Need Some Advice On Cutting My Dog's Nails

Lucas

I need some advice on how to cut my dog's nails . .

He is not a biter - it's the squirming around and flailing that's the problem . .

In the past, I was able to get his nails when someone else distracted him with some food ... But now, he's fully aware of that game, and absolutely refuses to hold still ..

I am worried that he's going to have a heart attack or have one of his legs snap - it's that bad ....

He's less than 30lbs, so holding him down is not a problem - I don't know what to do, other than go to a vet and have him sedated, but I don't trust doctors ..

My only thought is to take him on walks ( runs ? ) on the pavement every day ... Maybe that will act as a natural nail file ( ? )

:D

Any suggestions would be great

THANKS

sweater_01.jpg

Hi Lucas,

You can take him to the vet for a nail trimming and they will immobilize him, possibly by turning him into a "doggy burrito", and a muzzle if necessary. Sedation would only be required if the dog was large and dangerous. It will probably cost something like $20.

His nails might wear down on the sidewalks, but keep a close eye on them because if they don't wear down they could cause him pain or get caught in something. From what I can see they don't look too long right now.

Best of luck with the cute little guy :)

• Like 1

I'd love to help you, amigo, but last time I cut one of my dog's nails, I drew blood. :(

I'd go with X1yyz's advice. The vet or the groomer.

Playing fetch on the driveway couldn't hurt.

• Like 1

Thanks ILSnwdog and x1yyz

The weather has been perfect here lately for walks, so I'll start with that .. There are plenty of small streets here in the neighborhood with no traffic ..

x1, that's an older pic ... His nails are longer than that now :o

• Like 1

This is why it's always a good idea to trim their nails frequently. You can try to get him used to it by rubbing his claws and then giving him a treat. Hold the clippers next to his claws, massage his toes and claws, hold the clippers next to his claws, massage his toes and praise him and give him a treat. Etc. it can be done. I've seen some pretty freaked out dogs get used to it with the treatment it can be done. I've seen some pretty freaked out dogs get used to it with the treat method.
  • Like 1

This is why it's always a good idea to trim their nails frequently. You can try to get him used to it by rubbing his claws and then giving him a treat. Hold the clippers next to his claws, massage his toes and claws, hold the clippers next to his claws, massage his toes and praise him and give him a treat. Etc. it can be done. I've seen some pretty freaked out dogs get used to it with the treatment it can be done. I've seen some pretty freaked out dogs get used to it with the treat method.

oh boy :D

I'll give that a try ... That method has helped when he gets a bath, but for some reason, with his front legs he's so reactionary .... The back legs are fine - but in the front, I can't even get near the claws ..

• Like 1

I'll give that a try ... That method has helped when he gets a bath, but for some reason, with his front legs he's so reactionary .... The back legs are fine - but in the front, I can't even get near the claws ..

What does he do?

• Like 1

I used to have a mini Dachshund that had the black nails. Very difficult to see where to cut. On top of that she was a psycho bitch and we had to muzzle her. I usually had to take her to Petsmart or Petco and have them deal with it. They earned their 20 bucks. But yes treat bribery works with most dogs. A small treat for every nail so she learns the association. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

I used to have a dog (he past away not to long ago) that had really long nails, and he really refused to get them cut. But I just hold him down with force and cut them 1 paw at the time, and I gave him a candy when it was done.

It was not perfect, but it had to be done, so I did what I had to do. Even tho he cried every time.

• Like 1

I had to do the same thing as Zumbi. My chihuahua/beagle mix was a complete dick about this...freaking out, biting, etc. I put a muzzle on him and held him down a few times, giving him treats while I did it and now he's okay. Guess it's just not a battle he wants to fight anymore. My other dogs (pit/lab mixes) run around the yard all the time and I don't have to trim them nearly as much. Thankfully, they're much cooler about it. I use a flashlight with the black one to help me see the quick.
  • Like 1

What does he do?

Eagle, he flails and squirms .. He's never bitten anyone, so that is not an issue .. The thing that concerns me it that once I've got a hold of him, he starts hyperventilating .. He is fearless and very athletic, but when he starts the hyperventilating, he gets a look of fear in his eyes and I am worried he's going to have a heart attack or something ..

I've got this phobia because my Dad died during a routine stress test

I will try again with some more treats, and I'll have my sis help ... If that doesn't work, I'll try to get some when he is sleeping - he likes to bury himself in blankets, and because his legs are so long, they sometimes stick out :D

When I get home tonight, I'll take him for a brisk walk on the pavement

Edited by Lucas

Professional groomer.

I can't .. I just cannot trust anyone with him .... My sis volunteers at a local animal hospital, so she can help me ... Plus, she's told me things about how dogs are held down and restrained by the vet techs - I think this is doable with the help of my sis

What does he do?

Eagle, he flails and squirms .. He's never bitten anyone, so that is not an issue .. The thing that concerns me it that once I've got a hold of him, he starts hyperventilating .. He is fearless and very athletic, but when he starts the hyperventilating, he gets a look of fear in his eyes and I am worried he's going to have a heart attack or something ..

I will try again with some more treats, and I'll have my sis help ... If that doesn't work, I'll try to get some when he is sleeping - he likes to bury himself in blankets, and because his legs are so long, they sometimes stick out :D

Sounds like he's found your button to push. Dogs are smart. If they see you getting nervous they'll play it up as hard as they can. The other thing is if you grab him expecting him to freak out and tense up yourself, he's going to know what's coming. Try to keep calm and show him you're not going to take his BS any more. :)

• Like 1

What does he do?

Sounds like he's found your button to push. Dogs are smart. If they see you getting nervous they'll play it up as hard as they can. The other thing is if you grab him expecting him to freak out and tense up yourself, he's going to know what's coming. Try to keep calm and show him you're not going to take his BS any more. :)

you're 100% correct

Where do you think he got all that BS from anyway ??

:D

• Like 1