2016 World Series Thread - The Series of Destiny - Cubs vs. Indians

The Analog Cub

The two teams with the longest championship droughts in MLB. Already a historic year in baseball for these two teams, and the outcome, no matter which winner, will be monumental.

/beginShitpost

Bring it, Tribe. Everyone already hates your city because of the Cavs this year and the Browns every year.

/endShitpost

Everyone hates Cleveland because of the Browns? Ha, maybe, but I didn't know that, if anything I thought "we" (though not from Cleveland, or even Ohio, I'm a life-long long-time suffering Cleveland fan from a family of long-time long-suffering Cleveland fans; congenital condition inherited from a hopelessly devoted and faithful dad), were pitied because of the Browns. I should say the New Browns. The Old Browns that I grew up loving were a different team. Old Browns had a cumulative regular season record of 374-255-10 over 46 years, 1950-1995; the best franchise winning percentage of any NFL team through 1995. Throw out the 5-11 '95 lame duck season and they have a .590 winning percentage, far and away the best (I think the Bears and the Cowboys were second and third, but not threatening). The New Browns have an NFL worst .320 combined winning percentage going into this (so far 0-7) season. Worst yet, once the New Browns hit 0-10 this season, the franchise Browns record will be an even .500. So, in a little over 17 1/2 seasons, the New Browns will have wiped out the gains the Old Browns accumulated over 46 years of unmatched success in terms of wins and losses. So, I'm no longer much of an NFL fan; growing up the NFL was a religion to me but that devotion died in '95. Even if the New Browns were to become successful I'd still see them as a different thing, a different legacy. They can trot out Jim Brown from time to time but it's still not the same team. Wish they had been called the Bulldogs, in honor of both the Canton Bulldogs and the old Dawg Pound; leave the Old Browns legacy out of it.

So, with the NFL being no more than background amusement to me, and not being much of a basketball fan (though I was happy for the city), all my remaining professional sports fanaticism is channeled into The Tribe; as my late dad would have liked, actually; as much as a Browns fan as we was, the Indians were always his first love, far and away.

Re this series, Cubs deserve all the accolades they get but it seems most people underestimate the Tribe. In the AL, second best record, second best run differential, second most runs scored, second lowest ERA. Most significantly, maybe, from June 1 on -- the last 2/3 of the season -- they are tied with the Cubs for the best record in baseball, at 68-43. IOW, throw out April and May and Cleveland was just as successful as the Cubs. So they're good, they're not a fluke. And they're hot. Going back to the last weekend of the regular season against KC, they've won 11 of their last 12. Considering the competition over that span, that's kind of amazing. True that momentum (usually) lasts only so long as your next starting pitcher, but Francona just has these guys playing very good baseball. If Cubs win the series they'll have earned it; it shouldn't be the cakewalk some seemed to anticipate, regardless of how tonight goes.

Anyway, ice broken with game 1, this game 2 will really determine who goes to Chicago with an advantage, esp with Hendricks coming up in game 3. What I like about this series is that if the Tribe loses, it will suck, but at least I can appreciate the Cubs and their fans getting the win. Love Kershaw, but if we were playing LA, the thought of losing would make me ill (it's the city, not the team). If I could script the series, the home team would win every game, sending fans in each city home happy each game, with the Indians winning on a walk-off Napoli homer in the 7th game. Wouldn't feel too sorry for the Cubs as they are so good and so young that unlike past misses, if they don't win it this time they'll be back. We'll see.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

This cracked me up:

"Against the Indians, Arrieta at least has to be the guy who started against the Giants. It would be better if he could be the guy who started the regular season. But either way, he can’t get outpitched by a guy who’s dumb enough to shred a pinkie while plugging in a toy drone."

Italics mine. I was so pissed when I learned how Bauer cut his finger and that it was going to cause problems with what was left of a starting rotation already missing Carrasco and Salazar. Tonight is the "Battle of the Weirdos." Likable weirdos at least. May the best weirdo win (I hope it's ours).

http://www.chicagotr...026-column.html

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

As a Tribe fan, watching Bauer pitch was just brutal. No out pitch. How many balls did Rizzo foul off before lacing that double? His two runs given up is misleading; should've been three times that. Hope that's the last we see of him. Have Salazar start game 5. Hard to question Francona, but my rotation would have been Kluber, Tomlin, Bauer, Kluber, Salazar, Tomlin, Kluber. Tomlin's better with plenty of rest. Spreading his starts by splitting games between Bauer and a still-recovering (?) Salazar would have given the Indians the best chance of winning of prolonged series.

Well, Hendricks next. I usually say that the one thing you can expect with baseball is that things never go as expected, but the first two games actually went exactly as I expected, apart from Lester's walks and Perez's game 1 production, but the results would have been the same. I just hope game 3 doesn't go as one would expect.

• Like 1

Well.. Last night was a complete turn around from game one , Bauer on the mound is always a worry no middle ground with that guy either pitches lights out or unfortunately the results from last night is the other end of the spectrum .. The whole team played lousy no excuses, like Tito said in post game he's surprised it didn't end up worse think the Cubs would've doubled there run count making it 10-1 all the sloppy miscues.. On a side note.. I wonder why the Fox booth didn't mention Chicago's Schwarber and the injury he's working through?? :eyeroll: :sarcastic: Jesus we get it.. Him and Joe Buck need get a room...
  • Like 1

error.. blaming computer please void and move along.. :P Edited by softfilter

Even if the New Browns were to become successful I'd still see them as a different thing, a different legacy. They can trot out Jim Brown from time to time but it's still not the same team. Wish they had been called the Bulldogs, in honor of both the Canton Bulldogs and the old Dawg Pound; leave the Old Browns legacy out of it.

An oldie but a goodie. Earnest Byner was so distraught after his fumble that he was going to kill himself but he kept dropping the gun.
  • Like 1

"Even if the New Browns were to become successful I'd still see them as a different thing, a different legacy. They can trot out Jim Brown from time to time but it's still not the same team. Wish they had been called the Bulldogs, in honor of both the Canton Bulldogs and the old Dawg Pound; leave the Old Browns legacy out of it." :fistbump: :yes: I always felt that way when the new 1999 version Browns came back, they don't deserve to be attached with the winning legacy of the original Browns. Modell is the one who granted Cleveland the right to use the name.. Btw I'm from Canton and always had interest in the history of early years pro football.. Fyi The Canton Bulldogs moved to Cleveland and won NFL title in 1924.. ;) Edited by softfilter
  • Like 1

Even if the New Browns were to become successful I'd still see them as a different thing, a different legacy. They can trot out Jim Brown from time to time but it's still not the same team. Wish they had been called the Bulldogs, in honor of both the Canton Bulldogs and the old Dawg Pound; leave the Old Browns legacy out of it.

An oldie but a goodie. Earnest Byner was so distraught after his fumble that he was going to kill himself but he kept dropping the gun.

Never heard that but it's good. I loved Byner though, still do. Living in the DC area, I watched him play with the Redskins following that fumble (Modell had so much personal failure to deal with that he couldn't tolerate anyone else's) and their fans loved him too.

I remember well watching the drive that ended in The Fumble. Byner was carrying the offense at that point really. Kosar would dump the ball to him and he would ball. At one point around midfield, or maybe just past, he was carrying the ball with one hand and actually lifted it over a defender that had gone at him low. I yelled, "Don't do that! Protect the ball!!!" Lo and behold. I can still picture Ozzie Newsome walking off the field, head drooping, completely dejected. That one hurt me more than The Drive game, as I thought the Browns would have matched up well in the Superbowl against the Redskins, whereas The Drive game winner won the right to go against that '86 Giants team, who were total monsters.

Anyway, pundits are back predicting the Tribe's demise, but they've been doing that since Salazar went down at the beginning of September. Yet Indians have been finding a way so far. We'll see if it continues. Word from my Cleveland friends is that Bauer will still start game 5, but probably on a short leash with Salazar (60 pitch limit supposedly) or Merritt ready for long relief.

Tomlin's recently-paralyzed dad in the stands to watch him tonight so hope Tomlin pitches well regardless of who wins.