Online Fan Forums Do a Disservice to Music as a Whole

Tick

Just my own opinion...

Remember the good old days (unless you are too young to relate) before the days of the internet, that like it or not bend and sway your opinions on music.

Before online forums you had no outside interference and static forcing to to ponder things you ordinarily might not.

Remember when a favorite of yours put out a new album and you accepted it for what it was and loved it warts and all.

Now its all....

"Well the first have of the album drags, the second half is better!"

"Track 3 sucks hard"

"I hate the ballads"

"Its the worst album they'll put out in years"

You get the point. I read this stuff and even though I'm a free thinking person, not a robot, its enters my consciousness and tries to change my perspective, when on my own I'd be perfectly content.

Now I know some will disagree and that's the point of this thread, but for me music was in its purest untainted form when yours and only your opinion was the one that mattered!

Have a great day, y'all be cool!

Edited by Tick
  • Like 3

I had a group of friends that said a lot of the same things before Internet. Now it's just a larger group. Easier to find "your people" these days and connect to music you would never have known
  • Like 4

I had a group of friends that said a lot of the same things before Internet. Now it's just a larger group. Easier to find "your people" these days and connect to music you would never have known

Its great in that respect. I guess its take the good with the bad. Good point though, I've been turned on to great stuff I otherwise would not have been.

Just my own opinion...

Remember the good old days (unless you are too young to relate) before the days of the internet, that like it or not bend and sway your opinions on music.

Before online forums you had no outside interference and static forcing to to ponder things you ordinarily might not.

Remember when a favorite of yours put out a new album and you accepted it for what it was and loved it warts and all.

Now its all....

"Track 3 sucks hard"

"I hate the ballads"

You get the point. I read this stuff and even though I'm a free thinking person, not a robot, its enters my consciousness and tries to change my perspective, when on my own I'd be perfectly content.

Now I know some will disagree and that's the point of this thread, but for me music was in its purest untainted form when yours and only your opinion was the one that mattered!

I get what you mean, but it also goes both ways. I recall the day that "Hold Your Fire" came out, September 1987. I was with my bandmates - all Rush fans, mostly of the pre-Signals era. They had serious expectation for the new Rush album. We drove to the record store, picked it up, and all listened to it together. By the end of "Time Stand Still" all the three others were out - they just could not take it. They had lost all hope and interest. For some reason though, it stuck with me - the intricately constructed drum parts, the obvious refined technique on display in guitar, bass, drums, the cool new electronic sounds, the vocal hooks... yeah, it wasn't Hemispheres, but it was still really interesting. I was the only one that really continued liking Rush. My friends ribbed me endlessly about liking the album - they butchered Aimee Mann's vocal line, as if to say "you like that shit?!?" I think it some ways, it taught me something - that my taste was all my own (thankfully, I never listened to critics either; f**k you very much, Rolling stone!) Fast forward to 1996, the first new Rush I experienced as part of an online community (The National Midnight Star, TNMS) and once again see the variety of opinions - I couldn't believe some fans weren't digging on the new album or at least some of it ( I mean, Driven was cool as f**k!) Once again, I had to accept these dissenting opinions and realize my own. I guess over these experiences I built some sort of resistance up. Another perspective is that I have a close personal friend that loves every single note that Rush produces and has never uttered a criticism of anything they've released. I find that I can't really explore my own thinking in that setting either - you know, initially, I found "How it Is" to be a grating song. Did not like it. While my buddy's influence didn't change my opinion (the VT remix and live version did), I still find that I don't try to engage for his opinion on songs because I already know his answer (concert reviews, that's another story.) But perhaps knowing that he digs everything enters my subconscious and makes me like things more? The peer pressure acts both ways. I think that I value my friend's opinions much more than those I read online - and that's not to say I live in an echo chamber either - many of my old buddies still don't like Rush after 1981!

On the other hand, yes, these opinions and critiques enter your mind, if even subconsciously, and affect your own thinking (Even if it's to rebel against them!) Ancient Ways makes a salient point - those influences were always there ("Nothing can survive in a vacuum... no one can exist all alone..")

• Like 2

It's not a problem. Finding more people who agree or disagree with me isn't an issue. If you're one who is easily swayed by someone's opinion, too bad. I know what I like and nobody is going to change that, plus, as previously mentioned, it's much easier to discover new music now (new to me).
  • Like 2

Yes, exactly. I learned decades ago to not give a crap about what other people think about things as subjective as music. Even here on a Rush forum (a band most of my IRL friends don't care for) my opinions are different than others. There are some albums I love that others do not (Clockwork Angels, Vapor Trails), and other albums I think are utter shite and can't even listen to that others rate highly (HYF). But the thing I think is great about the forum is that we can all talk about Rush, and other bands, in a way I could not with IRL friends.

Plus, Tick, you cited examples of people's opinions being colored by the negative opinions of others. But remember, they can also be influenced by the positive opinions of others!

It's not a problem. Finding more people who agree or disagree with me isn't an issue. If you're one who is easily swayed by someone's opinion, too bad. I know what I like and nobody is going to change that, plus, as previously mentioned, it's much easier to discover new music now (new to me).

Exactly. I find the musical opinions of others interesting, but I'm never swayed. I enjoy what I enjoy and that's not changing because of some outside commentary.

• Like 2

Exactly. I find the musical opinions of others interesting, but I'm never swayed. I enjoy what I enjoy and that's not changing because of some outside commentary.

I am not weak minded, BUT I do at times find myself pondering why someone doesn't like certain aspects of something when I otherwise would not. That's me though

I am not weak minded, BUT I do at times find myself pondering why someone doesn't like certain aspects of something when I otherwise would not. That's me though

Oh, I hear you. My opinions are always right so I cannot comprehend why others do not understand this! :LOL:

• Like 1

I grew up in a conservative, whitebread town, and aside from a very few kids I knew, I was surrounded by hate for the music I loved .. Not just hate for the music, but anyone who enjoyed it, didn't fall into the cliques or attend the pep rallies ..

Thankfully, my parents were as into music as I was, so I always had them to fall back on .... Which is odd, I suppose ..

Anyways, getting though middle school, socially and physically, was no small feat ...... That shit only drove me closer to what I love, and to who I am ..

As interesting it is to find people who share the same feelings about music, it is also interesting to interact with people who don't like some of the same things - the why can be less interesting than the why not ..

• Like 3

I think it's a combination of good and bad. We get exposed to a lot more things on the Internet, not all good but it's exposure. We have to learn to pick and choose from the plethora of information and opinions out there just like we were going to a garage sale. It takes some experience to pick out the good items from the junk.
  • Like 2

I get to talk to other music fans whenever I want? I love fan forums! Dissenting opinions will happen, and my opinion will be pressured towards them, but so many of them exist that I really feel better about it than if I only had one music fan friend to bounce my thoughts off of.
  • Like 2

Just my own opinion...

Now its all....

"Track 3 sucks hard"

"I hate the ballads"

Good points Ticky but as for me I just never let that shit get in my way. I like the albums and songs I like regardless of what the critics say and I always have.

• Like 2

I grew up in a conservative, whitebread town, and aside from a very few kids I knew, I was surrounded by hate for the music I loved .. Not just hate for the music, but anyone who enjoyed it, didn't fall into the cliques or attend the pep rallies ..

Thankfully, my parents were as into music as I was, so I always had them to fall back on .... Which is odd, I suppose ..

Anyways, getting though middle school, socially and physically, was no small feat ...... That shit only drove me closer to what I love, and to who I am ..

As interesting it is to find people who share the same feelings about music, it is also interesting to interact with people who don't like some of the same things - the why can be less interesting than the why not ..

Was it a town with a haunted house on the hill and crazy phantom clown that appeared now and then?

• Like 1

Was it a town with a haunted house on the hill and crazy phantom clown that appeared now and then?

Unfortunately, nothing so glamorous

It was a high school in which you were looked down on - by teachers and students - if you weren't active in the Young Republicans Club

The toxicity is a right pain in the arse, but it's worth it for the right people & new musical directions.

I suppose I'm the "wrong people" now am I your worship? Just because I fooled around in your Marillion thread! :16ton: You're never going to let it lie are you?? For all time!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, nothing so glamorous

It was a high school in which you were looked down on - by teachers and students - if you weren't active in the Young Republicans Club

My school was more of a "who's having a fight in the playground today?" kind of school... :D-13:

I guess, in all seriousness it great to have others to discuss it with. Even if you dont agree. I know very few people irl who are as passionate about music in general as i am, let alone have similar tastes Edited by djflex

I think it's a combination of good and bad. We get exposed to a lot more things on the Internet, not all good but it's exposure. We have to learn to pick and choose from the plethora of information and opinions out there just like we were going to a garage sale. It takes some experience to pick out the good items from the junk.

The ole' signal to noise ratio. I know it well.

• Like 1

Just my own opinion...

Now its all....

"Track 3 sucks hard"

"I hate the ballads"

Good points Ticky but as for me I just never let that shit get in my way. I like the albums and songs I like regardless of what the critics say and I always have.

It's why you are a top five poster for me.

You have the taste in music I most admire and enjoy reading about.