté diced onions in olive oil until translucent, add minced garlic and some cinnamon and cook a little longer.

Add large can of diced tomatoes with the juice. Maybe throw in some diced carrot. Add a can of chickpeas, drained, and herbs (za'atar is good here). Cook 10 mins or so, until the carrots have softened. Add a can of artichoke hearts sliced into bite-size pieces, and a bunch of sliced green or kalamata olives and cook another 5-10 minutes, until th excess liquid is gone. Serve over brown rice.

Roasted root veggies

Clean and cut root veggies (sweet potatoes, beets, potatoes, onions, carrots) and put them in a glass baking dish. The carrots take the longest to cook so I cut them fairly thin. Toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs du Provence and bake at 350F for an hour, or until veggies are tender.

I've found some great recipes on Smitten Kitchen, https://smittenkitchen.com/

I'll try and remember to post stuff here as I think about it, or make dinner :)

Both of these recipes sound incredibly do-able. I'll be trying the chickpea stew soon as I have loads of cans of that stuff (I make my own hummus)

On seitan: I've yet to find any at the local grocery store, but it's on my list of things to try!

• Like 2

Here's a recipe for homemade seitan. (Read the first comment as to what to do with it once you've made it.) You can usually find wheat gluten in the baking or bulk section.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/fast-easy-homemade-seitan-1220052

Once you get your paws on some seitan you can use it in most recipes that call for meat. There's a great vegan sandwich shop nearby that makes a delicious fried chicken sandwich. A thick chunk of seitan is breaded and fried like chicken, then placed on a roll with a mayo-based coleslaw and pickled onions. SO GOOD!

• Like 2

If you're into cookbooks, Millennium Restaurant (formerly of San Francisco, now in Oakland) is an excellent vegan restaurant with its own cookbook. https://smile.amazon.com/Millennium-Cookbook-Extraordinary-Vegetarian-Cuisine/dp/0898158990

And although I've never been there, Crossroads in LA is supposed to be just as good, and they also have a cookbook. https://smile.amazon.com/Crossroads-Extraordinary-Recipes-Restaurant-Reinventing/dp/1579656366

So far I've made a few recipes from each and liked them.

• Like 1

Oh, this is a delicious and moist cake!

Chocolate Stout Cake

• 1 cup stout (such as Guinness)
  • 1 cup oil (either just canola, or half olive)
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1.5 t baking soda
  • 3/4 t salt
  • 2 replaced eggs (En-Er-G Egg Replacer is perfect here)
  • 2/3 C silken tofu, blended with ~1 T lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil & flour a 9-inch round cake pan with high sides (springform perfect).

Bring stout and oil to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl to blend.

Blend the tofu and lemon juice together, and then add the egg replacer powder and water.

Add tofu mixture to the stout-chocolate mixture pan, and beat just to combine.

Add chocolate mixture to flour mixture, and stir/fold batter until completely combined. Put into pan. Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Transfer cakes to rack; cool 10 minutes or more. Turn cakes out onto rack and cool completely.

Makes 1 good-sized cake.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 2

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Halve a butternut squash and scoop out seeds. Coat cut side with olive oil and place cut side down in baking pan. Bake at 350ºF for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until squash is easily punctured with a fork and edges are beginning to brown. Let cool.

Scoop squash into pot with vegetable broth and some tarragon (or other herbs - maybe thyme?). Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 -10 minutes. Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. (Alternately, you can put the soup into a regular blender but use caution - fill blender no more than halfway, and cover the lid with a cloth to prevent hot soup from going all over the kitchen!)

For garnish, take a few thin slices of french bread (stale is okay) or a handful of croutons. Melt butter in a small frying pan, add a teaspoon or two of poultry seasoning, and fry the bread for a few minutes. Place slices on top of the soup.

Eat. Yum!

• Like 2

A Nice grilled Flat Iron Steak medium rare, with nice shrimp and or Lobster tail. Baked potato with everything and Bacon! and maybe some nice asparagus w/lemmon & Butter...

Best Vegan dish ever! :P

Seriously, why do meat-eaters always think stuff like this is necessary?

• Like 2

Anyway...

I've been trying to really budget and not go out to eat as much which means getting creative with what I already have in the house.

I just made a bean dip with vegetarian refried beans and mixed them with red lentils 50/50. I have to say it's seriously delicious. I did put a little bit of shredded cheese on the top but otherwise it could be vegan with the right stuff.

A Nice grilled Flat Iron Steak medium rare, with nice shrimp and or Lobster tail. Baked potato with everything and Bacon! and maybe some nice asparagus w/lemmon & Butter...

Beef is a vegitable. Cows eat grass and turn it into steaks, roasts & Burgers N such... pretty easy to figure that out ;)

• Like 2

Oh they're just trying to be superior or something.

• Like 1

Polenta & Greens

Saute some greens (I like chard, kale, and/or spinach) with shallots or onion, and garlic. Place on top of a bed of polenta (store-bought, or easy to make yourself), and top with marinara sauce. If you eat eggs, you can put a poached egg on top and it makes a great breakfast.

http://www.chowhound...-frosting-29436

This vegan chocolate cake looks seriously good and even though I'm not vegan, I actually want to try this sometime!

My omnivorous friends love it!

Hell, I just love baking in general, so it doesn't matter if the recipe is vegan or non-vegan, just so long as it tastes yummy and makes people happy when they eat it :)

• Like 2

Aside from making a mean bowl of hummus, I usually eat veggies raw or in a salad.

I'm a big fan of salad bar restaurants like Sweet Tomatoes here in FL. Although along with the salad I do confess to also having a bowl of chicken soup or chili.

Tonight I made some yummy Asian Lettuce Wraps.

Sauté some onion and bell pepper for 5 or so minutes, then add garlic and cook another minute. To that, add chopped bamboo shoots (you could also use water chestnuts) and ground meat substitute and cook for several more minutes. Place the mixture into a bowl and add some soy sauce, a touch of rice vinegar, and sambal oelek. (You could also use sauces like hoisin, plum, Thai chili - whatever you like.) Scoop the mixture into large, washed lettuce leaves, roll like a burrito, and eat!

Speaking of yummy Asian food eaten like a burrito, Miang Kum is delicious! I discovered it in Thailand, but make a few small changes when I make it at home. Simply eliminate the shrimp, use spinach for the leaves, jalapeño for the peppers, and a sweet Thai chili sauce for the sauce. (These aren't recipes so much as they are a list of stuff to wrap in your leaves.)

http://importfood.com/recipes/miangkham.html

http://www.realthairecipes.com/recipes/leaf-wrapped-snack/

Note that the name is a phonetic translation so you'll see it spelled different ways.