Post-Hardcore

Super25Smasher

I listened to Sleeping With Sirens, I really don't like that kind of music at all. It's the singing actually, I never liked that emotive style and general 'prettiness'- although it's hard to describe what I mean by that.

I couldn't access the other band, probably because I'm in Canada.

I listened to Sleeping With Sirens, I really don't like that kind of music at all. It's the singing actually, I never liked that emotive style and general 'prettiness'- although it's hard to describe what I mean by that.

To be honest I don't either but I haven't found many bands in this style to my I Teresa since 2006.

Funeral For A Friend

Thrice

Planes Mistaken For Stars

Glassjaw

Jawbreaker

Rival Schools

Brand New (sorta)

Prong, Celtic Frost, Voivod and Killing Joke are all bands that I like that were what I sort of feel fit this description - maybe not so much, I don't know .. I'm just going by what I knew as hardcore, and then the early branches that popped out ..

I think a lot of modern bands embrace the term because they feel legitimized by the term "hardcore" - but there's really nothing hardcore about them

You are wrong and none of those bands are close.

oh Segue please stop - you and you gd labels

If you want to get into again with shit like Thrice, I'm up for it

There is nothing remotely "hardcore" about that lightweight shit

Try to validate your tatses all you want, but Thrice have more in common with One Direction than any hardcore movement

But how do you really feel??

I dont know wtf Post-hardcore is but has anyone heard the Fall??

• Like 2

Sleeping with Sirens and Pierce the Veil aren't for everyone - the voices typically determine that. Vic Fuentes (Pierce the Veil) and Kellin Quinn (Seeping with Sirens; also appears on the PTV song i posted) have distinct, high voices.

Prong, Celtic Frost, Voivod and Killing Joke are all bands that I like that were what I sort of feel fit this description - maybe not so much, I don't know .. I'm just going by what I knew as hardcore, and then the early branches that popped out ..

I think a lot of modern bands embrace the term because they feel legitimized by the term "hardcore" - but there's really nothing hardcore about them

Try to validate your tatses all you want, but Thrice have more in common with One Direction than any hardcore movement

Yes you heard one song well done

And One Direction have way more musical merit than your K-pop junk

And it's good to know you have authority to state a well established genre that has been loved and respected for two or more decades is decidedly less important or completely a sham compared to tiny Asian girls dancing in their underwear singing vapid, musically dead cack

We're talking about "hardcore" Segue, not pop music - I am not calling into question you taste in music, which is vast and extremely open minded ..... I love a lot of music that other consider worthless, but I could care less ..

And how can you say that I have listened to one song from any particular band ?? .. To this, I will not even go further

But the term "post hardcore" can be a subjective thing. within limits ..

I mentioned the bands THAT I LIKED, that may or may not fall under that label

You said I was "wrong" - WTF ??

At least the bands I mentioned have some connection to hardcore music ..... I mention One Direction not because I like or dislike them, but because they have no tangible connection to hardcore ... And neither does Thrice

I once thought hardcore ended in 1986 with the Cro-Mags releasing the last hardcore album, Age of Quarrel.

But of course that was just old people whining. Musical trends evolve continuously and every so often enough people can't age to the point they no longer recognize a given genre.

So hardcore continues, and we get Gorilla Biscuits, Madball, until the unfortunate trend of Earth Crisis.

And somewhere along the way bands started being called hardcore that don't seem hardcore at all to me.

I swear I thought this thread would be about Fugazi, maybe the Minutemen and Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr., FNM, perhaps the Melvins. Turns out I don't know.

Maybe I like post hardcore. I will listen to those bands and let you know.

Exactly. ..it's called post because it came from something but progressed way past it.

And I ask anyone to listen to The Illusion Of Safety by Thrice and tell me it sounds like One Direction. Ridiculous.

Where did I say they sound alike ??

They share one thing - nothing close to being hardcore

That doesn't mean they sound alike

But how do you really feel??

I dont know wtf Post-hardcore is but has anyone heard the Fall??

My sister loved The Fall .. I remember seeing them with her back in the early-mid 80s ... She was a big part of my musical upbringing, as she went to see a lot of great shows in NJ/NY late 70s-mid 80s ....

She was friends with a couple of guys from The Pagans, and I'd tag along to shows that I'd never have gone to without them - Agnostic Front, Adrenalin O.D., Murphy's Law - those shows were f***ing scary, esp Agnostic Front because it was a bunch of skinheads ..

That is what I knew as hardcore

So when I see this word attached to some of these modern douchebag bands, it is ridiculous

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I looked at the list of post-hardcore bands on Wiki and that shit is all over the place. Nomeansno (AWESOME!) and Hawthorne Heights (TERRIBLE!) in the same group. Yall trippin.

I do like a number of these bands though...I was a huge At the Drive-In fan, I still love Brand New, I liked Fall of Troy's first two or three albums a lot, and early Thrice was cool. Poison the Well isn't on that list, but I've heard them labeled post-hardcore. Versions is a great album.

• Like 1

I looked at the list of post-hardcore bands on Wiki and that shit is all over the place. Nomeansno (AWESOME!) and Hawthorne Heights (TERRIBLE!) in the same group. Yall trippin.

I do like a number of these bands though...I was a huge At the Drive-In fan, I still love Brand New, I liked Fall of Troy's first two or three albums a lot, and early Thrice was cool. Poison the Well isn't on that list, but I've heard them labeled post-hardcore. Versions is a great album.

Hawthorne Heights were part of the commercial scene that blanded out the genre for a while...

The rest of those bands are amazing.

Thrice are still wonderful but went for a more alt-rock/country rock style around 2009.

The latest album is a masterpiece.

• Like 2

I've heard these guys referred to as post-hardcore before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX8oCslGk0Q

Edited by Super25Smasher

Someone mentioned Steve Albini earlier in the thread...I don't listen to Shellac much but I like At Action Park. I also like Slint whom Albini recorded their first album.

This song however is from their 2nd, last, and arguably best known album Spiderland.

I never thought I'd see celtic frost, voivod, numerous SST/discord bands, etc brought up in a TRF thread

Same. eugh...so out of place...and those bands are amazing but...SINCE WHEN??

I'm getting nervous. let's talk about van halen instead...

I'd rather talk about Cirith Ungol and the amazing music they created with that damn weird vocalist it haha

Edited by Segue Myles