Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

View PostTFEman, on 05 December 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

View Post78jazz, on 04 December 2016 - 12:42 AM, said:

View Postytserush, on 02 December 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

View PostTFEman, on 12 November 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

View Postsnowdog2112, on 07 November 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 04 November 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

View Postrugen, on 04 November 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

So it's going to be the show at auburn hills march 8th already available in You Tub, just frustrating that it's not the complete show.

That's where the clips from the doc appear to be from. The quality doesn't look that much better than the low-gen stuff that's already out there, but at least there's an official release. It would have made sense to release the whole show (which I'm sure will happen in the future based on the past several years. Laura Secord.... Capitol Theatre....)

I can't remember if I have the Palace DVD or not, but I have the whole show on video. Visually, the 3/8/90 Detroit show is better than Mountainview.

You think so? I agree that in terms of wide shots and overall coverage and stuff it's better captured as a show but I've got both the Mountain View and Auburn Hills shows from 1990 and I think Mountain view is much cleaner audio and video-wise. That's why I was shocked to hear people say the bonus content comes from the Auburn Hills proshot. Bordercollie wrote elsewhere - "The Presto footage is indeed from the Auburn Hills March 8 show.  Sounded fantastic and looked much better than what has been floating around the internet/trading circles.  The played a montage of Red Barchetta through the years and there were brief audio/video clips from various releases, including the "new" Presto footage." But I haven't seen the doc yet so I'll be curious to see for myself.

Secondly, TFEman wrote above "I can't stress enough that Rush has access to TONS of pro-shot footage that was always ready just in case they wanted to make a lconcert film. I would expect neither of those two boots to be the source of this new bonus content." but I couldn't disagree more. While their live audio recordings are almost surely extensive I'm pretty sure their video library is virtually exhausted other than the remaining half of the Toronto TFE show. The only hope for any other proshot shows would be if somehow another venue filmed show leaked. I'm still holding out hope that the RTB tour was also fully filmed at Auburn Hills. There are so many proshot clips from throughout the show and the previous and following tours were both filmed there.

Other than that? We'd have to get really lucky that maybe one of the other venues like the Houston Summit that filmed often may have something in their vault. But that's about it. The ONLY other hope I see is more footage from shows we've already seen. For example, the Atlanta show in 2008 that the four bonus songs were pulled from. They obviously filmed more because there are several other different songs on Neil's own dvd that were filmed there. And then of course there's the slim hope that the remaining footage from the three 80s shows could be found and restored. I don't think we'll ever see any more of those though. But people who are just assuming that Rush has all these proshot shows just sitting in a vault are not realistic at all about that. I've heard people say things like "They should release a dvd from the Signals tour" or some other random thing as though they can just go back in time and film stuff. Filming a show is a major undertaking and is also almost impossible to do without people knowing. The idea that they set up (especially 20 or more years ago when there weren't even rearscreen cameras) and filmed shows that we don't know about is just fantasy.

So those are my thoughts...
I said that because I was told that by someone that the band supposedly sits on a lot of footage from a couple of tours. I never said I believe it, or that I know 100% for a fact. It was also kind-of an assumption, considering how on almost all of their live albums before R30, they have bonus tracks from different dates during the tour, or in the case of Different Stages, different dates from an entirely different tour.

Geddy is on the record as saying that nearly every show from the Test For Echo Tour was recorded (audio) because they could (whether they still have all of that is another story entirely.)

I thought this was also the case with the HYF tour, and every night has been recorded starting with January 22, 1994.
How did you find that out? I knew there had to be some explaination for the Counterparts SBDs on Different Stages but I had no idea they recorded eery single show.

I believe they have spoken of this in interviews.

Sponsored Post

#42 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostTFEman, on 05 December 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

How did you find that out? I knew there had to be some explaination for the Counterparts SBDs on Different Stages but I had no idea they recorded eery single show.
Alex broke it down in an interview in the 1994-96 timeframe.  He said that they have 6-7 shows recorded on multitrack for every tour from Hemispheres on.  They started the practice of recording every show on two-track during the RtB tour.  (An example of which would be the bonus tracks on "Rush in Rio".)  Video is a whole separate deal

#43 78jazz

78jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

Really? I thought it was the CP tour. Silly me.

That 2-track stuff makes me wonder if any of it will see the light of day. I think doing something like Metallica has done would be nice, but I am not holding my breath.

#44 RangerXT

RangerXT

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Rush!!!!

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

View Post78jazz, on 07 December 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

Really? I thought it was the CP tour. Silly me.

That 2-track stuff makes me wonder if any of it will see the light of day. I think doing something like Metallica has done would be nice, but I am not holding my breath.

They have, albeit in un-offical releases.

There are many soundboard bootlegs from RTB, CP, and TFE tours that are near official quality.

Check out "Vital Dreams" from the RTB tour, "Nuts & Bolts" from the CP tour, or just about any bootleg from the TFE tour (favorites are Great Woods and Summer Skies and Bigger and better in texas)

#45 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23451 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

View PostTFEman, on 23 October 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

So it looks like the guys who supposedly had a incredibly large amount of pro shot footage from tours that we didn't get any DVD or album up until now are finally starting to release it. I'm sure everyone knows by now, but with the new R40 doc "Time Stand Still" comes extra pro shot footage from the PResto tour, entitled "Live From The Rabbit Hole." Any thoughts?
Yeah, a wonderful surprise and that was :rush: at their peak or pretty damn close. I'm blessed that the Vapor Trails tour was not my first!

#46 rugen

rugen

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:25 AM

I have thoughts of frustration seeing that the Presto footage was cut instead of giving us the whole show. I guess they wanted to keep the remaining for another cd,dvd package to get more money from us

#47 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

The remastered footage is on Youtube, I watched it.

It looks AMAZING! So beautifully detailed, WAY, WAY better than the bootleg. I'm so glad to have another vault release! This opens up the possibility for MORE in the future! All I wish is that it was the full show.

Some shows I KNOW they have:

Agora 12/16/1974 (FM Broadcast)
All three Massey Hall shows in full
All three St. Louis shows
Glasgow, 6/10-11/1980 (Second Side of ESL)
The full Montreal show (ESL)
Manchester, 6/17/1980 (Bangkok on Deluxe 2112)
Edmonton 6/25/1981 (2112 on 2112 Deluxe)
East Rutherford 1986 (Show of Hands)
New Orleans, Phoenix, and  San Diego 1988 (On Show Of Hands)
Mountain View 1990 (Pro-shot)
Auburn Hills 1994 (Pro-Shot, plus The Analog Kid on DS)
Miami 1994 (Show Don't Tell on DS)
Dallas, Mansfield, Molson, and Cinncinati 1997 (On Different Stages)
Hartford 2002 (Pro-shot)
Phoenix and Quebec 2002 (Bonus tracks on Rush In Rio)
Atlanta 2008 (Bonuses on SnA live)
Full Phoenix, Dallas, and San Antonio 2012 (CA live)
Kansas City, Buffalo, and Los Angeles 2015 (R40)

Edited by Eel Yddeg, 11 December 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#48 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

If they do another Clockwork Angels release, I pray that it will be better video and audio than the official release. Those were not good.

#49 RangerXT

RangerXT

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

It should be noted that they have even more shows recorded then the ones you listed... many shows from Roll The Bones, full show of GUP tour, more from counterparts, like 17 more shows recorded from T4E, and probably shows we don't even know they recorded that haven't been leaked.

#50 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

View Postrugen, on 10 December 2016 - 05:25 AM, said:

I have thoughts of frustration seeing that the Presto footage was cut instead of giving us the whole show. I guess they wanted to keep the remaining for another cd,dvd package to get more money from us

I think that's the last we're going to see of any Presto Tour footage, but then I've always considered that to be the mid-life crisis tour.

The set of non-Presto songs and the performances in general weren't very inspiring to me.

No way to prove this, but I think when Neil went back to school at some point after the tour ended could have been an indication that there needed to find more inspiration on a more consistent basis.

#51 RangerXT

RangerXT

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:06 AM

View Postytserush, on 17 December 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

I think that's the last we're going to see of any Presto Tour footage, but then I've always considered that to be the mid-life crisis tour.

The set of non-Presto songs and the performances in general weren't very inspiring to me.

No way to prove this, but I think when Neil went back to school at some point after the tour ended could have been an indication that there needed to find more inspiration on a more consistent basis.

At this point the band weren't sure of touring anymore, and I think you can really tell by watching the footage. Don't get me wrong, the performances were good, but it was more just going through the motions then some other tours. Even their newer stuff could have been a little more energetic then they were, listening to Presto songs performed on other tours there is a spark of life to it which is somewhat missing on tour as well, which is sad because the same can be said for the actual studio recordings.

That being said, Scars came off SUPER well, with the special effects, the performances, and really just everything. The band seemed to enjoy playing it as well. In my opinion the entire highlight of the tour was this song.

#52 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostRangerXT, on 20 December 2016 - 01:06 AM, said:

At this point the band weren't sure of touring anymore, and I think you can really tell by watching the footage. Don't get me wrong, the performances were good, but it was more just going through the motions then some other tours. Even their newer stuff could have been a little more energetic then they were, listening to Presto songs performed on other tours there is a spark of life to it which is somewhat missing on tour as well, which is sad because the same can be said for the actual studio recordings.

That being said, Scars came off SUPER well, with the special effects, the performances, and really just everything. The band seemed to enjoy playing it as well. In my opinion the entire highlight of the tour was this song.

The Presto songs are usually the highlight of the show. The guys in the band say they had fun on that tour. I'm glad they did.

It just didn't seem like it a lot of the time to me.

#53 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:23 PM

View PostTFEman, on 25 October 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

This vid is Mountain Views (or A View From The Mountain, I forget which one is which)

Funny how this was another exciting rush concert for me -not knowing that MV was about to be enshrined-

Edited by daveyt, 26 December 2016 - 11:23 PM.

#54 Duke1

Duke1

The Seeker

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:26 PM

Superconductor, Scars, Show Don't Tell, The Pass all came across really well... for me the one I enjoyed the most was War Paint, I thought that was just rockin' live.
Also loved the ending to Superconductor. I have a compilation Rush CD I put together a few years ago and all the tracks are live versions and this footage just reminded me how much better (for me personally) I enjoy "Live Rush" over "Studio Rush". Brilliant.

#55 tony990

tony990

The Seeker

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer/football, and music (Rush and Dream Theater are my favorites)

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostRangerXT, on 20 November 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

My copy that I pre-ordered was supposed to come on release date and now is being delayed until monday or tuesday, and I REALLY want to see Scars pro shot with professional sound/visual quality. I heard that each song fades in and out, is this true? That seems to be kind of awkward, oh well I can just rip the dvd and segue the audio together and make a little mini concert CD so that shouldn't be an issue.

Scars is one of my favorite songs off of Presto, but the live version sounds terrible. Not the playing, the vocals. They had a clip in the background that Geddy couldn't keep in sync with, all the while every time you heard "Scars of pain" it would repeat "pain" in the background like "p-p-p-p-pain-pain-pain" and honestly it sounded more like a garbage hip-hop or rap song than a prog rock song. Sorry to break it to you, but I honestly hated it.

#56 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

View Posttony990, on 30 December 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

My copy that I pre-ordered was supposed to come on release date and now is being delayed until monday or tuesday, and I REALLY want to see Scars pro shot with professional sound/visual quality. I heard that each song fades in and out, is this true? That seems to be kind of awkward, oh well I can just rip the dvd and segue the audio together and make a little mini concert CD so that shouldn't be an issue.

Scars is one of my favorite songs off of Presto, but the live version sounds terrible. Not the playing, the vocals. They had a clip in the background that Geddy couldn't keep in sync with, all the while every time you heard "Scars of pain" it would repeat "pain" in the background like "p-p-p-p-pain-pain-pain" and honestly it sounded more like a garbage hip-hop or rap song than a prog rock song. Sorry to break it to you, but I honestly hated it.

I always thought that was just Geddy being g-g-g-g-goofy. (Sometimes there are technical problems with that stuff, but that is the way it was done live in this case.)

#57 bordercollie

bordercollie

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, Geddy is being goofy. You can see him hitting the synth in correlation of the syllables being played back. There are different cadences on various boots.

#58 bordercollie

bordercollie

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

One nitpicky thing I hate about Scars live....

Going into the 2nd chorus, Alex plays a chord on beat 2 of the studio version. Scars *CHORD* of pleasure.....

Live, it's on beat 1 and loses all of its punch.

#59 tony990

tony990

The Seeker

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer/football, and music (Rush and Dream Theater are my favorites)

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

View Postytserush, on 30 December 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Posttony990, on 30 December 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

I always thought that was just Geddy being g-g-g-g-goofy. (Sometimes there are technical problems with that stuff, but that is the way it was done live in this case.)

Yeah it probably was but it just sounded terrible in my opinion.

#60 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

View Postytserush, on 20 December 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

View PostRangerXT, on 20 December 2016 - 01:06 AM, said:

The Presto songs are usually the highlight of the show. The guys in the band say they had fun on that tour. I'm glad they did.

It just didn't seem like it a lot of the time to me.

Wow... it's funny about different perspectives.

I actually thought that on my first tour (HYF) they were just going through the motions, even though I enjoyed the hell out of that show.  Whereas the Presto shows I saw had WAY more energy and the band seemed more into it.   Mid-life crisis or not... wow. :)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Presto tour, R40 tour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users