Hold Your Fire vs. Big Generator - The Battle of 1987

x1yyz

Battle of 1987  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of 1987

• Rush - Hold Your Fire
    • Yes - Big Generator

I think Hold Your Fire is magnificent. Rush stepped out of the box with Hold Your Fire. Yes stayed in the box with Big Generator.

Agreed. It's the same as 90125 or whatever that was called.

Although I think the songs are a bit better in BG...

But these albums sound more like Air Supply than the band that gave us Close To The Edge. Sad.

The thing is, HYF sounds like Air Supply to me.

Get your hearing checked out. Pronto.

• Like 1

Tonight, in the quiet comfort of home, I will listen to these two, back to back

I need to do this alone, at home, just in case the fetal position calls

Hold Your Fire is full of subtle beauty. Don't play it just once.

• Like 2

I think Big Generator is a great album.Jon Anderson is in absolute top form.Shoot High is a masterpiece,title track a disjointed bunch of noise.Love the second side.I loved HYF when it came out but it has dated where as Power Windows hasn't.Still have to go with HYF

I'll go with which ever one you like better. I trust your judgement... :cheers:
  • Like 1

Just finished listening to both Big Generator and Hold Your Fire ..

Even though I don't own either ( anymore ), I am much more familiar with Hold Your Fire - I actually had listened to the entire thing not too long ago ..

The best song on either is Holy Lamb .. I had never heard that song before, and while it is way too short, it is a great bit of Jon Anderson ... For that alone, Big Generator gets my vote, even though, overall, the album is weak ....

There was one part of Final Eyes - about three quarters of the way through - that was absolutely beautiful ..

Big Generator threw a lot out there - it was a more diverse album, and Jon Anderson was giving it his all .... But there wasn't much I actually enjoyed, other than the Holy Lamb ..

With the exception of Tai Shan, everything on Hold Your Fire sounds the same - it is a dreadful listening experience, esp with with Neil's self important grade school lyrics - Geddy shoehorning that drivel into all those sound alike songs gets old, fast ..

I actually do like Tai Shan, all things considered ... when listening to the album front to back, by the time Tai Shan comes around, it was a welcome change from the same thing over and over ..

Overall, Big Generator is a disjointed mess, but Hold Your Fire is just grating and repetitive

Alex should be dick slapped for that era

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

In the battle of Permanent Waves vs. Drama, Rush has blown Yes out of the water. As another poster mentioned, it's hard for one of Rush's most beloved albums to lose a contest against anything else on this forum. But what about a not-so-beloved album?

Imagine it's 1987. The face of music has changed, new wave and synthesizers have been ruling the airways, and 'prog rock' is now a dirty word that is only whispered in the backs of record stores. You love both Yes and Rush so you pick up both of their new releases. These albums are different from what either band released a decade ago.

Who comes out on top?

61OteTYL-xL.jpg

or

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/_graphics/release/release_17.jpg

Gina!

You are so fukking hilarious!

I think I made a comment on the "DRAMA" thread that "Big Generator" was better than "Drama."

I just listened to "Big Generator" two nights ago so it's fresh in my head.

"Big Generator" can't hold a "Force Ten" Flame to "Hold Your Fire."

HYF is a masterpiece. Every song is so fun to play to on the drums!!!

People on here rip this album apart all the time, but when I state over and over again how much I HATE GREEN DAY I mean "VAPOR TRAILS" I am raked over the coals of insecurity by some forudumb members.

Love it.

Bring it on haters.

I will never change.

HOLD YOUR FIRE RULES!

• Like 2

"Love Will Find a Way" - that is a great piece of music. I love that guitar riff, and I find the thing catchy as hell. But man, those lyrics: "Here is my heart / Waiting for you / Here is my soul / I eat at chez nous." Holy fuckall, man, is that really what he's singing??
  • Like 3

Even though I don't own either ( anymore ), I am much more familiar with Hold Your Fire - I actually had listened to the entire thing not too long ago ..

The best song on either is Holy Lamb .. I had never heard that song before, and while it is way too short, it is a great bit of Jon Anderson ... For that alone, Big Generator gets my vote, even though, overall, the album is weak ....

There was one part of Final Eyes - about three quarters of the way through - that was absolutely beautiful ..

Big Generator threw a lot out there - it was a more diverse album, and Jon Anderson was giving it his all .... But there wasn't much I actually enjoyed, other than the Holy Lamb ..

With the exception of Tai Shan, everything on Hold Your Fire sounds the same - it is a dreadful listening experience, esp with with Neil's self important grade school lyrics - Geddy shoehorning that drivel into all those sound alike songs gets old, fast ..

I actually do like Tai Shan, all things considered ... when listening to the album front to back, by the time Tai Shan comes around, it was a welcome change from the same thing over and over ..

Overall, Big Generator is a disjointed mess, but Hold Your Fire is just grating and repetitive

Thanks for the thorough review, Lucas!

• Like 1

lol

I needed it

Like vomiting a bad meal

• Like 1

Lucas!

I think I told you this story. Back in 1982 I was a freshman in high school.

I fell in love with Rush in the eighth grade. I bought "Moving Pictures" first on cassette. Hate to admit it. But I went back in time and bought the entire Rush catalog on cassette.

Anyway I remember when "Signals" came out. My mom drove me to Rainbow Records just so I could grab it on cassette.

I remember running to my room like a little boy on Christmas.

Couldn't wait to play it!!

Well after one listen I was soooo pissed off. I was angry!!

Shocked that the guitar parts were so missing in my young mind.

WTF?

I was so ticked.

I hated "Signals" with a passion.

But that was back then.

My point is I get it.

Since then Alex seemed to take a backseat through the synth Rush era which does suck monkey balls. But it is what it is.

"GUP" was so much better to my ears. The darkness with more ominous guitar parts.

I mean "Between The Wheels" simply rules. That Alex swift solo is off the charts.

But I get it.

• Like 1

lol

I needed it

Like vomiting a bad meal

Like vomiting a Happy Meal?

"Supersize Me!"

Disgusting

Neither hold up well but HYF by a nose. That being said they are both clearly lesser works by great bands. I enjoy Generator more these days but Ill go Fire for this one

Interesting to note that both if these and Crest of A Knave and Momentary Lapse came out the same week.

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 3

Neither hold up well but HYF by a nose. That being said they are both clearly lesser works by great bands. I enjoy Generator more these days but Ill go Fire for this one

Interesting to note that both if these and Crest of A Knave and Momentary Lapse came out the same week.

I mentioned Momentary Lapse earlier. I also thought that it'd be a closer race if it were that vs HYF.

Even with all the synth and reverb I think that Hold Your Fire is one of Rush's most sincerely emotional albums. I find it very positive and uplifting. And comforting.

Comforting like a warm Yamaha DX-7.

;)

What can I say? I like it. To paraphrase Mr. Bob Marley - When it hits me, I feel no pain.

• Like 1

Even with all the synth and reverb I think that Hold Your Fire is one of Rush's most sincerely emotional albums. I find it very positive and uplifting. And comforting.

Comforting like a warm Yamaha DX-7.

;)

What can I say? I like it. To paraphrase Mr. Bob Marley - When it hits me, I feel no pain.

"Sincerely emotional"...I agree.

Dude!

Where the hell have you been????

I'm dying here.

I need back up!

LOL!

Kidding..

Hope all is well DD!

• Like 1

Hold Your Fire is full of subtle beauty. Don't play it just once.

100% agree - Its a masterpiece. Also, before you listen to it, turn off all your TV's, radio etc. Have nothing but the sound of silence in the room and, after a moment of stillness and calm read the lyrics. Slowly. Very slowly. Out loud. Music is poetry accompanied by instruments and Neil's lyrics are some of the best poetry he has written.

After you have enjoyed the poetry, listen to it when you have the time to properly enjoy it without interruptions / distractions.

That will enable you to start to properly relish the masterpiece that it is.

• Like 1