Rush dont do covers but if they did what songs should they do?

Steve Smith

Hello All

Thanks for all the replies.

I really dont wish to dumb things down please but I just wondered what would be great songs that Rush could cover if they chose to do a few.

I will start off the conversation with this one. I think Rush could do a fantastic version.

Sorry if you all think I am being a philistine but I have always wondered what the band might cover if they wanted to. After all they started in 1968 doing classic English rock covers.

Any ideas anyone?

Steve

To the person that suggested Boy George. You are taking the piss yeah? I remember Spirit of Radio got into the English charts in 1980. Top of the Pops humiliated me and every Rush fan by playing it through the lack of video with the bimbo's dancing around in clown costumes. Oh the shame of it!

I mean I am not trying to disrespect Culture Club but they were of their time. You know I hated all of those bands in the 80's but a couple of years ago I went to see Spandau Ballet and they were brilliant!

Culture Club? Duran Duran!!!!!!? I was thinking more of classic songs. Perhaps I may need to change my name to Mary Shelley now. I mean The Police or The Clash or The Smiths or The Jam even but come on people. Please do better!!!

Hey pal, you got Kashmir and Thick As A Brick. Those are better!

:poke:

Oh, the guy that mentioned Boy George is always serious. He's from a town called Goatnut in Tennessee where the goats outnumber men 50 to 1. And he's happy for it. And exhausted.

• Like 7

Johhny Blaze - Thanks dude. Maybe a troll but he is an intelligent troll. Sorry for starting this monster of a thread. But it was just that I wondered what the band would play as covers. Sorry I should have kept my fat gob shut. I just thought I could find my sanctuary here amongst fellow fans. I still have the original copy of Guitar Player magazine from 1980 with interviews with Alex and Geddy and Alex freaking out in his pink satin shirt with the white ES355. It is in my cupboard in a plastic bag and it aint going anywhere.

Take care my friend

Stevie Smith

• Like 2

Johhny Blaze - Thanks dude. Maybe a troll but he is an intelligent troll. Sorry for starting this monster of a thread. But it was just that I wondered what the band would play as covers. Sorry I should have kept my fat gob shut. I just thought I could find my sanctuary here amongst fellow fans. I still have the original copy of Guitar Player magazine from 1980 with interviews with Alex and Geddy and Alex freaking out in his pink satin shirt with the white ES355. It is in my cupboard in a plastic bag and it aint going anywhere.

Take care my friend

Stevie Smith

I think it's great to wonder, but most of us think Feedback was a Fair to Poor effort.

The songs they selected were neat when you read them, but they were mostly blah when you heard them.

And most were great songs ORIGINALLY

I personally would never want them to do it again, unless they really put some effort into it.

Sounds like they put about 2 tries into each song before recording Feedback.

Covers are easy to spot when the artist is not entirely into the effort, and it showed.

That's why we are not taking this thread seriously, the band did not take the process seriously

Edited by Disembodied Spirit

Rather than Rush covering something like an old prog rock song, I'd rather hear them cover something completely new to them, but in their own style. What about an old crooner classic, or some pop song, but done in a very hard-rocking Rush way?
  • Like 4

Take care my friend

Stevie Smith

Nah, the guy you're talking about is no troll. Just a smart, playful funny man.

• Like 3

1. Deep Purple -- Child In Time

2. Talking Heads -- Memories Can't Wait

3. Police -- Secret journey

4. Iron Maiden -- Rime of the Ancient Mariner

5. Hawkwind -- Master of the Universe

6. Alchemist -- Escape From the Black Hole

7. Corrosion of Conformity -- Damned For All Time

8. Heart -- Mistral Wind

9. Living Colour -- Information Overload

10. Soundgarden -- Room A Thousand Years Wide

11. Blue Oyster Cult -- Black Blade