Ok, Serious Time. All OPETH Fans Only Please. Posers Please Exit Stage Left. Did Steven Wilson Ruin Opeth Or Make The Band Better?

RUSHHEAD666

Old School Cookie Monster Opeth V. Modern Prog Metal Clean Vocal Opeth!  

8 members have voted

1. 1. True Or False. Did Steven Wilson Ruin Opeth Or Put The Band On The Right Eternal Metal Track? Blackwater Park!

• TRUE!!! Steven Wilson is a wimp! A Prog Poser!! He ruined Opeth!! ORCHID!
    • FALSE!!" Steven Wilson is a prog genius and can do no wrong. He put Opeth on the Universal Musical Map! OPETH is getting better with each album!!!

This is the only band in the world that has that damn growl fuckking vocal that I love!!

Opeth is easily a top ten metal band for me.

They were so incredible last night.

They blew my fuckking mind.

Last tour I all most fell asleep.

Yet it was still excellent.

Mikael is GENiUS CHRIST!

He has one hell of a sense of humor too.

Always making fun of his drummer.

Love it.

Anyway there is no doubt in my mind that when Steven Wilson started to get involved with Opeth they went to the next level of serious progressive metal.

Growl shite can only keep you one dimensional.

Ironically "Deliverance" is one of the greatest songs on the planet.

They played that song last night. The Warlfield went fuckking nuts.

Everyone in the place was headbanging. Air guitar. Air drum.

Everyone knew the words.

It was pure eternal bliss.

Hoping some of you hardcore Opeth fans voice your true opinion, I know many of you hate the direction they chose.

I love it and embrace it all.

Opeth is my new Rush.

I will see them overtime they come here.

OPETH > GHOST

• Like 2

Considering the oldest Opeth album I love from start to finish is My Arms Your Hearse, I'd say no cause I totally dig the direction Opeth took from that album onward even if some of it doesn't click with me as much. I don't think that SW influenced Opeth's current direction at all, sonically and production wise though yes he totally did. At least for me, and i say this as an objective listener of their discography, it was apparent with each subsequent album that the band was gonna go less and less metal and that the trio of Heritage, Pale Communion, and Sorceress was gonna happen eventually. I know Åkerfeldt isn't/wasn't listening to much modern metal at all as he was more influenced by bands from the '70s and early '80s in recent years. Ghost Reveries was the pinnacle of the band's prog death metal sound and Watershed was more of like whatever was left in Åkerfeldt's tank for that prog death metal sound they were known for.

Ironically "Deliverance" is one of the greatest songs on the planet.

They played that song last night. The Warlfield went fuckking nuts.

Everyone going nuts over Deliverance? Pfft. That's nothing compared to experiencing the crowd going nuts over By The Pain I See In Others. Sorry, I just have to boast about NYC being one of the only 4 cities in the world (LA being the only other city in North America) that'll ever get to hear that song live. :P

• Like 1

I don't think he ruined Opeth but he changed them and set them on a different path, but they may have found that path own their own eventually anyway.

Yes! I agree! Opeth is anything but ruined. A bad choice of a word.

To me Opeth is majestic and absolutely beautiful and stunning!!!

They keep getting better with each new release.

• Like 1

Earl where are all your Japanese CDs stored??

Well Duck. This is a public forum so I'm just going to tell you that I was able to keep them after my divorce.

They are safe with me in my house.

Good news then mate! :ebert:

I don't think he ruined Opeth but he changed them and set them on a different path, but they may have found that path own their own eventually anyway.

Yes! I agree! Opeth is anything but ruined. A bad choice of a word.

To me Opeth is majestic and absolutely beautiful and stunning!!!

They keep getting better with each new release.

Aye, I miss some of the heavier riffs though. My favorite album is still Ghost Reveries.

I'd say no because Steven influenced their sound in Blackwater Park/Damnation etc. But the last 3 albums seem to be driven by Mikael more than Steven. His only involvement was mixing.

Cool Union!!!

I'm seeing Alice Cooper in San Francisco on Wednesday!!!

I can't wait!!!!

Alice Cooper for President!!!

Signed,

"ELECTED!"

Didn't he produce Blackwater Park?

I.might be wrong...if he did I say improved.

I think SW helped them perfect their sound as a Death Metal band. If anything, Opeth had a profound influence on SW and his work with PT. Just look at how PT changed after Blackwater Park. The albums In Absentia through The Incident have some very heavy moments. It seems to me that SW and MA both began to grow weary of being metal right around the same time, after Watershed and The Incident.
  • Like 2

I love Opeth - easily my favorite band at the moment. Very jealous that you were at the LA show! (They're not even coming close to Florida, damn it! I even thought about flying out somewhere, but can't swing it this Fall..)

Opeth post-Blackwater Park would be drastically different without Steven Wilson's influence (yes, he produced Blackwater park, Deliverence, Damnation, and mixed a couple others.) As a big fan of both artists, I see Steven and Mikael as a sort of modern day Picasso / Matisse, two masters with a sort of friendly rivalry. Not adversarial, but they inspire each other. Steven's metal-tinged Porcupine Tree years were inspired by Opeth (I hear it in the heavier parts of In Absentia (which I've read Steven say was directly inspired by Opeth), Deadwing (like the middle section of Arriving Somewhere...), and Fear of a Blank Planet. Obviously Mikael's mellower or melodic vocal style was inspired by Steven and working with him on the albums that really developed that. I've read Steven say that his album "grace for drowning", Opeth's "Heritage", and their collaboration "Storm Corrosion" are a sort of trilogy - the three albums relating to each other in their approach and homage to darker vintage prog. They're both huge record collectors and share this bond of musical influence.

would Opeth even exist without Steven's influence? I can only say maybe. Mikael is a genius - but would Opeth, as a band, have developed from where they started out at? would they have progressed beyond just a really good death metal band? Would Mikael have developed his non-growl vocals? would he have had the courage to completely change directions of the band with a partially hostile fan-base? I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

Full disclosure - I personally found Opeth via SW / Porcupine Tree.

At first, I did not care for the growls and thought them ridiculous. But the music was so damn good. But then I came around to really like the growls - so fitting for ultra-aggressive sections. "Watershed" first got me because it had both vocal approaches (clean / growl) presented in a way that clicked with me. His clean vocals were also superb. I ended up really liking the approach of extreme contrast (and "rediscovering" all their earlier work.) With Heritage, the music was still very interesting, clean vocals were great, but I did miss having the extreme element. But once again, after properly being open to the new music, I realized Opeth (as true progressive artists) made something great. And for me, Pale Communion was further growth, and now, Sorceress is a masterpiece.

• Like 3

I will not say ruined, i salute them for trying a new style and sound. Great bands cannot be stagnant, and opeth IS a great band. That beind said, the new direction is not overall my cup of tea. In perspective my personal favorite is Still Life. So that beind said i did not vote lol, but here are my thughts anyways...
  • Like 1

At first, I did not care for the growls and thought them ridiculous. But the music was so damn good. But then I came around to really like the growls - so fitting for ultra-aggressive sections. "Watershed" first got me because it had both vocal approaches (clean / growl) presented in a way that clicked with me. His clean vocals were also superb. I ended up really liking the approach of extreme contrast (and "rediscovering" all their earlier work.) With Heritage, the music was still very interesting, clean vocals were great, but I did miss having the extreme element. But once again, after properly being open to the new music, I realized Opeth (as true progressive artists) made something great. And for me, Pale Communion was further growth, and now, Sorceress is a masterpiece.

Ditto for me (sans the Sorceress - not feeling it).

An absolutely amazing post. I feel 1000% the same way. Alas, I absolutely love the last "non-growl" vocal albums. MASTERPIECES.

Mikael is a very smart man.

Very comedic too.

I love hearing him speak in between songs.

Near the end of the show they kept playing songs and fuckking up.

At first I thought they were really fuckking up.

But it was all just a gag.

Then after all the banter and musical blather and fake mistakes they ripped into "Deliverance."

I love that song just as much as I love the movie!!!!

SQUEAL LIKE A PIG MIKAEL!

Mikael even brought up Bruce Springsteen. UGH!

Mikael was "Born To Run" his mouth! LOL!

I love him!

• Like 1

I can't take "Sorceress" out of my five disc changer.

A masterpiece yet again.

• Like 2

I can't take "Sorceress" out of my five disc changer.

A masterpiece yet again.

I've got three new discs in solid rotation now:

Opeth "Sorceress" (well, both discs actually - the live bonus tracks sound cool!)

John Wesley "A Way You'll Never Be"

Meshuggah "The Violent Sleep of Reason"

• Like 1

I used to be a huge SW fan, but these days I think he is a bit too much for my taste. I think I like my Prog watered down a bit. Kind of like my scotch. This being said, I love the new direction Opeth has taken. Listening to Sorceress right now. Fantastic!
  • Like 1

I used to be a huge SW fan, but these days I think he is a bit too much for my taste. I think I like my Prog watered down a bit. Kind of like my scotch. This being said, I love the new direction Opeth has taken. Listening to Sorceress right now. Fantastic!

Yes!