Online Fan Forums Do a Disservice to Music as a Whole

Tick

Yapping away and blowing hot air about music has always been around. Look at the Folkies when Dylan plugged in an electric guitar. Snobs be snobs and it's wonderful. I should know! I am a snob.

Debate, defend, defile.

Like what you like. Stick up for it. And keep your ears open.

• Like 2

Yapping away and blowing hot air about music has always been around. Look at the Folkies when Dylan plugged in an electric guitar. Snobs be snobs and it's wonderful. I should know! I am a snob.

Debate, defend, defile.

Defile.

Case in point:

Bon Jovi released FOUR amazing eighties albums:

Hehehehehehehehehehehehe...

• Like 1

Debate, defend, defile.

Defile.

Case in point:

My thoughts on that are well documented. I will no longer cross that line!

Debate, defend, defile.

Defile.

Case in point:

My thoughts on that are well documented. I will no longer cross that line!

Heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheehehehehe...

I'm just being a 90%er

• Like 1

My opinion is STILL the only one that matters ! Back in the day you had rags like Rolling Stone "influencing" the weak-minded.

I think internet forums such as this are great, sometimes the passion with which certain songs are defended by some encourages me to go back and give something another chance, also seeing/hearing what other people listen to gives me new bands to try out I may not have known about before.

The notion that being influenced by other people opinions makes you "weak minded" is bull shit.

And ReGor...wherever he is...really helped me open up to lots of bands I always thought were overrated. I enjoyed talking to him.

Where is he?

ReGor is the best ... He'll be back

• Like 1

I started this thread because while I agree music forums do add a lot as far as people guiding me to stuff I would have not found otherwise they sway me at times in a negative way. Does the good outweigh the bad? Yes, I will say it does.

The negative for me...

I do find myself going into something I was looking forward to hearing with a slightly skewed thought process going in due to negativity before I've heard it for myself. It happened recently with the new Marillion album. Some fans loved it but others were ripping it up. I found myself pondering comments I read while listening the first time. I guess it didn't really change my view all that much it just kind of messed with me a bit.

Same thing was the case with, The Astonishing. Such polarizing views. So many hated it, and I really liked it a lot. The shit storm in the DT thread got ugly, and I'm to blame for that as much as anyone was.

Well, it has been an interesting topic. Although some people are always gonna be negative and bash stuff, at least a passion fot it comes out. Good or bad. I guess you have to just take it lightly.

My overall theory is just not to take the interwebz too seriously. I just try and have fun with it.

• Like 1

Actually I disagree. It helps others get the word out on bands they've never heard of. I never would have known about Mastodon and Baroness without this site so I'm grateful.

I never would have listened to Ghost if it wasn't for this forum. (I had heard the name, but wrote them off as Death Metal after seeing a photo.) Now I LOVE them!

I also have found many bands as per suggestions on this site and others - I guess I was interpreting this thread and the effect as something more subliminal. Like, a comment about the last couple notes of a guitar solo or a drum fill not fitting or a tempo choice or backing vocals, etc. Without the outside influence, I would listen to the song and form my own opinion. But if I read some criticism about a specific part of a song, even a note choice, or rhythm, I might focus more on that than I would on my own. Subconsciously, my listening has been affected by reading other's comments. Of course, I am confident in my own taste and my own ears - but the comments still made me think about that detail more than I would have otherwise. This might enhance what I think about the part or diminish it. Either way, I've been CONTAMINATED, I TELL YA! :16ton:

I guess, in all seriousness it great to have others to discuss it with. Even if you dont agree. I know very few people irl who are as passionate about music in general as i am, let alone have similar tastes

:yes:

Actually I disagree. It helps others get the word out on bands they've never heard of. I never would have known about Mastodon and Baroness without this site so I'm grateful.

I never would have listened to Ghost if it wasn't for this forum. (I had heard the name, but wrote them off as Death Metal after seeing a photo.) Now I LOVE them!

:cheerleader:

:yes:

People here have turned me onto some really interesting music.

• Like 1